Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Ram 2500
281 Posts
I'll cut it open tomorrow and get pics if I get back to the shop in time... I'm curious now too... also since my 2012 only has one how often do you think I should be changing it?
15,000 miles or every year. I never make the 15,000 miles so I change mine every year, all 3 of them since I have the Throttle Up filter kit on my 2012.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
2011 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Longhorn 4x4
14 Posts
That said Power Service is an emulsifier, you don't want that. It is bad for your injectors, Howe's separates the water and you can drain your fuel filter. I did a whole bunch of reading after my painful experience in 2019.
Just did a quick search because I just added Power Service +cetane boost to warm truck 5 days ago, is this not accurate information about emulsifiers?? I definitely don't want to deal with injector issues so many seem to have!

Info directly from Power Service and my decision | Diesel Place

In case that link doesn't work:

Direct Link https:// www. dieselplace.com/threads/info-directly-from-power-service-and-my-decision.41783/

Edit: I just noticed this info is from 2005, so has a whole lot changed since then with these additive companies? In the 1990-08 CAT engines I've previously driven and had to deal with maintaining, we did use Howes because others caused problems.

·
US ARMY Retired
908 Posts
For what it's worth my 2012 gelled up in that 2019 cold spell. I used Power Service (white bottle) religiously, and I even added extra, but it failed me. I have since switched to Howe's and have had no issues, but to be honest after that mess my wife won't let me drive it if the daytime high is below 0F. It sure isn't fun laying under a truck in the snow, changing fuel filters in sub 0F weather.

That said Power Service is an emulsifier, you don't want that. It is bad for your injectors, Howe's separates the water and you can drain your fuel filter. I did a whole bunch of reading after my painful experience in 2019. My hope is once and done for this guy!

Just my $0.02
Are you sure you had the correct white bottle? There are 3 different white ones??? Some don't read labels....One for Artic, one for Bio Clean and clear Diesel. I'm not a salesman or trying to promote this product...but it is the "only one " you will find that has the big black "C" on it for Cummins approved. I have had no issues with it in living in KS,OH, PA or currently in NH (retired military 30 yrs and wife is still Active duty).....Just my honest experience. I use the Silver bottle most of the year and the white artic for winter use.

That being said I have also use the Howes and it it great stuff too.

Clink on the link and place your cursor over the Products tab and you'll see all of them.

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Ram 2500
281 Posts
Are you sure you had the correct white bottle? There are 3 different white ones??? Some don't read labels....One for Artic, one for Bio Clean and clear Diesel. I'm not a salesman or trying to promote this product...but it is the "only one " you will find that has the big black "C" on it for Cummins approved. I have had no issues with it in living in KS,OH, PA or currently in NH (retired military 30 yrs and wife is still Active duty).....Just my honest experience. I use the Silver bottle most of the year and the white artic for winter use.

That being said I have also use the Howes and it it great stuff too.

Clink on the link and place your cursor over the Products tab and you'll see all of them.

Fair question, and yes I am absolutely certain I used the correct "white" bottle. I even over treated my fuel based on their recommendation. It was below -30F the day I gelled up, but based on their recommended treatment amount I should have been fine. Anyway, as stated before, after this situation in 2019 and doing some reading I was more concerned about the fact Power Service contains alcohol and is an emulsifier. HPCR and water dissolved in diesel fuel is not a good recipe IMO.

As far as being endorsed by Cummins that doesn't matter to me. There are millions of Cummins on the road that don't use Valvoline oil and that is the "only oil endorsed by Cummins." For me going forward it will be Howe's products. As a side note, Howe's offers to pay the tow if you have issues while using their product...

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Ram 2500
281 Posts
Just did a quick search because I just added Power Service +cetane boost to warm truck 5 days ago, is this not accurate information about emulsifiers?? I definitely don't want to deal with injector issues so many seem to have!

Info directly from Power Service and my decision | Diesel Place

In case that link doesn't work:

Direct Link https:// www. dieselplace.com/threads/info-directly-from-power-service-and-my-decision.41783/

Edit: I just noticed this info is from 2005, so has a whole lot changed since then with these additive companies? In the 1990-08 CAT engines I've previously driven and had to deal with maintaining, we did use Howes because others caused problems.
Power Service website doesn't say (that I can find) if it is an emulsifier or not. Based on a lot of stuff on the WWW it is an emulsifier. I use Howe's as it clearly states on their website and their product pages that the products separate water and don't dissolve it into the fuel.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Go
IMG_20210219_134710529_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210219_134654876_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210219_134643595_HDR.jpg
t a minute and cut open the separator filter...I don't know when this was last replaced of if it ever has been but here's the pictures...

Reactions: gsbrockman

·
US ARMY Retired
908 Posts
WOW....I don't think I ever saw one that dirty. Here's one from my 2017 Ram 2500...along side of a clean/new one. Second pic is the dash before I changed it.
Dirty fuel filter pic.jpg
Dash pic fuel.jpg

·
White Lightning
12,771 Posts
WOW....I don't think I ever saw one that dirty. Here's one from my 2017 Ram 2500...along side of a clean/new one. Second pic is the dash before I changed it.
The OP disassembled his rear fuel separator. You posted your underhood filter.....

·
US ARMY Retired
908 Posts
The OP disassembled his rear fuel separator. You posted your underhood filter.....
😄 Ahhh...ok....I was wondering why it was so short...LOL

·
White Lightning
12,771 Posts
😄 Ahhh...ok....I was wondering why it was so short...LOL
But since you have a 2019....it would be interesting to see your rear fuel filter / separator.

·
US ARMY Retired
908 Posts
But since you have a 2019....it would be interesting to see your rear fuel filter / separator.
yes it would....however, currently its in storage and I don't drive it very much. I hardly get 5K on it when its due to be changed in 12 months. I'll have to tear it apart next time I change it....which isn't until this October.

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Ram 2500
281 Posts
View attachment 920885
Got a minute and cut open the separator filter...I don't know when this was last replaced of if it ever has been but here's the pictures...
Looks like you found the problem. Man that is ugly! Hopefully now you and your son have many more miles of happy motoring.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Do you think this is the original filter? It's amazing that the previous owner had this truck serviced at the Dodge dealer and they didn't change it out in the service. I wonder how many other trucks out there have the same thing. Theses forums are a lifesaver...thanks for all the help

·
White Lightning
12,771 Posts
Hard to say. I’d certainly ask for documentation in the form of actual receipts to verify if ONE or BOTH were changed at the prescribed times.

This is exactly why I do all of my maintenance myself. There’s no question if it’s been done.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hard to say. I’d certainly ask for documentation in the form of actual receipts to verify if ONE or BOTH were changed at the prescribed times.

This is exactly why I do all of my maintenance myself. There’s no question if it’s been done.
Well from now on there won't be any question about it...we'll be on it every oil change!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looks like you found your issue. A couple suggestions for you though. On your 2012, Use the same fuel filter as your son uses ( under hood filter) It will fit and it has a finer micron water separator in it, Then the 2012 specific filter. Also on yours, lengthen the drain hose on the filter canister. That way you can open the drain valve and rain just the filter in the cold of the winter, That will show and remove any water in your filter. Lastly, More money doesn't more quantity. Howes is my go to all year long in my 2012, Never had a fuel issue.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Looks like you found your issue. A couple suggestions for you though. On your 2012, Use the same fuel filter as your son uses ( under hood filter) It will fit and it has a finer micron water separator in it, Then the 2012 specific filter. Also on yours, lengthen the drain hose on the filter canister. That way you can open the drain valve and rain just the filter in the cold of the winter, That will show and remove any water in your filter. Lastly, More money doesn't more quantity. Howes is my go to all year long in my 2012, Never had a fuel issue.
The later model under hood filter may fit inside the canister but it doesn’t seal properly at the bottom.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The later model under hood filter may fit inside the canister but it doesn’t seal properly at the bottom.
So when you say it doesn't seal properly does that mean fuel bypasses the filter?

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
That’s the way I see it. There’s a reason the catalog doesn’t supersede the later filter to older applications. The later models have an oval shaped opening in the bottom while the 11-12 have a rounder shape. If the new filter was simply of a better filtration rate the previous filter would be discontinued. The filter needs to lock into the bottom of the housing to seal properly. Compare the two and it’s obvious.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts