Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

jumping a dual battery set-up

2552 Views 8 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  DodgeMech
I have a quick question about my 04 CTD. I tried the search feature and didn't turn anything up. As you're all aware many CTD's come with two batteries from the factory. As this is my first diesel I just wanted to get some confirmation on a question that came up the other day. If I needed a jump, or if I needed to jump someone else off, is there anything special I have to do? Do I simply just pick one of the two batteries to hook the jumper cables up to and do everything else as you would for a vehicle with only one battery? Thanks
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,266 Posts
Thats what I've always done and had no problems yet.

· Registered
1,495 Posts
from my understanding there is a main battery which all the power goes into cranking the truck over and another battery for lights stereo ect. i could be wrong and i dont think it matters but when i need a jump i always put it on the passenger side battery

· Registered
166 Posts
When your jumping someone else it does not matter which battery you use. They are wired in Parallel so it is still a 12 volt system but you double the cranking amps. If you ever need a jump you need to try to determine which battery has gone bad if you have lost a cell. If you just ran it down pick one and let it charge for a while. A diesel is hard to start with only one

· Registered
1,765 Posts
why do we need to batteries is it cuz we need all that power to crank these puppies up?? Does one battery go to something different as the other battery?

· Registered
1,813 Posts
in the winter mostly, they have so much to turn over and on top of that they have to build heat, so two batteries

· Registered
3,608 Posts
First gens only have one battery. One 1125 CCA battery...

The grid heaters are as big of a draw as the starter... They can come on for thirty seconds, then the starter has to crank after the grid heaters hit. Then the grid heaters continue to cycle.

Making it better is that now the engines won't run if the grid heaters or starter drops voltage on the batteries too low and kills the electronics.

So, basically the two batteries are for the winter time and people who actually pay attention to the "Wait to Start" light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.