Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to tab mine yesterday and come to find out it had already struck the previous owner. Truck has 200K miles. You could see where the dowl pin came out and wedged againt the timing cover. Dowl pin was gone. Odd that there was no damage to the timing case or gears. On the cover where it wedged was down about where the fan pulley bracket bolts on.(right where they shoot threw the t case usually) No friction marks on the case either:confused013:
Maybe they had to change the case but it had the correct engine id tag and it was riveted on still.

Things I noticed

the bolt beside where the dowl pin was and the 2 bolts behind the cam gear were all just finger tight :shock:

Cleaned them up and added red loctite. Just when I thought what a waste of time i found the loose t case bolts. I imagine they would take alot more time to work out that a dowl pin as they are threaded, but I'm sure that the ones behind the cam gear could work out enough to catch the head of the bolt on the gear and cause a big mess.

Word to the wise on removing the ******* fan bracket bolt that is behind the fan pulley. Get a 6 point 10mm wrench and grind it down to fit past the fan pulley. I ground down a reg box end wrench and all it did was round the head of the bolt.:doh:

Ended up having to use a zip gun with a chisel end on the big fan nut to disassemble the fan/pulley while on the truck with the shroud in place.

Edit: If anyone needs the dowel pin tab I bought mine for $10 shipped and just bought a felpro gasket/seal kit from the parts store. I'd sell the tab for $5 plus postage which would entail just a stamp.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I was going to get a dowl pin, but as it was saturday the dealer was closed. I pondered it over and who knows how long it has been driven like this(no dowl pin).I figured i'd be better off without the pin compared the pin hanging there and not tabbed like most unsuspecting owners.

I was just happy to see the timing case not all busted up and the gears broke.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts