Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be a dumb question but my search brought back no results. I just bought a used 06 mega cab. I only received one key/fob. Is it possible to get a key cut without a fob? Or do I have to give my vin to a dealer and have a key and fob ordered and programmed for my rig?

· Registered
59 Posts
Still gonna mean a trip to the dealer, but you can get a key without the fob. (It's still chipped & will require them to add it to the truck's computer).

Was in the same boat with mine, then a fobless key was around $70.

· Registered
6,673 Posts
I believe the unchiped key will unlock your door's but for a spare key to run truck it has to be chipped you can get a key from Ebay then have a lock smith cut it for you they should also beable to program it for you while you are there .

Reactions: TAPMAN

· Registered
311 Posts
key fob

:hijack:
how about just a fob without a key in it. like this

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/5480307/395300-main_Full.jpg
or something similar.
reason im asking is i have an 03 with the old key and key fob and like the seprate set up.
when i leave my dog in the truck durring the summer i like to keep the truck running. i have a little quick disconect and just leave the key in the ignition and take all my other keys and fob with me. i really like doing it this way and im planning on buy ing a newer (06-07) sometime before summer and was wondering my options.
thanks

· Premium Member
12,470 Posts
you can get the fob-less key and the programming done at the dealer for $50.00

· Registered
56 Posts
So its been 3 years but I am going to try bumping this up. My 2006 Mega Cab key remote entry has wigged out. Only the unlock button now works, and it only LOCKs the truck! Frustrating to say the least but it seems 06 was a bad year for remote keys. Anyway, I need a new FOB. A new transponder key and separate FOB run $30 less than the all in one key like I have currently. I had a locksmith tell me that the separate setup will work but was wondering if anyone had actually done this to be sure. On the website the key and FOB are listed as 2005 so I am a little worried it might not work.

· Registered
17 Posts
Will you be able to program the new FOB on your own like you could with the all in one key/FOB? I would think that would cost as much or more than the $30 difference. Cheapest I could find to program around here was $55.

· Registered
56 Posts
Dealer will charge $50 for the reprogram. I bought the truck used so only one key, gotta have 2 keys to reprogram the transponder chip. Got to have one working FOB to program new FOBs. So I'm screwed all around there. Would like to save the $30 a set on the separate key and FOB and buy 2 sets. But want to be sure the FOB will work, I know the new key will. Anybody do this?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
349 Posts
I bought two chipped keys off ebay for about $12, took em to lowes to have em cut, then got gouged by a dealer to get one programmed. I now have a all in one I never use, and a more normal size key. One of these days Ill get around to programming the other key, as supposedly now that I have two I can do it.
Never got the whole keyless entry lies... Here You have keyless entry ! now carry this brick around in your pocket to work it.. Um no thanks, Id rather have a key.

· Registered
316 Posts
You can get used FOBs off EBAY for next to nothing . I got 2 for $6 in like-new condition, plus they even came with new batteries. The sellers just gets them from junked trucks and sells them on ebay. There are application tables to match the correct FOB to your truck. I now have 3 complete sets of keys/fobs so I can reprogram a new set in case one gets lost/dies.

· Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the same boat, I was told by the dealer and FOB company that you can't use the 2005 and older, separate fob with the '06's, they said it's a different receiver? I don't really like the key /fob all in one and would like to use the older style has anyone actually tried it?

· Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, they get you with the needing two functioning keys thing. You'll have to follow up with if the separate FOB and key works, I'm not a fan of the all in one I'm stuck with.

· Registered
316 Posts
What do you search under on ebay? Anything I am finding is 35$+

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the separate fob/key setup. Separate fobs are cheap. I must have gotten lucky on mine but here is a used one for $10, you might want to try it anyway for a gamble. Dealers have been wrong about stuff way more than once. The Part# (back of fob- VERY small font!) 04686481ac for my 2005 and many other years and models...vans, durangos...etc.

04686481 AC Factory Key Fob Keyless Entry Remote Alarm Clicker Replacement | eBay

Here is a pair of fobs for $11 for both w/shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-2003-Dodg...Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c6416241&vxp=mtr

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.