Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my father bought a new truck in the fall and his wheels that came with it KMC XD series badlands are rusting and the chrome is coming right off them.

Anyone else have similar problems?

My father babys vehicles if you seen his 04 superduty (I have pics on facebook) there was no rust on that and it was his daily driver. but I mean the chrome is falling right off the center caps, the wheels are pitting. truck is less than a year old and all the trim looks like (wonder why I hate chrome and like black on white)

Word of advice never by a vehicle from Team Ford.

·
Banned
307 Posts
Well my father bought a new truck in the fall and his wheels that came with it KMC XD series badlands are rusting and the chrome is coming right off them.

Anyone else have similar problems?

My father babys vehicles if you seen his 04 superduty (I have pics on facebook) there was no rust on that and it was his daily driver. but I mean the chrome is falling right off the center caps, the wheels are pitting. truck is less than a year old and all the trim looks like (wonder why I hate chrome and like black on white)

Word of advice never by a vehicle from Team Ford.

Brother has the same wheels....samething happened to them....chrome rims don't do well in our good old Alberta winters no matter how well you look after them........

·
Banned
1,334 Posts
chrome just aint the way it used to be, like d said the chemicals they use on the road destroy the beauty

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
chrome just aint the way it used to be, like d said the chemicals they use on the road destroy the beauty
i hear ya my mickey thompsons are starting to get pretty bad,,thinkin either givem a good scrubb or puting my gregg welds on there 20's ,,was kinda waiting to take the truck outta service first though..

·
Registered
332 Posts
That's why I will never sell any items that have chrome on metal. Cant handle the climate. Chromed plastic is fine though....thought I would clarify.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I've had good luck with Chrome wheels, ran them for winters with 2 different sets and both look perfect after. Chrome will last fine, the problem is if it gets chipped it's done, until that happens they should shine up brand new after a winter.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
I've had good luck with Chrome wheels, ran them for winters with 2 different sets and both look perfect after. Chrome will last fine, the problem is if it gets chipped it's done, until that happens they should shine up brand new after a winter.
well when i get my other truck for work and take this one out of service and use it for personal..then i'll throw my 20's on,,and then throw these on the new truck ,,why not..

·
Registered
341 Posts
In Alberta always by BLACK rims the weather is too hard on chrome ones that sucks man.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In Alberta always by BLACK rims the weather is too hard on chrome ones that sucks man.
I told my father I wanted American racing mojave teflon coated.

He said why? I said there simple look good plus teflon is a non stick surface.

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
I had American Racing rims on my Jeep TJ. Stay away. I they were polished Aluminum and didn't make it one season before they looked like garbage. Really really bad. I bought Dick Cepek rims for my F150. They are chrome and fairly high quality and look great, but I do not run them in the winter. I would tell your dad to stay away from the AR rims. They look nice new but don't last. I think the polished aluminum is porous or something because they pitted and turned a really dull grey. I tried to clean them, polish them. It didn't matter I could not get them to look like they did when I bought them. From what I have seen of the chrome rims you actually have to damage the crome to cause it to rust or flake. If done right I think that is the way to go. JMHO

1 - 12 of 12 Posts