Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got all the same parts that get my 2nd gen 22mpg, and my 06 still only gets about 14mpgs. Am i missing something?

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Your not missing much, it's 8000lbs and has the third injection event. Mileage is going to be down. Intake and exhaust are a waste in my opinion, a cam, re-gear, f-1 mileage injectors or a ton of added timing are all that may help, but at what cost?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking that the all that would have at least shot me to 18 mpg? But my economy hasn't budged. What about the third injection vent? I hear about it, but don't understand it. I was of the impression that the injectors hit three times per cycle?

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Without getting too technical cause I'm too dumb it is an emissions event not a power adding event, so in essence it is an emissions waste of fuel. EFI live is all that I have read that can beat it, but I am no expert and don't own EFI Live.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Oh and to make you feel better my mega slab gets 14-15 no matter how I drive. I just tell myself the hemi version of my truck gets 11.

Reactions: hogsndogs

·
Registered
120 Posts
I kept a fuel mileage log for 3 years. Hand calculated average for entire time was 16.3. If I turn the programer to extreme, set the cruise on 65, it will get 20 mpg on the interstate. City driving kills my avg.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did you have edge juice? did you turn the low boost response up to 5? i would love 20 on the highway.

·
Feelings NOT Included!
4,280 Posts
Your mods won't net you squat for mileage; especially not what you're expecting.

Most advertised mileage claims are HIGHLY over inflated and are COMPLETELY driver dependent.

There are 3 things that get decent mileage on a 3rd gen without getting technical.

1 - Good maintenance - no brainer there. Properly maintain the truck and take out all the unnecessary crap from the truck (i.e. that 400 lb tool box full of crap, the 600 lb bumper, the mud tires, etc - not that I know if you have those, just saying).

2 - Good air flow. The stock cam is pathetic. It's meant for emissions not economy. Also, intake and exhaust DO help with ecomony simply by reducing the engine pumping losses. Reduce pumping losses and increase the airflow and the engine is more effficient. If the engine doesn't have to "suck" the air as hard and the pistons don't have to "push" it out as hard (i.e. volumetric efficiency and drive pressure), it doesn't work as hard. Those pumping actions require fuel in the form of the other pistons have to do work to make it happen.

3 - Tuning. The stock tuning is garbage and an add-on module doesn't do much to help it. Do they help some? Yes. Much? Debatable. Want the most out of that '06?....EFILive! Period!

The truck in my signature, driven everyday, at over 800 hp, in mixed driving, hand calculated gets 19.2 mpg, the best average it got on a box tuner was 16.8 mpg. On the highway, depending on how fast I'm running and what kind of terrain it is, I get anywhere from 20.5 - 21.2.

Here's the bottom line....

No matter what you do, it takes X amount of hp to move X amount of weight with X amount of drag at a given speed. You either A - reduce the weight, B - reduce the drag, or C - make the powerplant more efficient at producing the power needed.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
your 06 can get 40% better mpg. your truck has in-cylinder egr you need to get rid of most of it to get it. it also lowers egt by 300* and keeps the oil cleaner. get rid of the edge and put the bhaf in the trash, go back stock with a psm kit and a 49947 air filter read the following.
Your truck uses in- cylinder egr for smog reduction. They also extend fueling duration and retard the timing to keep peak heat and pressure down. Since the third injection pulse is so late in the cycle the egt is very hot compared to a 03 but the peak temp where the no is formed is actually lower. i will try to keep it simple, the cam exhaust lobe is ground to leave burnt exhaust gas in for the next cycle. change the cam to a pdr or colt. the hamilton is ground more for kids who are after power, we just want low end torque and mpg. change or hone the nozzles to ddp 50 hp. get a smarty jr leave the torque and timing set on default and on economy or sw1 as it is called. get a fbd turbo back straight pipe kit 5". get a m090072 resonator and a m090535 muffler and 4 clamps from ryder truck parts. for the first one i did it took me 5 hours. after about the 10th one i can do it in about 3 hours. it takes longer to remove the old one than you think. i install them by my self and you do not need any special tools. i have my own shop and change the cams and nozzles here. you will probably have to pay labor. do the nozzle change at the same time as cam to save labor.. use the left over pipe to extend the exhaust out further to keep the fenders cleaner. from ah64id There is no external EGR on any 5.9. The 04.5-07 meet the 04 emissions by utilizing "in-cylinder" EGR. The 4 big ways this was done was cam, pistons, timing, and turbo.

The cam lobes are timed so that the intake is a longer duration, and the exhaust is very short (shorter than any other Cummins in a Dodge) and the exhaust closes sooner to keep more gasses in the cylinder, this decreases combustion temp.

The pistons are a non-reentrant design and don't promote as good of air movement and combustion, again reducing peak combustion temps (and makes the pistons really easy to melt)

The timing is retarded to again reduce peak cylinder pressure and combustion temps, and to raise the EGT's to help the Cat work.

The Turbo has a very inefficient tubrine wheel and small housing, this provides backpressure on the manifold to again reduce the exhast scavanging effect.

The 03-04 actually has the same cam, and the turbine is even smaller, but its the combo of the timing and the pistion in the 04.5-07's that completes the effect.

Personally I have changed my cam, use the Smarty Jr for timing, and will be swapping turbo's this spring.. should help clean up my oil, combustion, and power... thou it will increase the NOx effects.
flat lander it gets very confusing on the 04.5 up with the in-cylinder egr. they delayed timing, lengthend duration and added a very late 3rd pulse this was done to keep peak pressure and peak cylinder temp down but because the fuelling is so far away from tdc the egt's appear way hotter than previous models but in actuality it is lower than previous models on the pistons. for us that want better mpg we reverse engineer the process and as we do we see the egt drop knowing we are bringing piston temp up. with the smarty jr on default tow you will have both lower egt and piston temp than earlier models. you desparatly need to change your cam to a pdr or colt and get you some 50 hp nozzles from ddp. this will gain you 6 mpg and the lowest egt once the nozzles are on you need to go back to the economy setting. the 50 hp from the nozzles is kind of a unwanted byproduct of shortning the fuelling duration. with 40 hp from the jr and 50 from the nozzles it fits the air you have and is better than stock on the engine. some posting on here like to play and their requirements are different 150 hp nozzles drastically shortens duration to where the main or 2ond pulse injects the fuel just over tdc where the pressure is highest and the most

·
Registered
13,852 Posts
throw the Edge in the trash, get a Smarty. I picked up 2mpg highway adding the Smarty to a bone stock 06 Mega.

and I have to roll my eyes a little at suggesting a cam swap and nozzles for fuel mileage. Those things cost a lot of time and money that will take a LOT of miles to ever even break even on.

·
World Champs!!!
24,232 Posts
Smarty TNT/R-20mpg on the highway. I do have a cam also, but I got it for my future power mods, not for mileage. Keep in mind that 20 is IF I keep my foot out of it; get on it and pass someone quick, it's going to drop, quick.

I do agree that your best bet would be EFILive and ditching the third event. Either way (EFILive or Smarty) is a better option than what you have. Edge has never been known for mileage, or cool egt's, or lots of power. It's always been an opening to more power, but there are better options. In my opinion.

Would I recommend nozzles and a cam swap for mileage? Not a chance. Both are fairly expensive, and especially in the cam, fairly labor intensive. The bill you would pay a shop would buy a hell of a lot of fuel.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like the monitor that comes on the edge. What is the the opinion on smarty in conjunction with edge?

·
Registered
2006 2500 4x4, spinny wooshy thing, bigger sticks, toothpick trans, wallet weight reduction mod.
2,621 Posts
Get EFI LIVE and learn to tune. It's our best chance at good MPG. I'm working on some things with mine now, but my experience with diesel tuning is limited as is my available time. There are guys on here with a better jump on it than I have. They would surely be able to write you a tune incorporating all the efficiency improving THEORIES that we have.

Oh and keep stock tires and height, and drive like you have an egg under the skinny pedal and no brakes.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I kept a fuel mileage log for 3 years. Hand calculated average for entire time was 16.3. If I turn the programer to extreme, set the cruise on 65, it will get 20 mpg on the interstate. City driving kills my avg.
same with me, I have only been hand calculating for about 2 months now. I can tell you that my town driving average is around 12MPH and highway is 17 MPG.

this is also what the previous owner of my truck told me. he said that he runs the smarty on level 9 for better fuel economy... but it smokes too much for me. so I have it turned down to #7.

I average 17.5 MPG all highway doing about 65-68MPH at 1750 RPM. stock 3.73 gears, 38" tires. 10" lift. no extra weight. drive like a grandma. not too bad...

anyways, I was wondering.. if I put the smarty on #9 for my 600 mile highway trips would it get me better fuel economy than having it on #7?

#9 smokes more...thats unburnt fuel isnt it? unburnt may as well be called wasted fuel as far as im concerned, how does that get better mileage?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
FWIW. when I hand calculate 17MPG.. the overhead is saying 24MPG. LMAO.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
As you can see, some of it is expensive. But much is not. Average MPG is what counts, not highs or lows. Fuel economy improvments are not 1 or 2 or 3 mpg, but a percentage increase. If this is not understood then a man keeps spending money on fuel and gizmos.

Records: If you don't know where you are (every gallon recorded) you'll have no idea where you're going.

Overview

MPG

As you can see, my numbers are pretty good. I'd like to try a cam change, better exhaust manifold and some more timing. But it's expensive . . the average mpg change for me would probably be just 10%; maybe 2-mpg. Payoff is a long ways down the road.

The real savings are in learning how to drive. Nothing else comes close.

·
Registered
13,852 Posts
I diagree... my 06 got 14mpg driving back home right after I bought it... I averaged 80mph.

the next weekend, I drove north (uphill) to a job 12hrs away. the only difference was I loaded a Smarty on the truck. I picked up 2mpg driving exactly the same way.

driving style makes a big difference, but a good programmer will make a HUGE difference over the factory tune

·
Registered
389 Posts
a good programmer will make a HUGE difference over the factory tune
Good point. If my calculations are right there are 100 power strokes per second at 2000 RPM. Now if the timing is tweaked slightly it can make a big overall efficiency increase. I would never run stock timing ever, it's set up for emissions.....period. I hand calculate every tank and average between 21-23 mpg (US) with Bullydog 2.4ct on Crazy Larry....but that's keeping it at 65 mph.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.