Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001dodge 3500 extended cab 2wd standard. I bought the truck last year from my father in law and it’s always had a jerking problem. It doesn’t do it all the time though it might skip a week and one day do it might decide to do it every five minutes. What I mean by jerking is while you’re driving( it does it while just setting idling as well), pulling a load or empty, it’s like the engine looses all power for just a fraction of a second and catches itself and keeps going. It’s like a ground or something is loose but I can’t find the problem do y’all know of anything?

·
Registered
18,872 Posts
Welcome. It is possible it is one of several electrical issues. Some minor some major. Start with cleaning all battery terminals to perfect metal to metal connection and clamps, are all good not worn out. Pay special attention to driver side ground. Check all cables for corrosion inside cable. If you know how check the alternator for high AC voltage on the output wire, Needs to be below .03 to .05v AC. Check with meter that has a 2v scale, not 20 or 200v scale. Check lift pump fuel pressure. Probably not apps if it does it in all positions. It could be a bad injector but check electrical first. Also check codes wiht scan tool rather then the key.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2001dodge 3500 extended cab 2wd standard. I bought the truck last year from my father in law and it’s always had a jerking problem. It doesn’t do it all the time though it might skip a week and one day do it might decide to do it every five minutes. What I mean by jerking is while you’re driving( it does it while just setting idling as well), pulling a load or empty, it’s like the engine looses all power for just a fraction of a second and catches itself and keeps going. It’s like a ground or something is loose but I can’t find the problem do y’all know of anything?
Welcome. It is possible it is one of several electrical issues. Some minor some major. Start with cleaning all battery terminals to perfect metal to metal connection and clamps, are all good not worn out. Pay special attention to driver side ground. Check all cables for corrosion inside cable. If you know how check the alternator for high AC voltage on the output wire, Needs to be below .03 to .05v AC. Check with meter that has a 2v scale, not 20 or 200v scale. Check lift pump fuel pressure. Probably not apps if it does it in all positions. It could be a bad injector but check electrical first. Also check codes wiht scan tool rather then the key.
Thank you so much I’ll get to work on checking those things out 👍

·
Registered
12,046 Posts
Well, the title of this thread definitely caught my attention.
Good thing it turned out to be a problem with your 3500, instead of what it sounded like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts