Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished test driving my truck with the PMT and i'm affraid my tranny maybe really weak. If i'm cruising at 55 and then throttle up some but not enough to downshift my shudders at will very easily in extreme mode is this normal for our trannies to do that that easily or is mine just extremely weak. what is my next step rebuild kit or mhp tcm tune. don't really have the money for a new tranny at the moment:broke: :banghead:

·
Premium Member
8,547 Posts
seems some trannies are holding up good and others are not take to much to slip them, they make a tranny pressure line booster for $50 and it stopped my tranny from slipping on shifts when I installed my xrt.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I put the PMT on my 08 and it shuttered really bad at 55. Then my ex. filter was not reginning correctly and my mass air flo sensor went out. I took my PMT off because of the " we wont warranty your truck if you put a programmer on it" attitude by my dodge dealer. I didnt see any improvement on fuel, actually got worse but I could definitely feel the power difference. Anybody else having problems with the bully dog???

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
seems some trannies are holding up good and others are not take to much to slip them, they make a tranny pressure line booster for $50 and it stopped my tranny from slipping on shifts when I installed my xrt.
Why did you sell your sonnax then i seen it in the classifieds awhile back? Also do you think it would help me as bad as my tranny is slipping or should i do the mhp tuning just don't know if i should do the rebuild before or after the tune, if it even matters.

·
Premium Member
8,547 Posts
Why did you sell your sonnax then i seen it in the classifieds awhile back? Also do you think it would help me as bad as my tranny is slipping or should i do the mhp tuning just don't know if i should do the rebuild before or after the tune, if it even matters.
its still on the truck, never had it in the classifieds, but my pmt was for sale in the classifieds. On my truck i get a real deep rumble that vibrates my exhaust at 1400 rpms in every gear. My 07.5 had the same thing but with stacks i didnt get the vibration just a way awsome sound, with the 5" tbe I get a bad vibration from the exhaust, some of you might be feeling this and think it is the torque convertor slipping which it is not.

·
Registered
279 Posts
my pmt does the same ting to my trans sometimes

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I felt that with my PMT only in xtreme and my black maxx a little too on HOT. i did think it was my TC, since its toast anyways

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah it does vibrate the truck at about 1400 rpms but if i just cruise through the gears and rpms it doesn't do it :confused013: or if i'm doing about 70 and push to the floor it just blows coal and goes without any vibration. i only could get it to do it by pushing it hard but not hard enough to down shift when at low rpms. i just hate to toast the tranny while work is slow but man i love the smoke

·
Registered
630 Posts
That's just the nature of the higher HP tunes. Sure you get smoke, but inevitably tranny slippage will go along with it. It all comes down to how much you want to invest in a tranny setup to go with the higher HP tunes if you want to run them consistently.

Although on the stock trans, some people have noticed slippage right away in higher tunes, while others romp on it constantly without issues. Overall it seems like a grab-bag

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah if work would pick back up i want to eventually make about 600 rwhp but i was just curious because i figured if i'm slipping that bad with 128 added hp then you guys with BM, XRT, and smarty must be killing you alls tranny. i would run the out of my truck when playing around which isn't often with my i had and not once did i feel anything strange like that. overall i have to say that i like my pmt though. anyone make a tranny with the billet shafts yet, if so may just have to get rid of a toy or two to get a solid tranny:drool2:

·
Premium Member
8,547 Posts
sounds just the same as mine, one reason I know this is not the torque convertor, is because even on a manual truck it will do the same thing at the same rpms, if you pin it it seems to not do it, but ease into, or 3/4 throttle it and it will do it. But it could possibly still be slipping acourse, so dont think your 100% safe, if you understand what I am saying.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks man, i understand fully. i'll just take it easy and until i can afford a new tranny or sell a bike or something and put the money into the truck. did you like your pmt? do you like your xrt alot better and y just curious? thanks for all the great info. cumminsforum is awesome

·
Premium Member
8,547 Posts
I liked the pmt, the bucking and surging was alittle annoying but I havent run any of there new updates the one i was running is like 9 months old, it had good power still, the high egts didnt really bother me much, the only reason I ordered the xrt was to sled pull with, which i ended up getting called into work so missed the pull, but i liked the xrt so I kept it and used the pmt as guages. I really like the H&S software which turns off the emmissions so no check engine light at all, so when the black maxx came out, i sold the pmt and xrt for just enough to pay for the black maxx, but the unit itself is awsome having the guages and all the options you have with it. The black maxx I like the best and I have ran.

pmt
power pup
hypertech
ts mp8
xrt
black maxx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts