Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently, there is a flash coming in early June that is supposed to increase fuel milage by 3-4 mpg. The reason milage is so poor on these has something to do with the EGR recycle and regen. The way he explained it made it sound like the EGR system essentially shuts off the turbo and intercooler. Which is compounded by the regen cycle.

He stated that a couple mechanics in the shop had 6.7's and one got 9mpg consitantly and the other got 18mpg ... what a difference

I found this info out when I had another dealer look at my truck for poor fuel economy. They put it on the ScanStar and found an update fo the OHC and ECM. Drivability was the reason for the update. It's fixing issues with tranny shifting, regen, fuel economy and a few others that I can't remember.

Anyway, have a great day

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sounds good to me, I'll keep my eyes open for this.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Snoman,
For what years is this new flash coming in june---------------just 07--08 or earlier within the 3rd generation?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Probably the 6.7L, since that is what forum you are on:lol3: I think they have had enough time to fix any problems with your truck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Why don't they come out with a flash that gets everybody on the same playing field. Some truck are getting 9 mpg and some are getting 18 mpg, it would be a good start to get them all getting 18.

·
Registered
331 Posts
They are not getting 18 hand calc'ed on a stock truck. No way no how with the regen and egr stuff. That would be a overhead reading unless its a modded truck or they are resetting the mpg on the OHC while they are going down the highway.

It sounds like its just for the auto's. Any idea if its for the standards as well?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've read many threads with people claiming 18-19 mpg hand calculated on a stock truck. Look at "what's your best MPG" thread in this section.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
They are not getting 18 hand calc'ed on a stock truck. No way no how with the regen and egr stuff. That would be a overhead reading unless its a modded truck or they are resetting the mpg on the OHC while they are going down the highway.

It sounds like its just for the auto's. Any idea if its for the standards as well?
I'm going to disagree with you .. I can show you 19.3 MPG highway. Hand calcuated as you would say....I divided it on paper with a pencil. Round trip across the Pa. turnpike 550 miles . 28.4 gallons filled to the neck after trip. Speed is the key or should I say lack of speed. 65 MPH on cruise @ 1525RPM's ...:butt::lol3::butt:

·
Registered
167 Posts
They are not getting 18 hand calc'ed on a stock truck. No way no how with the regen and egr stuff.
I've gotten as high as 19.5 mpg hand calculated, but that was 100% highway and empty. I rottenly get between 18-19 mpg hand calculated highway when empty, but it drops to 14-15 mpg hand calculated when I do a lot of city driving.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
I've gotten as high as 19.5 mpg hand calculated, but that was 100% highway and empty. I rottenly get between 18-19 mpg hand calculated highway when empty, but it drops to 14-15 mpg hand calculated when I do a lot of city driving.
Well what kind of mileage should a 7500 lb truck get in the city. I think 14 to 15 is great.:T::T::T:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Well what kind of mileage should a 7500 lb truck get in the city. I think 14 to 15 is great.:T::T::T:

Problem is mine get 12!! I would love to see 15!! Heck I would love 15 on the highway!!

Pre DPF trucks would see hi teens low 20's easy and my old 99 would get 18 city with me driving it like an idiot!!
If I can;t get better economy this will be my last truck course, that is what the greenies want
Chris

·
Registered
479 Posts
I hope the new flash is genuine but I'm skeptical. BTW, I have hand calculated at least 10 tanks and always get over 18mpg. I drive it like a little old lady.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
If you can hold it at 65 and be easy on the Accel. It will get 19MPG no problem. I always drove 80plus on the HW, and I always got 14.5 on the HW. I finely decided to set the cruise at 65. I got 18.6 on a 80 mile trip. I got 16.8 on a 450 mile trip yesterday driving 70 to 75 with the cruise on. I was also playing a little on the HW to. But i know my truck is capable of getting good MPG. My truck also weighs 8360lbs with a 1/2 tank of diesel.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have gotten over 18 mpg, hand calculated, on every highway trip I've taken. If I keep it at 70mph max. Over 70 and it starts dropping quickly. I think these computer flashes are a joke anyway. The last one was supposed to tell you when it's in regen, but I've never seen that show up on the overhead display. There is however a new sticker on the visor since the new flash. I don't know, we'll see I guess.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I get 18 to 20 on the HW while taking it EASY. City driving I get 14 to 15 taking it EASY but if I drive it like a car (fast accelerations etc) I get 12 to 13.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I noticed something interesting this weekend. I have found my lie-o-meter to be pretty accurate so far based on hand calculations.

But I don't think it is "current". When I play with the go-pedal and expect it to drop then it doesn't seem to do so...but it does a bit later. Similarly if I am real soft on the pedal and drive like a grandmother I don't notice much change in the lie-o-meter until later.

Also, yesterday I was driving early and it was chilly and moist and the lie-o-meter was indicating 15mpg on the freeway at 65 (I have been getting 20 or better ever since the MP-8). I picked the speed up to 75 and it went up to about 17mpg (real hard to get this info without instantaneous mode but I was resetting and playing with it). Thought maybe I had been in regen and come out of it so I dropped the speed back to 65 and the mpg went back down to 15 again.

Then driving home around lunch time, temps were 75 or so and dry. Mpg was back up to what I am used to (22 at 65 and 20 at 75mph).

Can the temp make the difference? Was I in regen?

Makes me go Hmmmm. Lots to learn about this regen...I wish the last flash really made the regen visible so I wasn't guessing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
rotten milage

Well would one of you like to trade your 18 mpg truck for mine. It's real pretty and catches alot of eyes. Doesn't miss a feul station though. Just got home from a 7000 mile trip and the best I got was 14.25 mpg without the trailer and with a cross wind pulling a trailer got 8.5. It just sucks and though I really like the way it tows and it's power I got a FOR SALE sign in the window. I installed a MP-8 before I left and played with it the whole trip but didn't see much change. Put 19.5 tires and wheels on it half way through the trip and lost a MPG. If it don't sell guess I'll gut the exhaust and egr and see what happens.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
Well would one of you like to trade your 18 mpg truck for mine. It's real pretty and catches alot of eyes. Doesn't miss a feul station though. Just got home from a 7000 mile trip and the best I got was 14.25 mpg without the trailer and with a cross wind pulling a trailer got 8.5. It just sucks and though I really like the way it tows and it's power I got a FOR SALE sign in the window. I installed a MP-8 before I left and played with it the whole trip but didn't see much change. Put 19.5 tires and wheels on it half way through the trip and lost a MPG. If it don't sell guess I'll gut the exhaust and egr and see what happens.
I use to get the same MPG. 14.5 on the highway and 8.5 pulling 19klbs. All i did was slow down and stayed under 2k rpms when acclerating. My MPG was up to 18 to 19 with cruise on 65, at 70 to 75 I am at 16.5. also my Mega weighs in at 8360lbs

·
Registered
331 Posts
I will trade you straight across. I get 18 mpg with 75% highway and 25% city.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,459 Posts
I have gotten over 18 mpg, hand calculated, on every highway trip I've taken. If I keep it at 70mph max. Over 70 and it starts dropping quickly. I think these computer flashes are a joke anyway. The last one was supposed to tell you when it's in regen, but I've never seen that show up on the overhead display. There is however a new sticker on the visor since the new flash. I don't know, we'll see I guess.
With regards to the new EVIC messages, I believe they are only going to come up if the DPF begins to get filled above 70% or so. I think we are all misinterpreting the wording of the TSB and the visor sticker. We think that the "regen in progress" and "regen complete" messages will come up EVERY time the truck goes into regen. I now believe that the only time we will see these messages is AFTER we get a "dpf xx% full" message. The EVIC will notify us when the DPF is nearing full so we can get to a point where we can maintain highway speed for 45-50 minutes, then it will notify us that the regeneration process has begun. Once it is complete, the EVIC will let us know so that we may go about our business. I think the latest flash (AX for '07.5, AO for G56 '08, AP for 68RFE '08) is also addressing some of the issues with DPF's clogging so people aren't filling their DPFs up as much as a few months ago. This is why there haven't been any reports of people seeing these new messages.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts