Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
you both need a life. one for starting a 2nd thread over the samething, and the other guy for talking about "safety certs" and replacing before the parts lifespan. did you know truck diesel engines are rated for 250k? i guess ill be replacing my engine at 250k for no reason

·
Registered
684 Posts
. did you know truck diesel engines are rated for 250k? i guess ill be replacing my engine at 250k for no reason
You raised my curiosity. I’d be interested to see the “truck diesel engines are rated for 250k” from Cummins. Could you attach this information for others to see?

·
Registered
678 Posts
You raised my curiosity. I’d be interested to see the “truck diesel engines are rated for 250k” from Cummins. Could you attach this information for others to see?
i'll have to retract that statement for now until i find where i read it. it was specific to smaller diesel engines like what we have, not larger HD engines

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Thank you, still curious, anybody else know of this info?

·
Registered
13,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I had heard of the medium duty Cummins engines having a life to overhaul expectancy of 250K, that was about 20 years ago when I was looking at a medium duty Freightliner and they would not warranty them past that point.

Here is something more recent talking about life to overhaul expectancy, B10 & B50 Life of Diesel Engines

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
you both need a life. one for starting a 2nd thread over the samething, and the other guy for talking about "safety certs" and replacing before the parts lifespan. did you know truck diesel engines are rated for 250k? i guess ill be replacing my engine at 250k for no reason
It would appear you need to pay a little more attention. He didn’t “ start” a new thread. He went back to his old maint thread to avoid all the drama raised here that has nothing to do with the repair. Kinda like you and your 2 cts worth.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
It would appear you need to pay a little more attention. He didn’t “ start” a new thread. He went back to his old maint thread to avoid all the drama raised here that has nothing to do with the repair. Kinda like you and your 2 cts worth.
Meany

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
For running authority in Manitoba we require a certificate of safety. It’s basically a record of the driving history of all trucks/trailers and whatever else insured and plated commercially. You cannot get plates without it. We just got audited this passed November and we’re made to put in place all this bs including lifespan of wearable parts and preemptive replacing. I don’t agree with some of it but it’s what they require of us. We were told this has been this way for a long time and the guy was surprised in the company history or 40 years(started by dad and grandpa) that no one has ever audited them. In Manitoba our plates and insurance is a government owned entity. I think for boats and recreational type stuff you can insure through brokers but not vehicles. 1 place to get plates and that’s it. We plate through mpi(Manitoba publicninsurance) and unsure through an sre policy, which is a separate branch basically of mpi. I haven’t had much to deal with it so I don’t know a pile.

I know of a local company that replaces parts on same type of situation. For instance they have a 2 year lifespan on wheel studs lol I can’t imagine doing that. The local authorities basically treating small and large alike. We are small and have the time to pull wheels here and there and rotate and look at stuff. I guess larger companies don’t until a wheel flies off because studs break. But they usually aren’t from being old... it’s driver abuse or improper installation. So like most laws... they aren’t solving much sometimes.

Another thing I don’t understand is we are even told we need to supply reciepts for parts purchased for proof of repairs. They say it’s all in our best interest and we need it inline because if something ever happens then mpi will use our paper trail to back us in court. So they say. This part is new to us so I have no clue on penalties or whatnot for not adhering strictly to their rules or guidelines, whichever they may be. We are told rules so....
Your citizens have succumbed to more government control than ours and that's saying something. Expect more here if the Dems get in and at this time it's looking that way.

Reactions: Jhenderson

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Your citizens have succumbed to more government control than ours and that's saying something. Expect more here if the Dems get in and at this time it's looking that way.
I’m not clear if the bs is rules or suggestions. They don’t say what needs to be done as far as guidelines. Only they want to see guidelines from us on preventative maintenance and part replacement. As far as that goes we won’t have that in place as we don’t necessarily see timelines for most stuff. But we’re small and maintain things much better than a larger company that needs policies so they don’t forget equipment. We’re not told this has to be replaced at a certain interval. They are asking we lay ground work for that. I guess we’ll find out if it’s a suggestion or requirement in the future. And I don’t agree with it as we look after our stuff. But I see junk rolling round the streets constantly and wish they would
Be held to higher standards.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I’m not clear if the bs is rules or suggestions. They don’t say what needs to be done as far as guidelines. Only they want to see guidelines from us on preventative maintenance and part replacement. As far as that goes we won’t have that in place as we don’t necessarily see timelines for most stuff. But we’re small and maintain things much better than a larger company that needs policies so they don’t forget equipment. We’re not told this has to be replaced at a certain interval. They are asking we lay ground work for that. I guess we’ll find out if it’s a suggestion or requirement in the future. And I don’t agree with it as we look after our stuff. But I see junk rolling round the streets constantly and wish they would
Be held to higher standards.
All nonsense. What we really need is a law protecting us from cellulite in bathing suits.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
6,024 Posts
41 - 60 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.