Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Keep my truck or sell it?

3007 Views 17 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Shainer
Hey guys, just wanting to know y'all's opinion on whether I should keep adding on to my truck or sell it and find a newer project. My truck has 186,300 miles on it, it hard starts, There are a lot of scratches along the body, and all the U-Joints are done for. These things are mainly holding me back from adding more on to it, and have made me think seriously about selling it. Should I just fix it up and keep adding on?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
with all the god awful crap thats attached to the newer ones, I'd keep what you got, even an engine rebuild wouldnt set you back much compared to what a couple months of payments on a new one will be. And U joints can be done in a day.
Scratches ? its a TRUCK, not a show pony.
If your considering selling it I would. Whatever the reason you don't like it.

Your trans should last a while being re-built if they did a decent job. Your injectors sound like maybe they were low quality re-mans hence the hard start if not a battery issue.
I can't believe U-joints make a list of why to sell a vehicle.

If the body bothers you that might be a kicker.

You can't ever plan getting money out of modifications. Unless you swap them to the new truck but I wouldn't do that myself.
with all the god awful crap thats attached to the newer ones, I'd keep what you got, even an engine rebuild wouldnt set you back much compared to what a couple months of payments on a new one will be. And U joints can be done in a day.
I was trying to keep mine looking good and the wife fixed that for me almost her exact comment ITS A TRUCK!
Not enough info to go off of.

What would your budget be for a new truck? What year range are you interested in?

Mine is an 06 but I am planning on keeping it for quite a while longer. I like the 2010-2012 trucks and could conceivably afford one in the next few years, however they have the DPF issues and get crappy mileage. I cruise the 2013 plus forum every now and then and I like some of the things I am reading in there. The new Aisin sounds real nice, the power numbers are great and the mpg has come back to a respectable number. After all I have read about the 2013-14's I am not really interested in the 10-12's anymore.

So that means I will keep my truck running until the 14-15's come onto the used market at decent prices. Means I will likely keep my truck till 2019-2020 if possible, then trade up.

So decide your budget, decide what truck you want, then see if they match up or if it would be better to keep your truck and wait till what you want comes down in price.

ETA: Forgot to add, in the mean time if I get bored I will go EFI live or something to make my current truck more fun. Also planning on putting 4th gen leather seats in to make it a bit nicer inside.
See less See more
u joints are easy... sounds like your looking for an excuse to sell it. if thats the case then sell it. keep in mind that the new owner isn't going to want to put u joints in it unless you give it away. Put in u-joints then sell it, you will get more for it.
when people comment on my scratches I always tell them, "please be careful, she's my show truck, it's just not show season." :hehe:
when people comment on my scratches I always tell them, "please be careful, she's my show truck, it's just not show season." :hehe:
I always say "I shouldn't have pissed the wife off"
I always say "I shouldn't have pissed the wife off"
She got mad at me yesterday cause my buddy asked if he could borrow it, and I said yes, but I won't let her drive it..... :confused013::stirpot::rof
Its really about what you want. Its your money and your ride. There is alot of b.s. on the newer ones though
Wow I was too in the same boat that you were , Same miles same issues.
Needless to say after the sticker shock i got at the dealer I plan on keeping old faithful and paying her off. She's got 225K miles now and going strong. Although now im worried about the hard shifts im getting and slight vibrations from the front end but 225K miles and all stock i cant complain too much. YUP stock ball joints at 225K miles:party018:
Over the past 20 years of business ownership about 15 Ford's & Dodge's have passed through my hands... all of the were sold at 400K miles plus.. and each was run close to maximum weight.... we towed with them...

I sold the 08 5500, my last new truck with 130K miles when I retired and kept an 05 dually... even though this truck has had more repairs than the previous trucks.. its still more cost effective than the cost of new one... I now tow a 15K lb 5er... I was looking through my costs on the 05 and to date my costs for repairs including tires have been less than $1100 per year.. I can't see where I'd gain a lot on the purchase of a new truck other than it would be while before I had to wash and vacuum it out...

But than... its just a truck...
Yep sell it. Definitely.
I would tend to say if your truck is paid off and you can afford a payment for an entire truck then go for it. maybe not a 2013 but maybe just a low mile same gen as you have.

or keep your truck and save your money. all of those issues can be fixed decently cheap except for the body. but if you are TRUELY tired of your truck. sell it and move on. maybe not 2013 style but just a new to you truck
Keep it and build it up!! :thumbsup:
Sell it...
Sell it .
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.