Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Just ordered Goerend converter

2507 Views 33 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  ksseabrd
I just ordered my converter. Should be here Monday! I will have it in that night or Tuesday. I will have full report on every aspect of it not just I like it truck feels good. I got the twin disk they say it will hold way more power than the trans will ever hold. I only plan on adding pump and a CP3 and a fleece turbo. So I will never go over 600hp. They are working on clutches for 5th and 6th thats the weak point. I cant wait!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
637 Posts
I am looking forward to your feed back.
I am also considering upgrading the converter in the near future.
Thanks

· Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do they have other torque converters for our 68RFE other than the twin disk converter that you are getting?
They have a triple disk but I didnt get it.

· Unreconstructed
24,962 Posts
Do they have other torque converters for our 68RFE other than the twin disk converter that you are getting?
I think Goerend has a Triple-Disk converter, as well.

· Smells like Bananas
9,086 Posts
I have had the twin disc Goerend for a while now. Its been great no issues other then the tranny sucks. What is nice about the Goerend, if you buy the twin disc and decide later that you need the triple disc all you have to pay for is the difference of the two and shipping. Which comes out to around $540. When I pull the tranny to get rebuilt I will probably go back with the triple disc.

· Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got my Goerend converter yesterday! It look me 1.5hrs to install last night. First impressions love it. It feels like its actually putting power to the ground, feels just like a manual trans. It pulls so hard from a dead stop. I raced a Dmax last night he was running a PPE I waxed him. It was leaving a light I gave it alittle throttle to see it he was going to race and half way through the intersection he nailed and so did I and instead of just the converter just slipping and RPMing out she grabbed really hard and broke the tires loose at about 20mph. I had him by 3 trucks up to 80mph. You can actually watch the tach climb when you drive and see it drop just like a hand shaker! This is the best mod I've done so far! I love that I have solid pull in the first 4 gears now. I was always afraid to race in the lower gears because I would just walk right through the converter. Not any more!

· Unreconstructed
24,962 Posts
Which disk-count did you go with? Double or Triple?

I've been thinking about getting one, but afriad that if I stiffen-up the TC, then the rest of my tranny might take a crap b/c of the lack of slippage with all the power.

How does your's feel in 5th and 6th? Does your truck have more "jump" when in overdrive on the highway when you go to pass someone?

· Unreconstructed
24,962 Posts

· Registered
637 Posts
I got my Goerend converter yesterday! It look me 1.5hrs to install last night. First impressions love it. It feels like its actually putting power to the ground, feels just like a manual trans. It pulls so hard from a dead stop. I raced a Dmax last night he was running a PPE I waxed him. It was leaving a light I gave it alittle throttle to see it he was going to race and half way through the intersection he nailed and so did I and instead of just the converter just slipping and RPMing out she grabbed really hard and broke the tires loose at about 20mph. I had him by 3 trucks up to 80mph. You can actually watch the tach climb when you drive and see it drop just like a hand shaker! This is the best mod I've done so far! I love that I have solid pull in the first 4 gears now. I was always afraid to race in the lower gears because I would just walk right through the converter. Not any more!
Sounds good! This will be my next mod.

Let us know how she holds the tourque in the higher gears like putin it to in 5th or 6th.

Thats when these stock converters really hate it!:hehe:

· Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds good! This will be my next mod.

Let us know how she holds the tourque in the higher gears like putin it to in 5th or 6th.

Thats when these stock converters really hate it!:hehe:
She holds 5th and 6th great its the stock clutches that are weak after 530hp. Not enough surface area and they are to tight to add anymore. Suncoast is working on some new frictions and steel compounds to hold more power. Any time you have huge power the overdrive clutches take the abuse.

· Registered
1,816 Posts
You installed the TQ in 1.5 hrs? That requires the tranny to be removed, right? Fast work, I want you to come do mine. ;)

Any other tricks to the install?

· Unreconstructed
24,962 Posts
Seriously! If I didn't live so friggin' far away, I'd bring a case of beer and help you install mine when I get it.

He probably just disconnected the driveshafts and slid the tranny and T-case back.

· Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Seriously! If I didn't live so friggin' far away, I'd bring a case of beer and help you install mine when I get it.

He probably just disconnected the driveshafts and slid the tranny and T-case back.
I took it all the way out. It helps when you have a hoist and a trans jack.

· Registered
1,816 Posts
I don't know if there is a sticky about TC install, but I would like to here a brakedown of the install process.

It sounds easy, but I have never done one.

· Unreconstructed
24,962 Posts
I took it all the way out. It helps when you have a hoist and a trans jack.
I've got a rotarry lift and a high-lift 2-ton tranny jack but I don't do alot of tranny work on my stuff.

I'll do anything else, just never done much tranny work.

· Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't know if there is a sticky about TC install, but I would like to here a brakedown of the install process.

It sounds easy, but I have never done one.
Its not bad. First remove drive shafts. Then all the wires, shift linkage, and hoses. Then remove converter inspection cover(bottom of trans). Remove brackets on the sides and the top of the trans(trans to motor). Then remove the torque coverter access panel for the converter bolts right side of the trans(about three o'clock). Remove dipstick bolt that holds dip stick in trans. Then remove trans cross member. Place trans jack under pan and support trans. When you look in the converter inspection plate you will see a arrow behind the flex plate its about 7 o'clock that arrow needs to be lined up with the converter bolt. That way the bolt will be lined up with the hole in the access panel you removed earlyer( 3 o'clock on the trans.) Then remove converter bolts spinning the flex plate and lining each bolt up with the arrow one at a time. Once converter is unbolted remove the bolts holding the trans to the engine. Last pull trans back from the engine and lower and pull converter off(comes off easy) Then put about two quarts of +4 ATF in new converter and reinstall it in the trans. The repeat to reinstall on the truck. After its installed add trans fluid till full. Mine took a total of 7 quarts to be full when hot.

I hope that gives you a understanding on how it went.

· Registered
738 Posts
Did goerend give you any estimate on if this converter is really going to buy you any longevity? I have been thinking of getting one, just can't decide if its worth it without more clutches etc... Seems from reading all of these tranny threads it really isn't:confused013:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.