Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 277 Posts

·
Ducati M.
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright I figured it was about time I did one of these for this truck. The story goes that my love of diesels started with my 93 dodge w250 known as The Roo Hunter. I got it bone stock at 16, and loved every minute of it. Over many months the truck gained much horsepower, and got more fun

Then tragedy struck August 10th, 2013 after I killed the stock diaphragm lift pump, and was left without the truck for a week, so I dropped by the dodge dealership, and picked this one up. I decided to call it jaeger because of the movie pacific rim that I'd seen on the weekend

Turned out I actually knew the previous owner, and the only thing that had gone wrong in 74,000 kilometres was one of the licence plate lights had burned out. After a month I decided to order exhaust, but was told I had to save money for school, so no tuner at that point.

Cosmetics ended up being things I was allowed to do, so I did this

Then some LED taillights and some other LEDs made their way onto the truck. Then I managed to sneak a 2 inch lift onto it

Then the fun began, as I got permission to order the tuner to go along with the exhaust I'd ordered 5 months prior, so I got in contact with davemathews and got a mini maxx sent to me with custom tunes

and then I was off to my 1st year heavy duty school, so I only bought a light bar

oh and an exhaust tip.

·
Ducati M.
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For my birthday I got a set of anzo halo projector headlights.

A few weeks later I decided to put my quick release grill kit from genos' and decided it was time to put my lightbar in the bumper, so I built some brackets, and voila.

then I decided to make my own egr block off plates

I decided I wanted some gauges on the pillar, so I contacted diesel manor, and ordered up isspro factory match 100psi boost, rail pressure, and 2000* pyro.

Then I got my egt baseline with the stock turbo (1900* on a long pull with the tuning I was running) so it was time for more air. I ordered a straight flange steed speed, most of a source 2nd gen swap, and an s467fmw. Then I waited impatiently for my next 3 day weekend. Unfortunately the 467 didn't come in in time, so I took the s480 I'd gotten over a year ago, and decided to stick that on.

I decided to go with manifold studs rather than sticking with bolts. It made the install a lot easier

because I wanted to keep my exhaust a full 5 inches I got a flange and a 90* piece of pipe and modded my diamond eye downpipe

on the 1st of July I decided to pull my ccv cover, and paint it. while I had it off I made the choice to gut the filter.

Reactions: ehgent orange

·
Yes Really
1,031 Posts
Wow that looks really good man! Its really coming along nicely!

How is the s480 to spool? Slow?

·
Banned
2,161 Posts
I decided to go with manifold studs rather than sticking with bolts. It made the install a lot easier
ooohhh, I really like the way the no-angle manifold flange puts the turbo at a nice height. Not too low, not too high.

Any issues with exh or cold air tube with it mounted at that level?
I mean if you were to do it ALL OVER again would you still with the manifold style you have?

·
Ducati M.
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 80 spools a LOT faster than I expected. It's actually fully lit by around 2100rpm.

I really like the straight flange. I had some small issues fitting the 5" pipe (had to pull the heat shield that's on the coolant overflow) to get stop it from hitting, and the water line that goes into the cab doesn't line up with any of the original holes. I did get away with using a straight piece of 3" pipe for the ic pipe, but having a slight bend would be a little easier. If I were to do it again I'd use the straight flange for sure

·
Yes Really
1,031 Posts
Thats great to hear it runs good for ya!

Im stuck on what size turbo to get. Just need to decide so i can join the swapped crowd!

·
Ducati M.
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It really comes down to your goals. I know I'm going to be putting a lot of fuel to this thing eventually, so I went with something I won't outgrow. I eventually want to swap to a Garrett gtx4508r which is about the same size, but will be a better all around turbo.

On another note I ordered a set of arp 625's and Hamilton valve springs, so I can spin this thing up some more

·
Yes Really
1,031 Posts
Yeah i hear ya! I don't need any extra power past stock fueling. Just get rid of the vgt and have a good tow vehicle that is reliable. thinking s465.

You seem to be heading towards the dark side! :thumbup: whats your end goal? 700 ish?

·
Ducati M.
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
800+whp is the goal with stock bottom end. A 465 would probably fit your goal very well then

·
Yes Really
1,031 Posts
Good luck with the goal!

I can't wait to see how it turns out

Reactions: DMan1198

·
Ducati M.
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. Neither can I. I have to finish my 93 first so I've got a spare high horsepower truck for when this one goes down for bigger work

Reactions: trafficmstr

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
What's all this "permission" and "told to" crap? Must be married eh?:hehe:

What's the next step?

·
Ducati M.
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was to do with my parents wanting me to save money for school.

Next step will be a built trans. First step in that will be a new valve body, and pan. Once the trans is taken care of it'll be time for fuel, so lift pump, dual fuellers, and some big sticks

·
Registered
458 Posts
I was gonna say, it's because the boy is young, like me haha. Ive been picking up parts for a trans swap slowly, I only need a coupla drive shafts and a tcase but same deal I'm supposed to be saving money for school lol

·
Ducati M.
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So tonight I gave the truck a bath followed by a good clay barring then wax. She looks pretty good minus all the rock chips, and scratches. I'll get a shot tomorrow

·
Ducati M.
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So an unfortunate thing to come from the straight flange manifold is source automotives turbo oil drain isn't quite long enough to fully go into the block like it's supposed to. This reared its head on the 800 kilometer drive to from home to lethbridge where oil started seeping past the one o-ring that's in there (basically the whole underside of my truck has a layer of oil on it). When I get home I'll figure out a way to get a 2nd gen drain nipple in there, and that'll fix the problem

·
Ducati M.
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So got some pretty thorough testing done this weekend. Tested the 80 at altitude in excess of 3600 feet above sea level. Spool up is definitely more of a challenge, but since I was cruising with ehgentorange we did some comparative testing of his s472 with a 3000us tune from tomeygun against my s480 with my own 3500us tune. The results were very similar spool up, and we ran pretty much side by side in all our tests (though mine cleans up a bit better at that altitude)

On the return trip I went 795.9km and filled the truck up with 95.152 litres. Converting that to mpg makes 19.64mpg

·
Ducati M.
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Studs and springs came in. Hg might have blown yesterday though as it currently blows white smoke if I do more than 105

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
So got some pretty thorough testing done this weekend. Tested the 80 at altitude in excess of 3600 feet above sea level. Spool up is definitely more of a challenge, but since I was cruising with ehgentorange we did some comparative testing of his s472 with a 3000us tune from tomeygun against my s480 with my own 3500us tune. The results were very similar spool up, and we ran pretty much side by side in all our tests (though mine cleans up a bit better at that altitude)

On the return trip I went 795.9km and filled the truck up with 95.152 litres. Converting that to mpg makes 19.64mpg
I was on my 2500us tune lol. Mine seemed to spool a little quicker but im pretty impressed how decent that 80mm spools for stock fueling:shock:

·
Ducati M.
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I got my s467 today. After looking at an s480 for the past few weeks the compressor wheel looks quite small. When I got home I pulled the compressor housing off, cleaned it up, and am giving it several coats of the same red as what's on my CCV cover

1 - 20 of 277 Posts