Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
08 Cummins
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wally at FTE told me he is having a tough time getting the Dipricol Rail Pressure gauge to match the rest of my Optix gauges but said he is now selling the ISSPRO EV2 Gauges.

For those of you that have the EV2's what is your opinion of them? I have seen the EV2s and think that they are a great match for the factory gauges and probably actually match better than my Optix.

I have been happy with my Optix gauges but want all of them to match so if I go with the EV2's I'll replace them all. I want to get some opinions before I spend the money though

I appreciate any constructive feedback anyone has on the EV2's.

--Duane

·
08 Cummins
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you should definitely go with the EV2s, but I'm just a bit biased ;)

Regards,
Michael Pliska
ok, you have a biased opinion... can you back it up with some facts as to why I should go with the EV2s?

What are the benefits of the EV2s over my DiPricols?

3 years of flawless operation out of the DiPricols has me hesitant to change to a brand I have no experience with (although I have never heard of any real issues with the ISSPROs) I am going to buy a RP gauge soon so that is probably a given if the DiPricol gauge can't be had. I would like to have a matched set but for me to spend the extra money to match all 4 gauges just for the sake of matching is going to take a little more than a biased opinion. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Probably the biggest advantage is in Pyrometer temperature compensation:
Conventional pyrometers just measure the difference in temperature between the probe tip and the leadwire end (typically at the gauge head). The industry standard is to calibrate on the assumption that the gauge head is at 70° F. In an enclosed cab on a hot day with a dark colored interior, a gauge can reach well over 170° F and will be very slow to cool off (the pods act as a good insulator). This will result in your pyro displaying a temperature over 100° F cooler than the actual temperature, in conditions where you are likely to see high temperatures. Because of this inherent inaccuracy, ISSPRO Performax and EV² pyrometers utilize temperature compensation circuits and show the actual probe tip temperature.

All EV2 gauges are LED backlit with stepper motor movements, and use precision solid-state sensors.

Ours are also made right here in the USA (Portland, OR), by a company that has been supplying gauges to the diesel industry since 1949. We are certified ISO/TS-16949 and an instrumentation supplier to virtually all OEMs in the heavy truck, ag and military markets.

And if you have a problem, we are still in business and you can contact us, unlike some of our competitors ;)

Regards,
Michael Pliska

·
700hp Club
2,199 Posts
I like mine, have the pyro, fuel pressure, rail pressure, boost, trans temp. The ony thing i would have them change would be the range on the trans temp, it is 100-280deg, and that is too high for those of us in cold climates. I have never seen over 210deg in the summer, and in the winter, most days it doesn't even reach 100deg so the needle never moves. But Michael is working on that for us northern folks aren't you sir....................:thumbsup:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I like mine, have the pyro, fuel pressure, rail pressure, boost, trans temp. The ony thing i would have them change would be the range on the trans temp, it is 100-280deg, and that is too high for those of us in cold climates. I have never seen over 210deg in the summer, and in the winter, most days it doesn't even reach 100deg so the needle never moves. But Michael is working on that for us northern folks aren't you sir....................:thumbsup:
When it's cold out, I forget that mine even works. If your on the highway the needle never comes off the pin. Then if I get in "city" driving it might go up to 130. I haven't driven the truck in the summer yet to know what the upper range will be.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Yup, still working on it! Unfortunately my Mechanical Engineering Supervisor just turned in her resignation, she got hired away to the firm her husband works at. Everyone else in her group has been buried so she was doing the face dials lately. Hopefully we can find a replacement quickly and get this project done!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have the Isspro EV2 EGT guage for a little over a year now. Works flawless, but the only negative on it, is the lighting gives a halo affect when you turn your dimming lights down. I believe there is a fix for it, but not really a big deal since I leave my dimming light up high for the cluster (my EGT guage is tied in w/ the dimmer).

I also had Isspro Tranny/EGT/Boost guages in a tripple pod pillar in my '05, and worked great w/o an issue. However, I never experienced any other guage company out there to compare.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,458 Posts
Wally at FTE told me he is having a tough time getting the Dipricol Rail Pressure gauge to match the rest of my Optix gauges but said he is now selling the ISSPRO EV2 Gauges.

For those of you that have the EV2's what is your opinion of them? I have seen the EV2s and think that they are a great match for the factory gauges and probably actually match better than my Optix.

I have been happy with my Optix gauges but want all of them to match so if I go with the EV2's I'll replace them all. I want to get some opinions before I spend the money though

I appreciate any constructive feedback anyone has on the EV2's.

--Duane

I have a couple of the EV2's (boost, EGT) with the intent of a few more. I'll give my feedback in bullet format:

-They match the face and backlighting of the factory gauges but the numbers are a different style and the lack of little ticks between the big ticks makes them stand out from the OEM gauges a bit. In that respect, I think the DiPricol gauges match a bit better.

-I've read Michael talk about the pyro differences for a while and don't dispute the validity of his claim. However, for a while I was running an Edge Juice w/Attitude, followed by a PMT, followed by an Autometer pyro, and finally to the EV2's, with a pyro going into the same tap in the manifold in the same climate and area for all 4. The pyro never acted any differently in the same conditions between all 4. This was in a south Texas summertime so cab temperature in the middle of the day was extreme to say the least. From this lack of difference, I don't see the results Michael claims.

-The backlighting makes for a challenge in reduced visability (dawn/dusk) where it's almost too dark to see the gauges well without the lights on but turning the lights on washes out the numbers until it gets a bit darker. From what I recall on my buddies pickup his DiPricol gauges were the same way, however.

-I was reticent for a set of electric gauges at first but I've had these for coming on 2 years now and they have yet to do anything squirrely so I'd say the product quality is there.

-All in all, they aren't the "perfect match" to OEM that some members here were claiming they were, but are about as close as we can get (I still think the DiPricols matched a bit better, but as Michael eluded to in his post, they are out of business so that effectively takes them out of the equation) and they function well and have a good support system in place. I'll continue buying them until they give me reason not to.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I have a couple of the EV2's (boost, EGT) with the intent of a few more. I'll give my feedback in bullet format:

-They match the face and backlighting of the factory gauges but the numbers are a different style and the lack of little ticks between the big ticks makes them stand out from the OEM gauges a bit. In that respect, I think the DiPricol gauges match a bit better.
Thanks for all of your feedback, positive and negative.

We've actually redesigned our face dials slightly, and they now have a font that is a dead-on match and have minor index marks where some dials did not have them before. One area where I felt we matched better was in the pointer hub, ours is literally an exact scaled-down model of the factory Dodge unit, while DiPricol's is a smaller diameter & deeper shape.
-I've read Michael talk about the pyro differences for a while and don't dispute the validity of his claim. However, for a while I was running an Edge Juice w/Attitude, followed by a PMT, followed by an Autometer pyro, and finally to the EV2's, with a pyro going into the same tap in the manifold in the same climate and area for all 4. The pyro never acted any differently in the same conditions between all 4. This was in a south Texas summertime so cab temperature in the middle of the day was extreme to say the least. From this lack of difference, I don't see the results Michael claims.
Was this after having your truck sit outside in the sun for an extended period before use? Where are the gauges mounted? What color is your truck's interior and exterior? This is something that is readily reproduceable in a laboratory environment - the conventional pyros just measure the difference in temp. Even in our more moderate climate in Oregon, I have seen it when running both an Auto Meter pyro and one of ours side by side.

-The backlighting makes for a challenge in reduced visability (dawn/dusk) where it's almost too dark to see the gauges well without the lights on but turning the lights on washes out the numbers until it gets a bit darker. From what I recall on my buddies pickup his DiPricol gauges were the same way, however.
Our new face dials improve this dusk readability.

-I was reticent for a set of electric gauges at first but I've had these for coming on 2 years now and they have yet to do anything squirrely so I'd say the product quality is there.
Thanks! We have sold 10's of thousands of the EV2 gauges, and they have been very reliable. I still insist on all field service calls for EV2 being sent directly to me. Fortunately the amount of calls is small, and I want to keep tabs on what is happening in the field. We have had a few fuel pressure sensor failures, but even those are a tiny fraction of the problems seen with the sensors used by the competition (and DiPricol changed to the same sensor we were using shortly before they went under, too little and too late for the change).

-All in all, they aren't the "perfect match" to OEM that some members here were claiming they were, but are about as close as we can get (I still think the DiPricols matched a bit better, but as Michael eluded to in his post, they are out of business so that effectively takes them out of the equation) and they function well and have a good support system in place. I'll continue buying them until they give me reason not to.
I appreciate the feedback, this is what helps us to continually improve our products. If you would like to get the newer dials in your gauges, you can ship them back to my attention with a note explaining the requested change, and we'll rebuild them and ship them back out at no charge. We're still getting caught up after the face dial change, so it would be best to wait a few weeks.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,458 Posts
Thanks for all of your feedback, positive and negative.

We've actually redesigned our face dials slightly, and they now have a font that is a dead-on match and have minor index marks where some dials did not have them before. One area where I felt we matched better was in the pointer hub, ours is literally an exact scaled-down model of the factory Dodge unit, while DiPricol's is a smaller diameter & deeper shape.

Was this after having your truck sit outside in the sun for an extended period before use? Where are the gauges mounted? What color is your truck's interior and exterior? This is something that is readily reproduceable in a laboratory environment - the conventional pyros just measure the difference in temp. Even in our more moderate climate in Oregon, I have seen it when running both an Auto Meter pyro and one of ours side by side.

Our new face dials improve this dusk readability.

Thanks! We have sold 10's of thousands of the EV2 gauges, and they have been very reliable. I still insist on all field service calls for EV2 being sent directly to me. Fortunately the amount of calls is small, and I want to keep tabs on what is happening in the field. We have had a few fuel pressure sensor failures, but even those are a tiny fraction of the problems seen with the sensors used by the competition (and DiPricol changed to the same sensor we were using shortly before they went under, too little and too late for the change).

I appreciate the feedback, this is what helps us to continually improve our products. If you would like to get the newer dials in your gauges, you can ship them back to my attention with a note explaining the requested change, and we'll rebuild them and ship them back out at no charge. We're still getting caught up after the face dial change, so it would be best to wait a few weeks.

Regards,
Michael Pliska
I agree the dials themselves match OEM much better than any other gauge I've seen firsthand.

The truck sits outside and exposed always. The gauges are mounted in a dash pod, about 12" from the pillar where the Edge, PMT, and AutoMeter gauges were all located during their time in the pickup. The pickup is Mineral Grey Metallic with the Medium Slate Grey interior. To be clear I never ran two pyro's at one time (only have the manifold tapped in one location) but going from the Edge to the PMT, then from PMT to Autometer pyro, then from Autometer pyro to EV2 pyro, I never saw any difference in initial temperatures, idle temperatures, range of temperatures during acceleration, or cruising temperatures. I have no recorded data as I wasn't conducting any kind of trial, I just remember noting that nothing changed.

As for swapping the gauge faces out, I appreciate it. I'll contact you privately to discuss this more. Impressive customer support.

-Bud

·
Administrator
7,072 Posts
I have 4 EV2s. Boost, pyro, trans and air pressure (airbags). Great gauges. Had an issue with lighting on the pyro, and the trans temp acting goofy in the cold. I sent the offending gauges to Michael, and he got me fixed up in no time flat. Much appreciated. I would definitely buy ISSPROs again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts