Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I want to thank this site for being extremely informative. 2 weeks into signing on I found a loose #4 injector bracket and a missing radiator overflow because of these forums.
I decided to install a FASS Tiitanium 150 in my 05 2500 quad cab 4x4 SB because of a friends recent, expensive drama with his rig. Mr. Brahs from High Desert Ravelco recommended that I replace the entire lift pump with a Jeep Liberty fuel canister to help the free flow and he had been told that it was a direct drop in and that all the wiring and connections would match up. Long story short, yes it drops right in. We (thank you Mr. Jones and sons) lifted the bed off of my rig and did the enitre install in this manner. The lift pump replacement was painless. FASS' instruction manual leaves a little something to be desired. I would download the vehcile specific instructions from their site next time. Here are some pics of the Jeep Liberty can next to the factory lift. Oh and by the way, I ran the tank down to under a 16th of a tank with no discernable problems. Thanks again everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sounds like the liberty can is the way to go. I think thats what im gonna do when i buy my raptor lift pump. As far as installation... all you do is drop the liberty can in and connect the hose to the raptor/fass/air dog???

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only difference was the location of a plastic tab thats on the top of the canister. Its at the 11 o'clock position rather than the 12 o'clock positon (as your'e looking at it, but it drops right in spot on the tank collar.

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts
Sounds like the liberty can is the way to go. I think thats what im gonna do when i buy my raptor lift pump. As far as installation... all you do is drop the liberty can in and connect the hose to the raptor/fass/air dog???
This is what I did when I did my raptor, I have ran my tank all the way down and had no problems. Ull need to buy the doorman connectors with your raptor so the lines can be hooked to the canister

·
Hide your cats!
5,113 Posts
so im curious whats the point? is it to help with the 1/4 tank issues or does the liberty flow better?

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
so im curious whats the point? is it to help with the 1/4 tank issues or does the liberty flow better?
it's just a drop in module that has no lp instead of the stocker that does...you can still get a stock one w/o the pump though...or at least ya could as of about a year ago...

i'd buy this one instead though...

well nvm...seems like vulcan don't sell the liberty module w/ the drawstraw preinstalled anymore

Reactions: mstoaks

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts
You wont have 1/4 tank issues at all, just like if you have the stock fuel canister.

Reactions: mstoaks

·
Hide your cats!
5,113 Posts
for a second i thought i was missing something! thought the liberty pump held a higher psi or something....... nevermind!

·
Registered
795 Posts
i put my raptor 100 inline with the factory pump still flowing. Supposedly is good to 700 hp. No reason i could see to take it out.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Just now purchased a raptor 150. Hoping to install it in the next day or so when it arrives. In the meantime, I had the VP replaced a few years ago when the stock LP died. They replaced the LP with the in tank style pump.

With the Raptor, do I need to pull the tank and do this "Liberty canister" mod? I am not sure if the in tank pump is working or not. My fuel pressure gauge reads about 2psi and it pegs at 0 with any acceleration.

truck info is in my sig....

thanks guys. Kinda stressing out here. Seem to have caught the vehicle flu lately.

Just realized this came up on search and it's in the 3rd gen forum.....so, next stupid question, does the liberty canister work on the 2nd gens?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Suscribed.

·
Registered
590 Posts
if you buy the drawstraw 5 can you just remove the pump from the stock canister and turn the stocker into the liberty canister deal witht he drawstraw 5?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didnt know about the Draw Straw 5 when I did my conversion. I had access to getting the Liberty canister through a relatives shop for about the same price as that kit without waiting for delivery. It seemed to be the fastest, easiest way at the time.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I didnt know about the Draw Straw 5 when I did my conversion. I had access to getting the Liberty canister through a relatives shop for about the same price as that kit without waiting for delivery. It seemed to be the fastest, easiest way at the time.

is the liberty canister working well for you?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No problems at all and I ran that rig down to fumes to try and expose any problems.

Reactions: smally

·
Registered
590 Posts
the liberty canister is just the drawstraw 5 conversion done for you right?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Jeep Liberty canister is almost exactly the same minus the lift pump. The fuel float, wiring, alignment tabs (a tiny bit different), retention housing at the base, etc. I just didn't want to modify my lift pump and hope that I didn't make the draw too free flowing or restricted.

If I were to do the whole thing over, I would look at a fuel sump to a raptor pump to a Dahl water separator to a filter housing in a XX diesel type bracket. I think a skid plate could be fashioned to protect the sump. This modification crap is addicting.

Maybe next time.

Reactions: smally
1 - 19 of 19 Posts