Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I both have 4th Gen trucks as daily drivers. His is a 2016 SRW and mine is a 2012 DRW
125970540_717262945574546_7576481168938281713_n.jpg
. With this weather in northern Wisconsin the last 10 days we have had up tp -45 degree nights and mostly below zero days. We both plug in at night and run Amsoil ALL in ONE additive in our fuel. My 2012 starts with the remote start and runs perfectly night or day...his if it will start runs like its jelling up and we have had to have it towed to our heated warehouse to many times this last week. We replace the fuel filter and warm the truck up inside and it drives good...until the next morning. He has even added 911 to his tank and doesnt help. Any ideas?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Don't mean to be insulting but both filters on the 2016? Mine is a 2012 and acted the same in that cold spell we had in 2019. The truck would run but couldn't get over 25 30 mph and threw low fuel pressure codes even with standyne added. My filter wasn't due for change for about 2,500 miles. I changed my filter and boom no issues. Now I track my warm up idle times better to be more accurate of when it needs changed.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
White Lightning
12,764 Posts
Is the 2016 running quality fuel filters (plural), and none of that Amazon China junk? You are aware that his 2016 has TWO fuel filters, correct? I only ask as you stated you changed ”the fuel filter”....

Have you verified that the rear separator fuel heater is working? Although there was an issue with the early 2013 and 2014 trucks, it might still be something to look into.

·
Registered
401 Posts
What oil is he using? Edit: I'm asking that because you'll get similar issues, sometimes, when turning over if using standard petrol-based oil and until the oil warms up, it's gonna run terrible.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: mopar maniac

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was unaware there is two filters..we've just been changing the one located towards the rear of the engine compartment on the drivers side. Where is the other located and the 2012 doesn't have two filters? And where is the rear separator fuel heater located? We run Amsoil synthetic diesel oil in all our trucks and equipment. We have several 2nd gens all with Fass and Air Dogs on them so we are used to the jelling with them...these 4th Gens are kinda new to us with this issue.. and btw thanks for all the input guys

Reactions: fyredawg

·
1,431 Posts
The other filter is beside the fuel tank under the truck. Under the bed

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The other filter is beside the fuel tank under the truck. Under the bed
Thanks! And my 2012 does not have a second filter or separator heater?

·
Registered
74 Posts
You stated he added 911 to his tank. Diesel 911 is not an anti-gel product, it’s used only to de-ice filters to get the truck started. Here’s a quote from there website.

Diesel 911 is a winter emergency use product. This Winter Rescue Formula reliquefies gelled fuel and de-ices frozen fuel-filters to restore the flow of diesel fuel to an engine. Diesel 911 does not prevent fuel gelling – use Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost (in the white bottle) as a preventive measure to keep fuel from gelling. Diesel 911 and Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost are compatible in diesel fuel and may be used at the same time.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You stated he added 911 to his tank. Diesel 911 is not an anti-gel product, it’s used only to de-ice filters to get the truck started. Here’s a quote from there website.

Diesel 911 is a winter emergency use product. This Winter Rescue Formula reliquefies gelled fuel and de-ices frozen fuel-filters to restore the flow of diesel fuel to an engine. Diesel 911 does not prevent fuel gelling – use Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost (in the white bottle) as a preventive measure to keep fuel from gelling. Diesel 911 and Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost are compatible in diesel fuel and may be used at the same time.
Hi for the record he added the 911 when it was barely running to try to stop it from jelling up and he had the Amsoil All in One in the tank already (same as in my 2012) We've always used the Power Service white bottle in all the trucks but just decided a few weeks ago to try the Amsoil product since we use all their other stuff and he had issues when the temps dropped..I didnt have any issues so I thought it was odd. I'm going to guess the second fuel filter has been needing to be changed for a while or theres an issue with the separator. This forum is the best

Reactions: daletodd

·
White Lightning
12,764 Posts
I was unaware there is two filters..we've just been changing the one located towards the rear of the engine compartment on the drivers side. Where is the other located and the 2012 doesn't have two filters? And where is the rear separator fuel heater located? We run Amsoil synthetic diesel oil in all our trucks and equipment. We have several 2nd gens all with Fass and Air Dogs on them so we are used to the jelling with them...these 4th Gens are kinda new to us with this issue.. and btw thanks for all the input guys
Did you read any of the link I supplied in my previous post? Yes.....there’s quite a few posts within, but your question is answered and even with pictures.

How long has your son had the 2016? Has he never changed the rear separator?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you read any of the link I supplied in my previous post? Yes.....there’s quite a few posts within, but your question is answered and even with pictures.

How long has your son had the 2016? Has he never changed the rear separator?
Good morning and thank you ..he has only had it since October and today we are replacing the second filter and checking the separator heater... that info is very helpful and I'm confident this will fix the issue--Thanks again for the help--Mike

Reactions: Lins

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Ram 2500
281 Posts
Hi for the record he added the 911 when it was barely running to try to stop it from jelling up and he had the Amsoil All in One in the tank already (same as in my 2012) We've always used the Power Service white bottle in all the trucks but just decided a few weeks ago to try the Amsoil product since we use all their other stuff and he had issues when the temps dropped..I didnt have any issues so I thought it was odd. I'm going to guess the second fuel filter has been needing to be changed for a while or theres an issue with the separator. This forum is the best
For what it's worth my 2012 gelled up in that 2019 cold spell. I used Power Service (white bottle) religiously, and I even added extra, but it failed me. I have since switched to Howe's and have had no issues, but to be honest after that mess my wife won't let me drive it if the daytime high is below 0F. It sure isn't fun laying under a truck in the snow, changing fuel filters in sub 0F weather.

That said Power Service is an emulsifier, you don't want that. It is bad for your injectors, Howe's separates the water and you can drain your fuel filter. I did a whole bunch of reading after my painful experience in 2019. My hope is once and done for this guy!

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
74 Posts
I’ve been running hot shots secret with good success. I run there “everyday diesel” on every fill up and there “winter anti-gel” when needed. The bottles are very convenient with the little measuring cup on them. Every 6 months I use there “extreme diesel” to really clean out the system. Fuel and oil... Diesel engine life blood..
Keep it clean and change it regularly

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We've been using Power Service for years and recently switched to Amsoil All in One in all of our trucks and equipment. With Power Service it worked pretty good but when it got really cold we'd still gel up and then out comes the 911 and new filters
IMG_20210215_232220181.jpg
... with this last 10 days or so of down to -45 here I haven't had an issue except for my son's 2016 issues as explained above. I like that the Amsoil comes in 8 oz and 16 oz bottles so no more leaking lids and raunchy cetene smell in the truck. My son's truck had what appeared to be the original filter separator (115k mikes) and we replaced it today and the truck came back to life. So far I'm liking the All in One and haven't had to use the recovery as of yet.

·
White Lightning
12,764 Posts
We've been using Power Service for years and recently switched to Amsoil All in One in all of our trucks and equipment. With Power Service it worked pretty good but when it got really cold we'd still gel up and then out comes the 911 and new filters... this last 10 days or so of down to -45 here I haven't had an issue except for my son's 2016 issues as explained above. I like that the Amsoil comes in 8 oz and 16 oz bottles so no more leaking lids and raunchy cetene smell in the truck. My son's truck had what appeared to be the original filter separator (115k mikes) and we replaced it today and the truck came back to life. So far I'm liking the All in One and haven't had to use the recovery as of yet.
Would be interesting to see what that rear separator looks like inside....

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would be interesting to see what that rear separator looks like inside....
I'll cut it open tomorrow and get pics if I get back to the shop in time... I'm curious now too... also since my 2012 only has one how often do you think I should be changing it?

·
White Lightning
12,764 Posts
I'll cut it open tomorrow and get pics if I get back to the shop in time... I'm curious now too... also since my 2012 only has one how often do you think I should be changing it?
Looks like every 15,000 miles maximum......how often have you been changing it?

·
Registered
60 Posts
That's cute.... wish mine would do 15k .. 9-10k summer 6-7500k winter with XPD added year round on oem mopar filter and Mobil fuel.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks like every 15,000 miles maximum......how often have you been changing it?
View attachment 920698
I replaced mine last oil change because I thought my fuel mileage seemed to have dropped..that was about 10,000 miles ago... I change the oil every 10,000 mile with Amsoil and their filter in all our trucks. Before that I generally changed the fuel filters once a year (20-30,000 miles) or when they'd gel up in the winter...now I'm going to be more diligent with every oil change...learn something new every day...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts