Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a special way jump start with it having two batteries? Just thinking ahead in case I ever have to.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I just use which ever one is closest to the stalled vehicle, works fine for me. (i've also been jumped on either side by someone else as well).

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Twin Batteries

Our batteries are in Parallel. That way you have 2 12 volt batteries and a 12 volt electrical system. Don't confuse these trucks with some of the older farm and construction equipment that had their batteries in SERIES that doubled the voltage of the batteries to supply the electrical system. ie: 2 6 volt to make a 12 volt system or 2 12 volt to make a 24 volt electrical system.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Parrallel will increase the amperage

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Our batteries are in Parallel. That way you have 2 12 volt batteries and a 12 volt electrical system. Don't confuse these trucks with some of the older farm and construction equipment that had their batteries in SERIES that doubled the voltage of the batteries to supply the electrical system. ie: 2 6 volt to make a 12 volt system or 2 12 volt to make a 24 volt electrical system.
:agree2: That's true

·
Registered
963 Posts
The vehicle you are using to jump with supplies mainly voltage, Very little amperage. If the batteries in the vehicle you are trying to boost are dead, you want to wait till the voltage on your gauge goes up to at least 13.5 volts to start it. If you can, using two sets of jumper cables is the best way. PLAY SAFE!

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
Food for thought. IF you leave the ground loose on the drivers side battery. You will get a hand full of codes. I asked my Dodge guy about it. He reasoning behind it was that is where the ECM gets its ground from. The ground from the other battery was still tightly connected to the ground cable that was not secured on the drivers side. With that being said, I would try to keep the jumper cables to the passenger side battery.

·
UNDERCONSTRUCTION
1,333 Posts
I'd go with a set of jumpers on each battery i had to have my trucked jumped at school once a tow truck hooked to one battery and the schools tractor to the other and it was hard to get it to start

1 - 8 of 8 Posts