Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was installing my Isspro pyrometer this weekend and I got everything hooked up except the ground and power wires for the circuit box/amplifier. It says to tie the power wire into a fuse which only comes on when the key is turned over. I have narrowed it down that the only fuses that come on when the key is turned over is the fuses in the fuse box inside the cab. Does anybody know which fuse I should tap the wire into?? There is a spare spot where I can put a fuse and I thought about putting it right there....if so, what amp fuse should I use to put in there with it?? Thanks for the help guys!!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
there should be an illumination fuse, or something along those lines.

you should only need about a 5-10 amp fuse.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would i go about tapping into the fuse itself??

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've always tapped my gauges into an "ignitioned" wire...fuse tapping sounds like to much work :lol3:
How would I find the ignition wire??

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
An ignitioned wire...i wouldn't tap the actual ignition wire. You can use, for example, your cigarette lighter wire, or...IDK..you need a voltmeter and to have a general idea of what the wire is for.

I know the 2nd gens don't have it but all newer 3rd gens are wired for pedal height adjusters, and the switch for those have an ignitioned 12v...

·
GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,246 Posts
they make a fuse tap, on mine i tapped the fuse that controls the radio, and illumination, you buy it at a hardware store, and the blade fuse slides in to it, it has a slip in it, then you plug it back in the fuse box, and slide your connector on the tap, and there you have it, power when the key comes on... give me a few minutes, and ill get youa pic...

·
5,246 Posts

here ya go...

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
5,246 Posts
sweet man....that helped alot....could i pick them up at like autoszone or lowes or somwhere like that????
pretty sure you can, but i got mine at the local auto parts store...

·
Registered
210 Posts
i can not find those fuse taps anywhere, ive checked multiple stores and know one has them or even seems to know what i am talkinfg about. where do u guys buy yours at.

·
5,246 Posts
i have three auto parts in my town, advanced auto, carquest, and napa, i got mine at advanced, print that picture off, and go show them so they will have a mental picture, and they should know what you talking about then...

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just typed in in on a gogle search and it Radioshack say that they have them

·
Registered
543 Posts
I got my fuse tap from radio shack. I had to trim it down to fit the small fuse but it worked good then i added a inline fuse because by using the fuse tap it really doesn't go through the fuse

·
5,246 Posts
I got my fuse tap from radio shack. I had to trim it down to fit the small fuse but it worked good then i added a inline fuse because by using the fuse tap it really doesn't go through the fuse
because it has to be on a certain side, one side on the fuse is constant when you turn the key on, then it goes through the fuse and into the relay, so if you put it on the side of the fuse, where it has to go through and be ampered, then the fuse tap works like it is supposed to, i dont know about your year model, but on the 03 and up, you put it on the side of the fuse, closest to the cab..

·
Registered
543 Posts
im not for sure which side but it works great

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would recommend NOT using those!!I am a Mater Technician (cars) and have run into alot of electrical problems which have been traced back to the fusebox and intermittant power failures caused by those fuse taps.The fuse box has female connectors inside that the fuse blades slide into.When you force that much more material into the terminal(remember it will be 2/3rds thicker now than normal because the blade goes into the tap) it spreads the terminal apart and it can't be repaired in most cases.Its alot easier to find a switched ignition wire near the e-brake and tap into it.After 18 years just my $.02!!

·
5,246 Posts
I would recommend NOT using those!!I am a Mater Technician (cars) and have run into alot of electrical problems which have been traced back to the fusebox and intermittant power failures caused by those fuse taps.The fuse box has female connectors inside that the fuse blades slide into.When you force that much more material into the terminal(remember it will be 2/3rds thicker now than normal because the blade goes into the tap) it spreads the terminal apart and it can't be repaired in most cases.Its alot easier to find a switched ignition wire near the e-brake and tap into it.After 18 years just my $.02!!
well my taps dont go into the female ports, the fuse slides through the tap, and then goes into the female connector, to tap never touches the female connect, and as i have noticed, my hasnt been seperated anymore, not im not trying to say you wrong, but i have never had a problem with mine, i guess its just a personal preference, but i understand where your coming from.. im not saying your are wrong, so please dont think that...

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SO I should be able to find an ignition wire around my e-brake?? I got to thinking, I have some subs in my truck and have ran a remote turn on wire from my amp to my stereo....it makes the amp only come only when the key is turned over....could I possibly tap in to that remote turn on wire.... or one of the wires going in to my stereo??

·
5,246 Posts
SO I should be able to find an ignition wire around my e-brake?? I got to thinking, I have some subs in my truck and have ran a remote turn on wire from my amp to my stereo....it makes the amp only come only when the key is turned over....could I possibly tap in to that remote turn on wire.... or one of the wires going in to my stereo??
you sure can, there are plenty of people that do it, just remember something though, the wire off the radio to the amp for the relay, is only .5 amps, its enough to turn the power on, but is it enough to power your gauge, remember they recommend 18ga wire for your gauges...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts