Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying a 2008 (brand new left over stock)
and I don't really want to fiddle with it or get fines.
I am in Alberta Canada so I am not sure if there are fines.
I would like to keep it stock. What are the problems I am going to encounter leaving it this way?
I see a lot of people deleting this and that and was looking for input from 6.7 owners who had problems with leaving the truck stock.
Also, I will mostly be driving the truck around town, not a lot of hwy driving and only pulling a few times a year.

·
Registered
236 Posts
fuel milage is number 1 and number 2 you will have turbo cloging problems mabe and especialy how you are going to drive it so. also i dont think there is any fine in canada from what i here on this forum so if i was you if you want to leave it alone try it if it starts giving you problems then do the deletes

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've had my '08 a year now, completely stock except for aftermarket air filter and the only problem i had is the exhaust pressure sensor threw a code once because it got dirty. I now have around 16,500 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I have never had any problems with my stock truck. Just deleted the dpf today at 58000 kms.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I would like to keep it stock. What are the problems I am going to encounter leaving it this way?
I see a lot of people deleting this and that and was looking for input from 6.7 owners who had problems with leaving the truck stock.
Also, I will mostly be driving the truck around town, not a lot of hwy driving and only pulling a few times a year.
The biggest issue you will have is the turbo and/or DPF clogging up. these trucks are not made to be around town drivers (and it looks like thats what you will be doing mostly), they need to be worked. If you can throw is some highway miles every week, u could be ok!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
My truck has 15000+ miles on it in stock form
most of it's miles are from short trips in stop and go traffic in the Washington DC area
i had a 2262 code flashed once after a long hwy trip from MA to MD thats caused by soot in the turbo actuator. I am a firm beilever that short trips are the best thing for these trucks and there is a reason for this
the actuator on the turbo cylces after about 2 minutes of driving which helps to clear it out that was back around 3,000 miles when I had that code and it has not been back since the summer of 2007 I have never had any other codes or DPF issues

·
Registered
124 Posts
I guess the best advice for a stock truck is to hit the E-brake everytime u hop in it.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I'm in fort mcmurray and I have 2 buddies that have complety stock truck and they love them... They both have had there trucks for about a year and they have not had any issues...As far as mileage goes one guy can leave mcmurray and get to Calgary on a tank and the other guy is getting around 18MPG...A stock truck should be fine but if you are one of the unlucky ones it is possible to have issues but the fixes are easy

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
I drove mine stock for 60,000 miles with just a few initial start up problems with the egr cooler other than that it ran great. It runs much better though with everything gone.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have a bone stock 6.7 that I bought in Oct 07. I've had mine in for unscheduled service visits many times, mostly for the P2000 code caused by soot covering the O2 sensor. The turbo was replaced about a year ago. I drive the truck like a little old lady and never tow heavy loads, although I may have something to tow eventually.

Dodge has cleared up some of the problems but the jury is still out as to whether the various changes have completely cured the turbo actuactor getting jammed with soot. I'd say you have about a 50-50 chance of getting a trouble-free vehicle. The truck drives nice and the big motor is entertaining. Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Make sure it has the latest flash, if your going to mainly do city stop and go driving make sure you get out on the highway and put your foot down to help clear some of the crud out and use your EB often. We have 2 of these trucks both stock and zero problems thus far but they both get driven, maybe not with a load all the time but they do get a foot through the floor.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Stock

I love my stock truck and don't want to void my warranty. I would love to add a programmer, but all of them are traceable.

Schmidty

·
Registered
107 Posts
I guess the best advice for a stock truck is to hit the E-brake everytime u hop in it.

Exhaust brake, just adding clarification for the new fella. and get on it every now and then. My 1st towing session cleared my check engine light.

·
Registered
13 Posts
19000 km with 0 issues, bone stock. My driving style is the same as yours. averaging 15.5 mpg on overhead with 200 km out of 800 per tank on highway every weekend.

No regrets, will never have a gasser again.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Stock 6.7

My truck was purchased on 7/30/2007 and I now have 19575 miles on it. I Drive it 9 miles each way to work, and I have had 1 check engine light, which was taken care of with the G30 recall. Being a DRW 4 wheel drive, I have consistently gotten about 15.5 to 16 MPG the way that I drive to and from work! I pulled a 12000 lb Tag-A-Long camper to the beach last weekend, and I still got 10.5 MPG at a combined weight of about 20000 lbs. I will never go back to the 5 MPG with the GASSER that I had! My best recommendation is to run a high quality motor oil, (Beware the old CI4 Standard) and watch the quality of the fuel that you purchase for the truck! These seem to be the two things that start most of the problems with the DPF that I have Personally talked to the owners of problem trucks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
6.7 Stock (No Deletes)

I've had my truck since Sept. 2008. It was an early built truck (July 2007) and sat on the dealers lot for over a year. The latest flash sticker says AQ. I have 8000 miles on it and it runs great.

My only problem is coolant loss. They have replaced the water pump, then the following month the lower radiator hose and clamp. I still have to add a quart of water every 2000 miles or so. But, I've never had a code or CEL come on.

I drive my truck 90% highway at 60 mph (I accelerate hard), 10% city in 4th gear (automatic) keeping at about 1500 rpm with the EB on almost 100% of the time. I have a fuel mileage record of every drop of fuel that I have used since I bought it. All of my mpg figures are hand calculated. During the winter I averaged 18 mpg, now with warmer weather I've been at about 19.2 mpg. My best so far has been 21.3 mpg on a trip, filling up before getting on the highway and immediately after exiting the highway.

My only complaint is the soot in the oil. I just haven't gotten up the nerve to put a plug in the EGR crossover tube, and unplug the connector. I guess I live by the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just over 10,000 miles and not so much as a fart out of the truck. 5 miles one way to work everyday. Run the EB all the time, and keep the rpms up as much as possible. Get 16.2 mpg at 80mph and 15.8 around town. I'm happy, and hope it stays that way!

Mav

·
Registered
89 Posts
The TS Performance MP-8 is not Tracable.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts