Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Ram 2500
281 Posts
That’s the way I see it. There’s a reason the catalog doesn’t supersede the later filter to older applications. The later models have an oval shaped opening in the bottom while the 11-12 have a rounder shape. If the new filter was simply of a better filtration rate the previous filter would be discontinued. The filter needs to lock into the bottom of the housing to seal properly. Compare the two and it’s obvious.
Unless I'm missing something the part number for a 2012 shows FS43255. When I go to the Fleetguard website and put in that number (FS43255) it tells me the replacement/upgrade is FS53000. I can't believe their catalog is wrong? I haven't had issues getting mine to seal and the filter does not come out clean. My theory is the seal / O-ring around the base is what does the sealing and not on the shape of the hole in the bottom. I used a Wix for my first change before understanding the importance of fuel cleanliness and the hole in the bottom of it was huge compared to either of the Fleetguard part numbers.

I have been using the FS53000 for 2-1/2 years now. About a year ago I added the throttle up kit. My under hood filter is even cleaner now.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
404 Posts
Cummins' Catalog is not wrong. Who do you think builds these engines and supplies the parts for them? I highly doubt Cummins is going to recommend a faulty filter upgrade. I have been using the FS53000 since Feb 2015 & the last 138K miles with ZERO issues. 228K miles and counting! This was recommended to use directly by the folks at Cummins. It's not uncommon for manufacturers to offer upgraded filtration while still offering the original - the FS53000 is more expensive and may not appeal to everyone or practical for every application.

Attachments

Reactions: tnt_motorsports

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Then it must be the upgrade. Good news for all 10-12 owners. All retailers I deal with still list the original filter as the correct one with no mention of the upgrade. It has been discussed here numerous times when people put either a Fleetguard 43255 or it’s aftermarket equivalent in a 13 and up ( which the aftermarket claims to be the correct filter) they get a no start because the filter doesn’t seal in the canister. It would only be logical that the reverse would apply, but that’s obviously not the case. This isn’t the first time I’ve been wrong and it surely won’t be the last.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've seen the discussions about the knock-offs causing problems, but I haven't paid that close attention. Interestingly enough, Mopar part #68157291AA which is the FS53000 lists this filter only for 2013+ 6.7L, whereas the other filter is only listed for 2010-2012 6.7L. Who is right? I would only install the FS53000 in 2013+ and only buy Fleetguard for 2010+

Most retailers use a third party to build the parts databases for their vehicle lookup systems, so they may not always be an exact match nor offer all of the solutions offered by the source manufacturer. That is an enormous feat for any company to try to 100% match all parts from every manufacturer. Heck, I decided to put a Wix oil filter in my Can-Am, but I knew right away, it definitely is not the same fit as the BRP filter but they cross over to each other. Lesson learned - I'm upgrading to a spin-on filter and ditching them both:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I learned my lesson several years ago when Baldwin claimed they now had the under hood filter. This was shortly after their being purchased by Wix. They claimed then, as they do now , that their filter fits 13 and up when in fact it’s the 43255 style filter. When I opened the box I realized it wasn’t the correct filter and returned it. While I’d hardly call either Baldwin or Wix knock offs they certainly lost credibility in my eyes.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hopefully one of these days stuff like that catches up with aftermarket manufacturers for making parts that aren't compatible. Quality just isn't the same nowadays.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I just went to the Dodge dealer and we pulled the filter for a 2010-12 and a 2013 and up filter and opened the packaging..they both have the identical oval hole however the filter appeared to be much tighter on the 2013 filter and also had a thick pad like material as seen in the picture that the 2010-12 didn't have. To me the 2013 and up filter looks like the better choice?
IMG_20210223_143727092.jpg
IMG_20210223_143716380.jpg

Reactions: 6.7L_MegaCab

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just went to the Dodge dealer and we pulled the filter for a 2010-12 and a 2013 and up filter and opened the packaging..they both have the identical oval hole however the filter appeared to be much tighter on the 2013 filter and also had a thick pad like material as seen in the picture that the 2010-12 didn't have. To me the 2013 and up filter looks like the better choice? View attachment 921147 View attachment 921148
You are correct. Plus the 10-12 filter number is being phased out and will roll over to the 13 + the element you mention is the reason for the upgrade. Much greater Micron rating. Ive been running the mentioned filter for 4 changes now. I will be adding a frame mount setup in the spring. I work my truck hard most of the tear and filtration is of major importance for me.

Reactions: mopar maniac

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I just went to the Dodge dealer and we pulled the filter for a 2010-12 and a 2013 and up filter and opened the packaging..they both have the identical oval hole however the filter appeared to be much tighter on the 2013 filter and also had a thick pad like material as seen in the picture that the 2010-12 didn't have. To me the 2013 and up filter looks like the better choice? View attachment 921147 View attachment 921148
The thick material at the bottom vs the 11-12 style filter is why the old style won’t seal properly in the 13 and up housing, which causes the no start condition. The fact that the new style is backward compatible is a big plus.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The thick material at the bottom vs the 11-12 style filter is why the old style won’t seal properly in the 13 and up housing, which causes the no start condition. The fact that the new style is backward compatible is a big plus.
I might be misunderstanding..the pictured filter is the 13+ filter and you can see the thick material between the cream colored outter ring and the black inner...the 2010-12 does not have that...and the hole is oval on both filters direct from Mopar. I was reading earlier about the 2010-12 having a round hole and the 2013+ having an oval and that being said by someone that would cause a seal issue. Is the round hole found on an aftermarket filter?

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
The last 53000 I bought had a more prominent oval than what pictured in the photo, unless the photo is deceiving. That oval locked the filter in place. It’s quite possible that the 53000 design has been slightly altered so it’s compatible with both housings.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Here is better pics of it let me know if its different
IMG_20210223_202959482.jpg
IMG_20210223_203008890.jpg
IMG_20210223_203055012.jpg

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I’d really need the two old filters in the photo to compare. My memory isn’t 15,000 miles long, but I see the media appears to be different from the Fs53000 I last purchased.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I'm getting to the time to change my oil and filters this week so I'm going to get a 2010-12 filter from Mopar so I can post pictures side by side to give this forum some true comparison between the two..and also last time the fuel filter was changed on my '12 I know it was an aftermarket filter so we can add that to the pictures. Before I started this thread I never gave the quality of filters second thought and I've been running cummins duallys since '92... you learn something new everyday...

41 - 54 of 54 Posts