Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my key isnt starting my truck but cant get my truck to start with a hot wire to my starter. I was told that the starter switch might be out and its located on the inside center of the driver side fender wall. theres nothing like what i recieved at the auto store. any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,386 Posts
Also did you check your clutch safety switch?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Check the clutch switch, The relay and if its not one of them the starter switch is easy to get to. Remove the cover around the column then you can get to the ignition switch can be tested and or replaced.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I had the same problem with my 91.5.... There is a two prong plug that goes to the hot side of the battery. Unplug it and stick a pair of thin needle nose pliers into the connection to jumper the connector. Mine started immediately so make sure it's in neutral. To fix it I replaced the starter relay which has been mentioned already. It's bolted to the driver inner fender or like in my case was just hanging there.... After I replaced it I never had any issues

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a similar problem but have not investigated yet. In the middle of a full restoration and got hosed by a body shop. Long story but have issues with is not starting, and now running with key removed. had to install an old style push button start switch to get started. Wonder if he fried some sensor or what not and or cut wires i cannot see. Its a nightmare.

·
Premium Member
20,386 Posts
I have a similar problem but have not investigated yet. In the middle of a full restoration and got hosed by a body shop. Long story but have issues with is not starting, and now running with key removed. had to install an old style push button start switch to get started. Wonder if he fried some sensor or what not and or cut wires i cannot see. Its a nightmare.
Check your fusible links on top of the left fenderwell for the no start issue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for such a quick reply. Another thing I forgot to mention on this is, truck battery is also draining. Nothing i see is on, but after a few days, the fully charged, new battery us dead. Sometimes the truck will run with the key off, and when you the door it shuts off. Its really strange. I just hope the body shop guy didn't mess with something

·
Registered
783 Posts
Thanks for such a quick reply. Another thing I forgot to mention on this is, truck battery is also draining. Nothing i see is on, but after a few days, the fully charged, new battery us dead. Sometimes the truck will run with the key off, and when you the door it shuts off. Its really strange. I just hope the body shop guy didn't mess with something
Wire a 12 volt in line from pos battery post and the battery terminal and check to see how bright the light is. Start pulling fuses until the light goes out, will let you know were to look for the batter drain is.

·
Premium Member
20,386 Posts
Could be the FSS is hot all the time, that's why it won't shut off. When it's running unplug the FSS to see if it shuts down.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Mine had a slow battery drain and I would notice it if I didn't drive the truck for a few days. It turned out to be the light up ring around the key hole was staying on all the time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
913 Posts
I noticed driving mine home the other day (just got it) that after I shut the truck off, and pulled the key out, the buzzer stayed on, like the key was in the ignition or the lights were on. I jiggled the ignition switch and it stopped. If the buzzer hadn't still worked I wouldn't have caught it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
What else doesn't work? Could be the fusible link as stated earlier.

I think you can swap those relays around to verify before you buy a relay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts