Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Are you taking about the vibration? If so my whole truck vibrates and shakes a bit at idle. Mine may be more the clutch/transmissions but I'd say it does look normal to me

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes exactly what I'm trying to address. Drives great, accelerates with power. Just vibrates while idling cold. 74000 miles fuel filter about 6000 miles ago. Over due for CCV filter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2,567 Posts
Yes exactly what I'm trying to address. Drives great, accelerates with power. Just vibrates while idling cold. 74000 miles fuel filter about 6000 miles ago. Over due for CCV filter.

Is this your 1st Cummins diesel?

·
Registered
577 Posts
All I see is a beast of a Cummins ready to tear out of that engine bay.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
I have a diesel problem..
2,299 Posts
I cant say ive seen one shake quite that bad. I wouldnt let it bother me though if everything is operating and running like it should.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put the truck in high idle at 1100rpm and no shake at all. Idled perfect and sounded great. When truck is fully warmed up the normal idle hardly has any shake at all.

·
I have a diesel problem..
2,299 Posts
Like above stated, welcome to the inline 6 cyl life. Wouldnt let it bother you.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Like above stated, welcome to the inline 6 cyl life. Wouldnt let it bother you.

I agree with you I just can't understand why a fully warmed engine doesn't shake a bit but when it's cold it shakes quite a bit. 🤔🤔🤔

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Drive it.........seems ok to me. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ordered CCV filter today from Geno's. Had it overnighted. Hoping this help settle the engine vibration down as it is way overdue.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Mine had a slightly different idle with the box tunes from H&S as well as stock. I would say it had a lot to do with the EOM (engine operating mode) that it was in when cold. After doing some custom tuning that has all gone away and it idles the same no matter what the temp is outside or the engine temp.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Mine idles a little rougher before its warmed up also. even my old '02 with a 5.9L v8 idled rougher before it reached operating temperature. Everything in the motor is engineered to run in unison at around 200* F so it would make sense that before it reaches operating temperature, things will not run as smooth as they will at operating temperature.

Why not just gut that filter and reroute the vent hose ...
I agree with Ratdog1. If you do decide to go ahead and replace the filter and not gut it, I would at least recommend removing the drain hose from the intake tube and either venting it or putting a longer hose on it and letting it drain down below the truck (which is the route I took).

Oil that is forced up and out of the crankcase is absorbed by the CCV filter and the oil vapors are routed to the intake right in front of the turbo to be burned rather than vented to the atmosphere per the Oh-So-Wonderful EPA. once this filter is saturated with oil, which it certainly is if you are well passed the recommended mileage to change it, then actual oil, not just vapors, will be drained into the intake, forced through the turbo, and burned in the motor. There is a good write up on how to gut it and what all is needed here: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/4th-gen-performance-parts-discussion/484230-ccv-delete-how-pics.html

Best part is, gutting a brand new filter with no oil in it would be much better than the mess I had to deal with gutting mine with only 24k miles on it!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The truck feels different and sounds different/healthier with the new filter. The old one had 75,000 on it. Didn't do anything for the engine vibrating though.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The truck feels different and sounds different/healthier with the new filter. The old one had 75,000 on it. Didn't do anything for the engine vibrating though.

It should definitely be healthier for a while now that it's not full of oil and dumping oil into the intake. CCV Filter frequency recommendation is 67,500mi I believe.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts