Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the forum, thought I’d try this in the 4th gen section since that’s the gen i like most. Sorry for the novel you’re about to read, but here’s my question.

As of right now, I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab with the 6’4 bed on 33’s with 20x10 Fuel Maverick wheels on a 2” level. In terms of mileage, I see about 18mpg on the highway, and in the city I get 11.5ish. Pretty poor if you ask me.

Now, I live in southern Canada, specifically Manitoba. Soon I’ll be moving outside the city, into a small town. My commute will be about 40 or so minutes into the city.
I have heard these diesels get awesome mileage, especially on the highway.
I really want to go the Cummins route on my next truck, and the plan is to delete the emissions crap, and do a 5” Flopro turbo back exhaust and tune it (just run a Tow/Haul tune, not after the coal-rolling AT ALL). I’ve looked into getting the full job done at some local shops and I’ve been quoted in the $2-3k area. I’m ready to do all the fluid and filter changes myself.

Here’s the kicker: in about 2 years when I get my full certification in my trade, I’ll be getting a $500 a month credit from my work for using my truck to pick up pipe, fittings, etc and a gas card to use during the work week (I’m a commercial plumber).

Having said all this and giving you some background info, my question is this:

Once I make the move out of town, is it worth trading in/selling the half-ton and switching to the diesel?

I have been wanting one for years, and it seems like it could do me well once the move happens and especially once I receive the added benefits from work. I don’t tow anything as of right now

Sorry for the novel guys lol. Please let me know your thoughts!

·
Registered
14,203 Posts
If you do similar tire/wheel change to the HD Cummins truck, your mileage will be about the same or less. If you keep it all stock, and don't drive it too hard or fast, you could pick up a little better fuel economy, but it won't be a huge difference, you'll certainly never make up the difference in the cost of the truck. Plus, the diesel requires quite a bit more costly maintenance than the gas engine truck.

The real reason to get a HD Cummins truck is if you actually need its greater abilities, ie; greater towing/hauling.

Now, if you want it just because you want it, then that's a different story, just be aware of the cost differences.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Honestly, dont bother trading. Keep the gasser unless you need the payload or extra towing capacity.

My personal opinion is to ditch the level, wheels and go back to stock. If you need some tow capacity, run timbres or air bags and E rated tires.

The 1500 chassis is actually pretty stout and you can get some great miles out of it. It's cheap to maintain compared to a diesel. You need to haul some heavy crap to make that diesel cost worth it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I’m on my third Ram 3500 Cummins because I tow a travel trailer interstate (when on vacation). If I didn’t tow, I’d be driving a Power Wagon 6.4L gas.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I personally doubt your going to see any real better MPG"S on the hi ways but will get some better in city, but that seems to be a small amount of things once you move?

IMO< I wouldn;t buy anything till your getting PAID to upgrade, till then, stick with what you got then 2 yrs down the road, this truck might be paid of already and you can Upgrade from there off a clean late

if you want better city MPG"s on your current truck, re gear for the taller tires!, as odds are you have some HIGH gearing to get the HI way MPG's your getting
you will loose some MPG"s on the HI but make up some in city!, double edged sword of sorts!

and I would;n;t be so fast to delete a NEW truck either, throwing out a warranty, isn't always the best idea when there are SO many expensive parts on these trucks that can go wrong ! all the more so as more and more electrical gadgets are added!
deleting doesn;t gain you THAT much more power(and if it does you then find the next weakest link) or MPG's to off set the costs
unless you like to tinker and feel a need to do so, IMO< its NOT deeded for 99% of truck owners! and not to mention, illegal in most places and makes getting work done at dealers or re sales harder!
call this food or thought NO bash on those that delete!

Reactions: ramguy98

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just traded my 19 1500 in for a 20 2500. Absolutely no increase in fuel mileage. The 1500 rides better, cost less in maintaining and can haul a fair amount of weight. Mine was rated at 11,300 per my options. I needed more payload and tow capacity for my toy hauler. If you dont need now or see yourself actually using the truck for its extra abilities in towing or payload stick with the gasser.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
I say keep your current truck as fuel mileage you won't see much diff. I am currently avg on hwy 19-20 and roughly 15 in city. For maintenance I have no idea what gas maintenance is as I never owned a gas truck. I roughly pay about 85 for amsoil and that usually lasts me a year for oil change. Then another 80-109 for fuel filters and then air filter. Mostly my maintenance is once a year as I drive roughly 15k a year. So far this year have not gone anywhere but my reason for the diesel is the longetivvity of the engine, and I need the payload as I have toys that are heavy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 2017 2500 Cummins Mega with 35 x 12.5 x 20 I get 16-17 miles per gallon on daily drive which is 20 miles one way in town

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I just traded my 19 1500 in for a 20 2500. Absolutely no increase in fuel mileage. The 1500 rides better, cost less in maintaining and can haul a fair amount of weight. Mine was rated at 11,300 per my options. I needed more payload and tow capacity for my toy hauler. If you dont need now or see yourself actually using the truck for its extra abilities in towing or payload stick with the gasser.
I went from a diesel to a gas mainly due to initial cost, maintenance cost and the fact that I don't tow heavy all that often any more. Couldn't justify the diesel. In the winter I get full heat about a mile from the house with the gas truck and it took almost 10 miles in the diesel to be cranking out full heat. Living up North you would probably let it sit and run quite a while before taking off in the winter so your fuel mileage would decrease. I miss the diesel but I sure like the low maintenance, OK fuel mileage and quiet truck I'm driving now.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I went from a diesel to a gas mainly due to initial cost, maintenance cost and the fact that I don't tow heavy all that often any more. Couldn't justify the diesel. In the winter I get full heat about a mile from the house with the gas truck and it took almost 10 miles in the diesel to be cranking out full heat. Living up North you would probably let it sit and run quite a while before taking off in the winter so your fuel mileage would decrease. I miss the diesel but I sure like the low maintenance, OK fuel mileage and quiet truck I'm driving now.
Excellent point about cold weather diesel drawbacks. Not only in getting the engine up to temp for heating the cab but also no engine plug in required and no anti-gel in the fuel tank.

@OP you make no mention of towing on your post so add me to the 100% consensus that a diesel makes almost no sense for your situation. Even if you achieved crazy fuel mileage increases of like 15% I doubt you would save more than a few hundred bucks a year on fuel versus the cost increase to acquire a diesel over a gasser plus the increase in maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
351 Posts
Im on the keep the gasser side. I bought mine before I was retired, and was making great money. I don't need a 2500 diesel. BUT, just had to have one. 98% of the time, its a car. 18 for that set up is great. The farther north one is, the colder it is in the winter time. SO, with winter fuel and aditives, it wont be cheep.
Do a little research and maybe chip the gasser and get more mpg's out of it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I did the same thing went from a 06 Cummins to my 19 1500 and now I back in a diesel truck but only due to needing it.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
In Manitoba here and I went from a 2010 1500 with a level and 34.5” tires. I honesty think 18mpg hwy is low unless your using their gallons. Mine would get right around 20 on the hwy sometimes 21. Do you have wide rubber? I stick with 275 wide.

My cummins does much better around town surprisingly and on the hwy I get 21-22 cruising empty. Haven’t done any real long trips with the 2500 though. All factory tires and height.

If you have no other reason to get the cummins other than you think it’s cheaper. Keep the gasser. I don’t tow a pile with mine but I just live having a diesel and love being able to hook up to my car hauler or gooseneck and pull the trailer effortlessly. I’ve towed 12k behind my 1500 lol dicey but I did it. Even pulling 8-10k behind it was annoying. Not with my 2500. Love it. My delete is waiting for me to get home.

The 2500 won’t save you money. But mine is good on fuel. Most people asking this questikn already want the 2500. Just looking for someone to give them a push lol good luck. And my 2500 rides pretty decent.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
@Ltngdrvr pretty much nailed it in the first response. I purchased a diesel because I wanted one, but I do tow occasionally. And when I do I'm glad I have it. I live farther North than the OP and don't regret it for winter. With the auto high idle and winter front, heated seats AND steering wheel, it does fine. If the OP deletes it will take noticeably longer to warm up. At -40 it doesn't matter if I take the truck or our VW (gas), they both take forever to warm up. Our fuel is almost always treated, not sure about the OP's, so no additives needed for me although I sometimes do it when temps get close to -40 for piece of mind. I do my own maintenance which saves a ton of money. I idle A LOT in winter with no issues.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
@Ltngdrvr pretty much nailed it in the first response. I purchased a diesel because I wanted one, but I do tow occasionally. And when I do I'm glad I have it. I live farther North than the OP and don't regret it for winter. With the auto high idle and winter front, heated seats AND steering wheel, it does fine. If the OP deletes it will take noticeably longer to warm up. At -40 it doesn't matter if I take the truck or our VW (gas), they both take forever to warm up. Our fuel is almost always treated, not sure about the OP's, so no additives needed for me although I sometimes do it when temps get close to -40 for piece of mind. I do my own maintenance which saves a ton of money. I idle A LOT in winter with no issues.
Ya his fuel will be treated. Wherever he is in Manitoba.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Hi all, new to the forum, thought I’d try this in the 4th gen section since that’s the gen i like most. Sorry for the novel you’re about to read, but here’s my question.

As of right now, I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab with the 6’4 bed on 33’s with 20x10 Fuel Maverick wheels on a 2” level. In terms of mileage, I see about 18mpg on the highway, and in the city I get 11.5ish. Pretty poor if you ask me.

Now, I live in southern Canada, specifically Manitoba. Soon I’ll be moving outside the city, into a small town. My commute will be about 40 or so minutes into the city.
I have heard these diesels get awesome mileage, especially on the highway.
I really want to go the Cummins route on my next truck, and the plan is to delete the emissions crap, and do a 5” Flopro turbo back exhaust and tune it (just run a Tow/Haul tune, not after the coal-rolling AT ALL). I’ve looked into getting the full job done at some local shops and I’ve been quoted in the $2-3k area. I’m ready to do all the fluid and filter changes myself.

Here’s the kicker: in about 2 years when I get my full certification in my trade, I’ll be getting a $500 a month credit from my work for using my truck to pick up pipe, fittings, etc and a gas card to use during the work week (I’m a commercial plumber).

Having said all this and giving you some background info, my question is this:

Once I make the move out of town, is it worth trading in/selling the half-ton and switching to the diesel?

I have been wanting one for years, and it seems like it could do me well once the move happens and especially once I receive the added benefits from work. I don’t tow anything as of right now

Sorry for the novel guys lol. Please let me know your thoughts!
Sounds to me like you want a diesel more than anyting else. If so, do it and don't look back.

But if you're being totally pragmatic and want to put a pencil to it, wants and desires notwithstanding, then it doesn't make sense, dollar-wise.

The Hemi is a good engine -- For the 1950's (when it was invented). It's solid, old tech that's a bit more modern than a spinning wheel. But that's part of the appeal. To some.

They don't get good fuel economy because they're pushrod engines (that went out with the biplane) and they're naturally aspirated (right there with the leisure suit). But, so what?

It does the job. Fuel is relatively cheap, repairs don't pop up every other week that keep you home or borrowing the War Department's Car or worse yet, having her drive you to work. A lot of divorces have happened that way.

You could go out and buy a more modern F-150 EcoBeast but they're not cheap. At all. If the aluminum body makes it worth it to you, there's an offset there. I'm 2,000 miles South of you where there's never been a snowflake. Meteorological, that is. So it's not a concern for me.

You can almost buy a Ram with a Cummins in it for the same money. So, IMHO, they're not worth it down here.

Up there? That's your call.

If it were me, I'd drive that Ram 1500 until the wheels fell off. Sounds to me like it's gonna get beat up anyway so why go out and spend beacoup bucks on an upgrade only to have it get the crap beat out of it every other day.

And, oh yeah, they'll have you hauling things you really don't wanna haul. Believe it.

Drive it.

Then, once it's completely paid for and the fenders are flapping in the breeze while you're hauling pipe that's beating the daylights out of it and your buddies are spilling coffee in it every morning, buy a daily driver for yourself.

I know what plumbers make and -- You'll be able to afford it. With ease.

But if you want a diesel..... YMMV

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Then, once it's completely paid for and the fenders are flapping in the breeze while you're hauling pipe
I have literally seen farm trucks doing that hauling hay in Alberta.

Reactions: BrianF

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds to me like you want a diesel more than anyting else. If so, do it and don't look back.

But if you're being totally pragmatic and want to put a pencil to it, wants and desires notwithstanding, then it doesn't make sense, dollar-wise.

The Hemi is a good engine -- For the 1950's (when it was invented). It's solid, old tech that's a bit more modern than a spinning wheel. But that's part of the appeal. To some.

They don't get good fuel economy because they're pushrod engines (that went out with the biplane) and they're naturally aspirated (right there with the leisure suit). But, so what?

It does the job. Fuel is relatively cheap, repairs don't pop up every other week that keep you home or borrowing the War Department's Car or worse yet, having her drive you to work. A lot of divorces have happened that way.

You could go out and buy a more modern F-150 EcoBeast but they're not cheap. At all. If the aluminum body makes it worth it to you, there's an offset there. I'm 2,000 miles South of you where there's never been a snowflake. Meteorological, that is. So it's not a concern for me.

You can almost buy a Ram with a Cummins in it for the same money. So, IMHO, they're not worth it down here.

Up there? That's your call.

If it were me, I'd drive that Ram 1500 until the wheels fell off. Sounds to me like it's gonna get beat up anyway so why go out and spend beacoup bucks on an upgrade only to have it get the crap beat out of it every other day.

And, oh yeah, they'll have you hauling things you really don't wanna haul. Believe it.

Drive it.

Then, once it's completely paid for and the fenders are flapping in the breeze while you're hauling pipe that's beating the daylights out of it and your buddies are spilling coffee in it every morning, buy a daily driver for yourself.

I know what plumbers make and -- You'll be able to afford it. With ease.

But if you want a diesel..... YMMV
I’m loving the feedback from everyone, this post might be my favorite LOL. Appreciate ya man

1 - 20 of 62 Posts