Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
couple questions, we just tore my buddy's truck apart and found that the gear case is cracked(KDP fell out) so i guess my first question is what does the pin actually do? And also i have been told that the cam has to come out to change the gear case, is this true? I found instructions on moparmans site that says otherwise. Finally has anyone had any luck with jb weld to fix the crack? thanks guys

· Registered
217 Posts
hey sure others will come in but i wouldn,t mess with jb weld just get another cover and fix it right and another thing the kdp to my knowlege is just used to line it up

· Registered
217 Posts
depending on how bad the carnage is you might get awy with jb weld and alot of rtv to seal near it was it still runnnin good and just leaking oil or what

· If you aint 1st..Ure LAST
2,276 Posts
to my knowledge you dont have to but i've never had to do 1. we fix em b4 they fall out. sorry to hear.

· Registered
47 Posts
Can't say if its right or wrong but, when my friends came out we pulled the cam to replace the cover.
The experience wasn't pleasant, so when I bought mind the first thing I did was fix the pin.(It was out about 1/8 inch)

· Registered
182 Posts
All the pin is supposed to do is locate the gear case, but I've read postings on here where guys mention that if you leave the pin out it puts added stress on the injection pump, which eventually leads to pump failure of some sort.

I cant confirm that from my own knowledge, but thats what I've read on this forum.

As for JB weld, same thing, some guys say fix it right the first time cause it didnt work for them, others say they've used it to fix the case and had no issues.

I guess it really just depends on your budget and if you really want to chance having to pull it apart again later on to replace something you could have done in the first place.

· Registered
33 Posts
I just finished replacing the housing without removing the cam shaft. The instructions that were suggested a few posts ago are great. I am having another problem with mone now.

Good Luck

· Premium Member
518 Posts
is there any way to tell if mines ever been fixed before or even if anyone has gotten in there before is there anything on the outside i can look for?

· Registered
32 Posts
I have the same question as hoytarchery7. My truck is almost up to 176 and the KDP is making me very nervous.

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
is there any way to tell if mines ever been fixed before or even if anyone has gotten in there before is there anything on the outside i can look for?
The only way to tell if the KDP has been dealt with is to remove the front cover.
Since you have to go that far may as well be prepared to tab it.
Personally I wouldn't even trust it if a seller told you it was tabbed unless you know them.
Many times sellers tell you things that they think you want to hear...

· Registered
280 Posts
when i bought my motor for my truck, it had a cracked case, probably from the kdp, but not saying for sure. what i wanna know is about how many miles does it usually take for the kdp to come out and what else gets damaged when it does come out

· Registered
884 Posts
Tabbed mine at 150,000 had not moved. Could happen at any milage. If it cokes out best scenario is. A craked case worst is. Pin goes between cam and crank gear busts cam gear. Valves stay open crankshaft spins a few for times. Smashed valves pushrods ect. If pin does come out always replace it. It takes most of. The shock from the p pump. If you do remove it instead of tabbing or dont replace it your dumb imo. The pump vibration will cause the case cover to walk on the engine causing oil leaks ect. more bad stuff. Just tab it and get it over with its 4hr job better than a new engine also imo

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
when i bought my motor for my truck, it had a cracked case, probably from the kdp, but not saying for sure. what i wanna know is about how many miles does it usually take for the kdp to come out and what else gets damaged when it does come out
I've heard of KDP damage from 47 - 370k miles.
In other words miles mean nothing.

When the dowel pin falls, it can drop right to the oil pan or land in the gear housing, causing no damage at all.

What most often happens is the pin is caught in the camshaft gear and forced into the aluminum gear housing cracking or breaking out a big chunk of the housing.

Worst-case failure is when the dowel pin goes between the cam and crank gears, or cam and injection pump gears, breaking the gear off the camshaft. The camshaft stops rotating instantly causing valves to stop operating, leaving some valves open and some closed. The crankshaft continues to rotate for a few seconds, slamming pistons into valves, and possibly ruining block, crank, rods, cylinder head, and valve train. Almost no reusable parts in this case, a complete engine swap could be required.

· Registered
280 Posts
alright, well hopefully when or if it did fall out on the last guy fixed it right, i ended up giving him my good timing case from my old motor to put in it to and i never actually pulled to cover off to look at any of the gears to see how they looked. but for spending $3000 on a stock motor i hope its right

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.