Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I got rear ended from a small jeep liberty, going about 40 mph or so. His SUV was demolished to say the least but at least nobody got seriously hurt so that is good. I don't have pics yet but I can describe some of the damage. I have a 2018 Ram 2500 Laramie sport appearance package 4x4. Stock except for a tool box and a spray in bed liner.

Damage: My rear bumper is in pieces, the tow hitch is bent. Looked like the tailgate is warped and may not open/close properly again. I did not drive it after it was hit but coasted to the side of the highway when it happened. Motor sounded the same as far as I can tell. I didn't hear anything different from normal running but it was on a busy highway so not sure about that.

Now for the questions:

1. Has anyone else had this happen and got the truck fixed without further problems?

2. What do you look for to make sure the repair shop checks everything out correctly?

3. Is there anything specific I should look for and make sure the auto body shop checks?

This happened about 3 hours ago and I'm trying to remember the best I can but my head's still foggy. Also any experiences out there would help out big time so I can make sure I'm doing everything I need to in order to fix this. One issue for me is I got this truck brand new, it only has 10k miles on it and if its totaled out the newer ones are at least 9k more than what I payed for this one with the same options. Thanks in advanced for any help. Drive safe out there!

·
Cummins Freak
3,275 Posts
You need to check the gaps between the bed and cab. Bed side buckling and they will also want to check the frame to make sure it is not bent!! Glad your OK!!

Reactions: cwendel

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to check the gaps between the bed and cab. Bed side buckling and they will also want to check the frame to make sure it is not bent!! Glad your OK!!
Great tip thank you, glad we are ok too. Can they fix a bent frame?

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I would also have them check to see if the driveshaft got pushed into the tail housing of the transmission. If it did bend the frame, it may have pushed the rear end forward. Possible crack in trans. Glad you’re OK!! My wife and I got rear ended by a full size Escalade in my wife’s Jeep Grand Cherokee. He was going about 40 mph too, we had pretty substantial damage but everyone turned out to be OK! Good luck!!

AZJohnnyO
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hope you swapped insurance info, did many photos, and called your attorney. Necks and spines don’t like getting smacked in the rear. You may feel ok now, sometimes injuries sneak up on us later.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
^^THAT

post accident whiplash and back injuries don’t typically start to manifest for AT LEAST 36 hours. Schedule a visit for day after tomorrow with a chiropractor who can do xrays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2500/6

·
Registered
14,148 Posts
Highly doubt the insurance company will total your truck for this amount of damage.

Find a competent body shop and they will be able to check all possible damage, a good shop doesn't want any come backs.

Then, as stated, make absolutely sure you or your passengers don't have any injuries, something you can't tell for sure now. Most everyone carries PIP insurance for that these days

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Have the motor mounts and trans mounts checked as well. I was rear ended years ago (different truck) really hard and it did not bend the frame, however the shock and extreme acceleration broke all mounts to the engine and trans. Found it weeks later after truck was fixed. Kept getting weird clunking sounds when accelerating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate all the information that is posted and today we both feel really sore. When it happened we were met with the state police (which were just great). They got all the insurance information for me and gave me a police report on the spot. The other driver couldn't speak english that well which made it hard to make sure his kid was ok. Luckily the EMS guy could speak Spanish. I am going to the towing company to get the rest of my stuff out of it and I'll post pics when I get back.

As for the truck: I'm not a mechanic whatsoever but I will have all of these things checked out you all listed to make sure its fixed right. My dad got into a similar wreck on his Ford and it was never the same. He had continued problems with his and I just hope mine isn't like it.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Many good shops offer life time warranty on their work. If they missed something they will go back and fix it. Its not all bad to use a shop the insurance company recommends, the insurance company also only wants to fix it once. Progressive recommended a good shop after my accident, but it was to far away so I chose a local shop that does a lifetime guarantee on collision repair. You might also want to make sure the shop you use does a lot of work with the insurance company, it will make it a lot smoother and quicker. A lot of time is wasted waiting for insurance adjuster to show up and approve the work, which confuses me since they have no choice. But if an adjuster for that company goes there every other day for multiple cars it helps. If they person who hit you has some odd insurance it might not apply. Remember you can take it to any shop you want, you do not have to use the one the at fault drivers insurance wants to use. Also look into Diminished Value, most states allow it. Once your truck is repaired back the exact condition it was before the accident your truck is still worth less then it was because it now has been in a wreck and that will show up on the carfax reports. So you cannot sell it as never been in an accident. In Fl you have 4 years to file a diminished value claim. My truck has $18 of front end damage, I accepted $3K in diminished value. But nothing on my truck was repaired, it was all new parts, all new suspension, new axle housing, new radiator, new everything. It was all unbolt and bolt on new parts. Maybe I could have gotten more, but I was happy and moved on.

If you get into a second accident it will be much harder to get a diminished value claim if your state allows it, because its value was already diminished. That really stinks if this was not major damage but also something to consider. Until a good shop puts it in a rack and checks motor mounts, frame dimensions etc you really have no clue of how much damage.

·
Registered
11,376 Posts
Your rig has lost value even if repaired. The accident report shows up on carfax and has removed value. I would be tempted to require the insurance company to buy it. If not be sure to get a check that pays for the lower value even after repairs are done you now have because of the crash.

·
Cummins Dude
2,773 Posts
Glad everyone’s okay. So far.

Like others may have said.
Get all parties to a doctor to get checked out. Establish health conditions at the outset. Effects of Whiplash can occur over time and can have a lasting effect.
It doesn’t hurt to speak to a lawyer for advise either. If one is retained, Don’t settle right away.
Property (vehicles) can be repaired. Bodies....not so easily.
Go to a repair shop recommended and guaranteed by your insurance company.
Claim for diminished value.

·
Premium Member
3,939 Posts
Don’t fret your truck is probably not totaled. Mine was hit at about the same mileage and about 6 months into ownership and in about the same way....5700 in damage..... bedside, hitch, bumper, tailgate, tail light, back of cab scratched on passenger side.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
After checking for injuries and calling 911, my cell phone would be taking at least 50 photos of everything and everyone, from every angle.
Your insurance will immediately begin repair through your collision coverage, less your deductible.
Your insurance company will negotiate a settlement with the other drivers insurance (hope they have it) since they are at fault and recover your deductible, rental car and medical costs..if any.
Go see a doctor if yo feel injured..you will be sore for a few days.
I'm guessing the rear-ender was on the phone.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If it were me, I would get rid of the truck and sue the crap out of the guy that rear ended me. Probably was texting and driving.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If it were me, I would get rid of the truck and sue the crap out of the guy that rear ended me. Probably was texting and driving.
Real Christian of you. How do you know the rest of the story. Your the kind of person that drives everyone else’s ins up. Real piece of crap.
What makes me a poc? Please explain.

Why bring religion into this? What does that have to do with anything?

How do you explain someone rear ending you at 40 mph?

You sure are a smart one.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Read my post in the prev thread.
As for rear ended at 40? How do you know if that’s the speed the op was driving at or the differential? How would anybody prove the differential at this point? PROBABLY on the phone? How do you know there wasn’t a medical emergency. You know NOTHING about the situation but the first thing that comes to your mind is to hire a lawyer. And you don’t know what makes you a P.O.S.?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Read my post in the prev thread.
As for rear ended at 40? How do you know if that’s the speed the op was driving at or the differential? How would anybody prove the differential at this point? PROBABLY on the phone? How do you know there wasn’t a medical emergency. You know NOTHING about the situation but the first thing that comes to your mind is to hire a lawyer. And you don’t know what makes you a P.O.S.?
I'm going by what the OP posted....40 mph. As far as insurance premiums rising...if we had folks that didn't drive like a maniac, premiums would not rise.

So if you were in an accident and you and your family was injured or heaven forbid killed....you would not hire an attorney?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, before things get heated here is a pic of the other driver's Jeep.

After reading the reply's I appreciate everyone giving their advice and it is very helpful. Nobody wants to have to deal with a wrecked truck afterwards especially after they bought it brand new. I'm more vested into this truck because it was a present to myself after I retired and worked by butt off to get it.

That being said, there is no way I could know for sure how fast he was going. It's an estimate base on experience is all. I was stopped on the freeway because there was another accident about 2 mile ahead of me that I was sure everyone on the road could see with cops and EMS.

The other driver had a woman and a kid in their Jeep but didn't seem to be in a rush or had somewhere to get to. They waited there for a family member to pick them up last I heard from the officer.

I didn't get photos of my truck cause I was worried about my wife, their kid and the others, and honestly it happened so fast I got lost in thought before we went to the hospital. I called the tow shop to go see it but they were closed so I won't have any until tomorrow but I will post them. Its funny how you don't remember as much til afterwards. In my area tons of people are always on their phones and it drives me bonkers (not that he was but I have no way of knowing).

As for us, we are really really sore and still dealing with other issues. I spent time on here and other websites looking up depreciated values, how to deal with insurance companies and such and still learning about it. I'm pretty sure unless there is something I could not see (mechanically or frame wise) the truck will be repaired from what family members say. I'm just glad their kid is ok and we lived another day.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 89 Posts