Cummins Diesel Forum banner

It's Done!

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  xdac 
#1 · (Edited)
The transmission swap from auto to manual is COMPLETE. :woot::woot::woot::hyper::hyper::peelout:peelout

Guys I love this truck even more now. I have twice the truck now. I could not be happier with the way it turned out. Everything looks completely factory inside and out. Performance is SO much better.

The swap itself was not a bad job at all. I would definitely do it again if I had to. It was all very straight forward. I had never even pulled a transmission before this swap. I learned as I went along.

Any of you guys thinking about doing it, just DO IT. It's not nearly as bad as it sounds like it would be.

Cost: Not counting my fluid, I have $2215 invested in everything. I got several parts leftover that the guy sent me with the swap parts. Between those and all of my automatic stuff I'll be way ahead on this. I've already got $2200 just for my old auto and TC. Two parts from the auto are pending sale at $80 for the two of them. I'm already ahead on costs.

If anyone has any questions or whatever please feel free to ask me. I'm happy to help out.

See less See more
#2 ·
Very nice!!! I am glad you are happier with your rig...BUT, Now that you are in the plus, I see who is buying the:beer :beer JK...:T: Glad it is DONE!!!

#5 ·
Well it took longer than most could probably do it.

The truck was parked exactly four weeks. That is from the start of automatic tear down to 5 spd swap completion.

The truck set for one week with nothing done to it while I waited on my swap parts to be shipped here.

Then you have to count in the MANY days of rain that I didn't get anything done. I had to do this outside on the grass.

Then, you have to figure the 5-6 day work weeks I work, so on these days I only had evenings to do any work. And to be honest 3/4 of these evenings I didn't do a thing to it.

And consider the fact I've never done anything like this before; it was all new to me.

I think I got it done pretty quick actually, all things considered.

#6 ·
I've been wanting to do this but the wifey is scared of manuals let alone towing horses with a manual.... Oh well, I'm gonna go ahead and seriously look into it now!

#10 ·
Congratulations!!!! Big Whoops! for a job well done.
Now if I may make a suggestion that will save you time and money in the long run...Pull the shifter and add another quart of fluid threw the hole! These things are low from the factory because of a design flaw that puts the fill plug too low in the case. Then order the fast cooler trans cooler that bolts between the PTO cover and the trans on the driver's side. While you are at it... add the filter kit to the other side. This way you can carry an extra 1 1/2 qts fluid and keep temps low. With these mods on my NV5600 I see between 125* driving and 150/160* towing.
Best of luck to you! Chris

#12 ·
Ive been thinking of do it instead of replacing my auto tranny, but im sure the cost would be killer. I take it you did all the work your self, so you probably saved a bundle...now you got me wanting to do it even more!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.