Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to gain a lot of room on the side of my injection pump so that I can run an air compressor in place of the vacuum pump. The KSB has to go. I plan on making a cover to replace the KSB. The problem is, there is no room to tap the little line attached to the KSB into the cover.

From what I gathered from talking to RCCUMMINS89, the little line is the overflow from the case pressure regulator.

Can this line just be tied into the injector and injection pump return line?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All you have to do is plumb that line into your block off plate. Tap the thing right into the center.
I found a yard dog that the local seed farm has that has a VE pumped 5.9 with an air compressor that they let me look at. There is literally a 1/4" or less between the block off plate and air compressor.

What does it take to change pressure regulators?

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Simply finding one from a non ksb style truck. But then your case pressure potentially could be off.....

But where that line goes back into the pump... that's the regulator. You can remove it with a 10mm open end wrench.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Simply finding one from a non ksb style truck. But then your case pressure potentially could be off.....

But where that line goes back into the pump... that's the regulator. You can remove it with a 10mm open end wrench.
I would think that case pressure being off would be better than maxed all the time? What would the side effects be?

Do you think that you could find a regulator for me? PM me if you can come up with something if you would.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
New regulators are quite expensive... I don't have any used ones right now.

If the case pressure is off, your timing curve will be off. You can't run a pump with maxed case pressure... it'll literally blow itself up in the high rpm.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

If the case pressure is off, your timing curve will be off. You can't run a pump with maxed case pressure... it'll literally blow itself up in the high rpm.

So my best bet would be to find a core pump?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

How expensive?

·
Registered
414 Posts
why not re-think where the compressor should go? there's plenty of room on the other side of the engine. or you could remove the AC compressor and mod an air compressor in the same location. that way you're not messing with case pressure, timing, etc...

conrad

·
Registered
414 Posts
Oh, i assumed it was belt driven. still, it can't hurt to re-think compressor options. maybe use a non-stock compressor modified to go in a different location. i looked into OBA and it seems that the York 210 compressor was very popular and relatively cheap, and flowed quite a bit of air too! you could fabricate brackets so it could fit wherever you want, as long as you could get a belt to it. i could be way off base here but it's an idea.

conrad

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is in a 1991 F250. It would take a lot of doing to run a belt driven air compressor - and then they don't flow near as much.

I may have found a core pump.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Can the compressor be rotated a few degrees to clear the KSB? If you have clearance on the outboard side to rotate it, a new flange can be welded to the front of the unit to change the clocking.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts