Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And i've decided that I need my truck to be a real towing rig. So I'm thinking i should go with an hx40/hx60 twin setup and intercooler off a powerstroke. If there any better suggestions to this, I'd like some advice, but for now this is what I'm thinking. Will this setup run new era 435 cool and clean enough for towing, or should i go with the 370's? And where could i find the intake and exhaust piping to hook a hx40 and hx60 together?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Seems to me like 430's would be well matched with them. Maybe consider a 35 on top?

That's just my noodler there, no experience on anything of the sort...

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Some guys here have twins.

Paccool? Think your setup could cool 435's?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Gated 14cm on your stock H1C and a HT3B off any big cam cummins will clean up the fuel from the 435's. But be warned, additional engine cooling will be required at the higher HP levels. Custom radiator and some big fans. You can get ahold of source automotive for most of your piping needs. Or, go to a pipe supply house and get some natural gas or weld on hydro fittings, they are schedule 40 cold steel. Don't use any cast pipe for the hot pipe unless it's manufactured for your app because you cannot weld it reliably. The 40/60 is too much turbo for 435's on a tow piece. Don't forget about the rest of your engine, o-rings, 12mm studs, .020 over HG and 3piece manifold. You'll also need a 100psi boost gauge and use the one you have now for between your turbos.

·
Premium Member
2,550 Posts
Paccool? Think your setup could cool 435's?
I tried the 370's and they were not big enough. I sent them back and now have a set of 435's that I need to get swapped out. I also have a set of DDP stage 4's. They are close to stage 4's but Lenny honed them out to slightly larger than stage 4's.

I had Stomps big set of injectors (the ones he made the big HP with) in the truck for a few months and they were good with my twins setup. My boost was above 60 psi with them and the gauge only went to 60 so I don't know how high it got. I am running the stock headbolts so I need to be a little careful. I have a 35 on top and a HT3B on the bottom.

I expect the 435's will be just about right . The only problem I have with the big injectors is too much smoke at idle and taking off. Also towing is a little touchy as I need to keep an eye on the EGT gauge when running up a long hill with the travel trailer.

With twins, you gotta have the fuel to light off the bottom turbo.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
new thought, how does an hx35 up top with a 16 housing and an hx50 down low with 435's sound. It seems more mild and streetable, and like it would be great for towing and recreational racing. Of course I'll do the head bolt and gasket, but you don't think i'd need any porting at this point?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bump. Any insight is helpful. I'm just looking for a solid system to keep the 435's cool and somewhat clean. And i want them to be twins so any help on the setup would be great.

·
Registered
570 Posts
HX55 is the smallest I would recommend for the bottom. Just hybrid your stocker for the top. It's gonna save you some $$. You'll have a grand in the head (no porting included), gasket and o-rings, and studs if you do all the work the way it is. I am putting my twins in as we speak and it's already getting expensive.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Does a compressor upgrade matter as much when it comes to twins?

I'm sure there's a thermodynamic explanation... But wouldn't having the air pre-pressurized make a compressor upgrade less valuable?

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'm sorry, I was reffering to a 12cm WG housing on the stocker. My ignorant mistake. Thanks for the catch Begle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts