Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so here is the scoop I installed a tuff country 2 inch lift, it consist of coil spacers up front and add a leafs in back (also long travel shock on all four coners). Also added tuff country adjustable sway bar end links (old ones busted). I have had an issue with the trac bar staying tight, have torqued it to the stated spec of 150ft pounds. When driving the truck, it sound as if something keeps binding the popping free. Or knocking like something is loose. However I cant find anything loose. Also i am looking to replace the track bar with a longer one, but a local chassis shop here in town said they could make one. unless some one can beat the average 350 price ive seen

Questions:

How long and what diameter are the replacement adjutable trac bars for these trucks?

Does any one have pics of the sway bar position on a
factory or lifted truck when the suspension is loaded?
(mine currently looks off as it is at frame level or slightly above)

Any ideas what the knocking sound would be?

Thanks for all the help:yourock:

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Its Your T-bar, Have The Drop Bracket Welded, If No Bracket, Then The Bolt Is To Small. Get A Larger Bolt

·
2,248 Posts
Its probably the trac bar. The factory bushings are junk and the bushings start popping and flexing a lot with the added stress of larger tires and wheels. Even on a stock truck, the trac bars dont last long

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay well the local shop can build one for 150. any one have spects on diameter and length.

Thanks.

·
Registered
513 Posts
If the local shop needs you to provide the specs you don't want them building you a track bar. :doh:

·
Premium Member
6,752 Posts
Could be your lower shock bolts too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just gonna give him the specs as an aid in buiding the bar, he already told me he wouldn't build it out of anything less than 1.5 inch dia x .250 wall chromoly tube. This shop is very reputable, they usally build drag racing cars, full tube chassis stuff (they usally are not making stuff for trucks. So I figured any info I could give him would be helpfull, I trust them to do it right.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The fabricator is going to need more than specs. The bar needs to be bent to clear the pumpkin. He's going to need the truck there so he can put the bend in the right spot. I know the track bar looks simple make but it requires some knowledge of our suspension and some time with the truck to build. Build it wrong and parts start colliding.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yep he looked at the truck earlier, he needs me to bringit back for a day so he can build and install it

·
Registered
67 Posts
does it knock all the time or when turning or suspension flexing? just trying to narrow it down a little

·
Registered
228 Posts
pure performance makes one for big lifts and a shorter one for smaller lifts/leveling kits also. Just fyi incase you change your mind about getting one built.

·
Premium Member
6,752 Posts
pure performance makes one for big lifts and a shorter one for smaller lifts/leveling kits also. Just fyi incase you change your mind about getting one built.

Reasonably priced too, anyone running one of these?
Pure Performance, Inc.

Note it's solid like the stocker or Thuren's or any of the others, not made of tubing.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pure Performances is made of solid steel. However Thuren's, Kore's, Carli and many others are made of tubing. Whats so wrong with tube, if it's good enough to keep a axle in place on a 1000+hp drag car why not my truck.

I am curious if any one is running the Pure Perf bar. It is setup like the stock one bushings on both ends, where most aftermarket ones are a heim and a bushing.

Does any one have pics of the fcatory location of the sway bar?
Is anyone running dual heim adjustable end links?

·
Premium Member
6,752 Posts
Pure Performances is made of solid steel. However Thuren's, Kore's, Carli and many others are made of tubing.
Hmmph, you're right, I stad corrected.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Reasonably priced too, anyone running one of these?
Pure Performance, Inc.

Note it's solid like the stocker or Thuren's or any of the others, not made of tubing.

Mine just arrived on my doorstep last night. I didn't even open up the box because I will probably not have time to install it this weekend.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well my trac bar is still tight I think its in the sway bar and end links nothing feels lose while tugging on it under the truck. my new end links are tough country dual heim joint adjustables, they are all the way down and seem to have the sway bar at to mcuh of an angle. i have seen where some replacement end links have a heim on the axlw side but a stud and bushing on the sway bar side. any ideas would help.

Does any one have pics of the factory location of the sway bar?
Is anyone running dual heim adjustable end links?

Thanks

·
2,248 Posts
I can almost guarantee its the track bar. 150ft/lbs is not enough torque. Basically when you tighten it down to where it wont turn anymore, tighten it some more till you bust a gut muscle and then it might be tight enough. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,752 Posts
What's the word on KORE track bars?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok I took my truck down to my buddys shop last night. As I got there I was called back to work so I took his truck, he went through torqued and tighetened every part of the suspension front and rear and all noises gone, Finnaly peace and quiet (and Lifter tic but that good)

Thanks Guys

still waiting on trac bar

1 - 20 of 21 Posts