Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am well aware of the KDP, and the need to have it replaced. My problem is I just bought this truck, and the guy seemed to take good care of it, and made some decent upgrades to it. I don't know if the KDP was fixed or not, and was wondering if there was a way to tell with out tearing into it. I can't ask the previous owner since he passed away and I bought the truck from his mother who knows nothing about the truck at all. Any ideas??

·
MOOB ADMIRER!
2,443 Posts
There's no way to tell other than taking the front cover off.

Or waiting to see if it kills your timing case :S:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'd want to know for sure and it's only a couple of hours of wrenching.

If you are planning on doing anything with the timing, this would be a good time for that as well.

·
Registered
18,950 Posts
I am well aware of the KDP, and the need to have it replaced.
It doesn't need to be replaced unless it has fallen out. It needs to be tabbed to keep it in place. While you are in there remove the bolts one at a time that hold the gear case to the block, clean the threads and holes with brake cleaner and loctite them back in. Tq is 18 ft/lbs. There are five, a coupleof which can not be totally removed because of the cam gear.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Replace the front crank seal while your at it. While you have the serpentine belt off is a good time to feel of/listen to the bearings on the things it turns. They will probably all be fine, but while you are there...

·
Registered
49 Posts
RTV on the front cover is an indication that it has been opened up and probably tabbed. Would I bet my engine on it, no. But if the original owner took good care of his stuff an was aware of the kdp, then he probably fixed it while the front cover was off.

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
RTV on the front cover is an indication that it has been opened up and probably tabbed. Would I bet my engine on it, no. But if the original owner took good care of his stuff an was aware of the kdp, then he probably fixed it while the front cover was off.
OR... The previous owner had a seal leak and changed the seal. They may not have known about the KDP and never knew it needed to be tabbed. Just RTV alone is not an indication the KDP was tabbed.

You may find a set screw in the case. Some people used a jig to drill a hole in the case and put a bolt in there to hold the tab in place.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I did the jig method, (which I actually like better than the tab), but the jig is now unavailable. The set screw is hard to see. Unless you have proof that its been done, assume that it hasn't, and that it will kill your engine, like tomorrow, if you don't.

I just sold my 95 2wd and had the paperwork from a good diesel shop in Castle Rock that it had been tabbed. $340!!!

Just do it yourself, and then its done.

·
Premium Member
5,321 Posts
Can you get in there with a stethoscope style camera and light

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I checked mine, at 400k (got the truck at 390k) looks like it has had a new
front housing installed. Must have been a victim of the KDP

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
OR... The previous owner had a seal leak and changed the seal. They may not have known about the KDP and never knew it needed to be tabbed. Just RTV alone is not an indication the KDP was tabbed.

You may find a set screw in the case. Some people used a jig to drill a hole in the case and put a bolt in there to hold the tab in place.
Yes, that was the case with my 96' that I tabbed at around 85k miles on it. It had a bead of grey RTV around the edge of the timing cover so I was betting that it was already tabbed previously but I wanted to get in there and re torque bolts as well. Sure enough, not tabbed and the dowel pin was already about 1/8 inch out of its hole, the case bolts were only at about half their 18 ft lb torque spec

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info. That's pretty much what I expected. It would be helpful if the companies who make the KDP kits would supply on of those metal stickers to put on the core support saying it was replaced at xxxxxx miles. Who knows maybe they do.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The PO removed the cover on my 98 and just replaced the vacuum pump. I was all thrilled when I saw the RTV and almost left the KDP...glad I decided to pull the cover and check.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.