Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My truck started like a top a day ago and always has but , replaced the injectors runs like a bat out of hell but is now hard starting ? Is this common after replacing the stock injectors with 50's

Truck sees 20 psi idle
17 cruising
10-11 WOT ... drops because of the stock line from VP to filter ... that is getting replaced this week .

Raptor 150
New VP44 within the last year
Adren programer

I dont know what other info you need .

My electronic gauge goes up and down on fuel PSI , but have a needle valve and big line kit from filter to VP in the mail .

I am really needing help on this one as my truck never did the have to crank 3 times to start before the new injectors .

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
did you replace the injector tube o-rings?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I would replace them anyway, they may have appeared in good shape but could have torn upon reassembly or cracked or what-have-you. it's always a good idea to replace the injector tube o-rings if you have to remove the tubes. it's a cheap insurance.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where can I get 6 of them ? God dammint I gave to do this all over again ..DOH

If the o rings were bad would this cause this issue ?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
yeah, you'd have a little leakdown in your fuel system so it takes a bit longer to completely pressurize the system.
the injector tubes are easy enough to get to though.

I know the Dodge Dealership will either stock them or be able to get them next day. all depends on the dealer, mine stocks them.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did smell a faint smell of fuel on the oil dipstick but not to much

Ran codes got a P0500 but I did do a burn out ..lol Other that that no codes .

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
definitely sounds like it's tube o-rings. they're supposed to be a one time use o-ring, but I do know of many times that they have been re-used.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well they had 150k on them .. pulled the stock injectors and replaced them with 50's

I guess I will order new tube o rings and go from there .

·
Add some Glo for that Soul!
894 Posts
were the injectors you replaced em with brand new? if not they need new copper washers and injector o rings also. i had a hell of an issue with diesel in the oil after a compression test cuz the guy didnt swap all that Chit out.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brand new DDP 50's from XDP .. so yes all brand new washers and O rings with the injectors

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Pure Diesel Power, its like $7 for 6 new o-rings.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pure Diesel Power, its like $7 for 6 new o-rings.
$20.86 to be exact with shipping .. that is where I got them ordered from just a bit ago .

I hope this fixes the issue . Went out to start the truck again now that it has been setting for a few hours and .. took 3 cranks to get it to turn over ... sucks

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just to be safe I bought a new set of connector tubes also 150 bucks it better work

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So would bad tube o-rings cause this ?

After the truck starts up I can shut it down and it restarts fine . But after sitting for 10 min back to cranking a few times to get started .

So sounds like the fuel PSI is bleeding back , but the raptor primes like it should every key cycle ?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So would bad tube o-rings cause this ?

After the truck starts up I can shut it down and it restarts fine . But after sitting for 10 min back to cranking a few times to get started .

So sounds like the fuel PSI is bleeding back , but the raptor primes like it should every key cycle ?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Clunk , but that does not tell me if a bad o ring causes hard start .

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
yes, bad o-rings can cause a hard start. there are two parts to the fuel system, the low pressure side and the high pressure side. even though your raptor is cycling when you turn key on, it is only priming up to the high pressure side. your leakdown issue is in the high pressure side which is why you are having to crank longer to get it to re-pressurize.
does this make sense? There is no question your raptor is doing it's job like it's supposed to. but you're pressure bleed off is after the high pressure side which doesnt get pressurized until after the engine is turning over.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I believe any way fuel can vent to atmosphere between the fuel pickup and injector nozzle can result in hard starts. I've read of an injector pintle (needle) stuck open by a tiny piece of trash allowed the system to lose prime over night.
Same goes for a poor seal between the end of the fuel tube and injector body.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts