Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my friend brought over his truck for me to take a look at and i thougth i would ask here first before going to far into it. Its a 2005 3/4 ton 4x4 auto trans. He said it was knocking so i took it for a quick drive it was knocking pretty loudly and putting out alot of smoke even at part throttle. The other thing its doing is wanting to keep revving. If you let off of it at about 70km it will keep pullin until like 80-85 km. Same at idle blip the trottle and it will rev right up and stay there for a bit. It wouldn't start about a month ago when he was at work and he took it to a dealership. They replaced the cp3 and put in a new grid heater. Also about two weeks ago he took it in for a "tune up" and they set the valves. Fuel filter is new and i put a new air filter in it. Sounds like an injector to me but i thought id see if any one else had an idea. He runs rig fuel alot cause its free so that might have blew off a tip? Oh and he doesnt have a programmer just 4inch exhaust. Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
What is the difference between regular diesel and rig fuel?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its known for being really dirty and full of water. A couple friends have tidy tanks and fill their trucks up with it and they are lucky if they make it 2 months without plugging a fuel filter solid.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sounds like an injector, had the same problem on my truck a while back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool thanks thats what i thought I just wanted to see if there was something electrical to check before I start pulling injectors. Like TPS or MAP or something. If it was one of those i could see the smoke and running on but not a knock. Oh and I dont have a fancy mac mentor or anything to do a injector cutout test is it safe just to unplug one at a time?

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
What is the oil level doing? It sounds a bit like a runaway engine. Not sure it it is an injector running too much fuel, or if it is ingesting engine oil somewhere. I thought there was a resistance test you could do on the injectors, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
71 Posts
To diagnose mine I had a local shop with a snap-on scanner do a cylinder kill test to isolate my bad injector.

·
GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,249 Posts
injector leaking would cause white smoke, rarely will it cause black smoke, sounds to me like the fca has bit the dust....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well, mine was blowing black. If I brought the idle over 2000 RPM with the truck in park it would stay up there. Also at this time it was blowing black smoke, running rough, and knocking. It sounded pretty sick. Was the #6 injector only.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i was looking on the classifieds and found a engine out of an 05 with 160000kms that threw a rod. The injectors, pump, head, and turbo are all still good. Picked it up for 600 bucks. So im just going to swap out all the injectors for the newer ones and hopefullt that fixes it. If not ill check the fca. If the tip blows off an injector the fuel wont atomize and burns black what ive found on CAT stuff anyways. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A bad injector could cause white or black smoke... I would check the ICP on the CP3 or also like someone else was saying put a scan tool on it and do a cylinder drop test. It could also be taking in engine oil like someone else was saying but that would be all the time not intermittent. Seems there would be a check engine light but that isnt the case all the time. When the scan tool is hooked up you can check rail pressure and ICP pressure the rail pressure should be somewhere in the mid 20,000 psi range. Other then that change the fuel to # 2 diesel and add additive to help clear some of the garbage out that might be in the fuel system.. Best of Luck!

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
I agree if the fuel is not being atomized due to a tip being blown off it would be blowing white smoke. :confused013:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I totally agree that it is normally white smoke just saying it shouldnt totally rule out an injector. He brought it back over to day and i unplugged the fca started it and it ran even worse rattled banged and when I blip the throttle it will rev to about 2500 rpm and stay there till u shut it off. Unplugged the rail pressure sensor and the truck wouldnt start. Both sensors when unplugged throw codes. Does this sound like what should happen?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just wondering if there is any way to get the connector tubes out with out getting the puller or should i just go pick one up?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Injection line threads onto one end, tube goes throught head and into injector. Tool is pn:9015 It looks kinda usless it just threads onto the tube so u can pry it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am not trying to jack this thread, but my truck just started doing the same thing. A really bad knock, while blowing out black smoke. I thought the motor was done, so this morning I dumped the oil to check for metal, and nothing was found. The truck starts easily and runs, but knocks. It also has very good oil pressure, so I am hoping the motor is not cooked.

How would I go about checking the injectors to see if they are the cause? I am not to familiar with the abbreviations for various parts on these trucks, so any clarity would be greatly appreciated. The truck in an '03 2500. I just d

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the injectors tested 3 and 6 were totally fried wouldnt even hold 2000 psi, Swapped them out and it runs like a top now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts