Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was installing my edge comp the other day. I got to where it said to hookup the boost elbow. Apparently you can't on an 02 and have to do a j hook or something, haven't looked into it yet. But while looking at the metal connecting tube off of the turbo to the waste gate it looks like someone crimped it about halfway shut to achieve the same as the boost elbow. I'm still waiting on my gauges to show up to see what my boost is doing. Anyone else seen this? Is it ok?

·
Registered
583 Posts
crimping the line will not net the same affects as a boost elbow. you woud have to crimp and then drill a small hole in the wastegate side of the line other wise the pressures will equalize and the crimp does nothing. Get a j hook it will be worth it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
jhook

i ran a jhook on my hy until i upgraded turbos for my comp box. the jhook works good and i was able to see 32 psi of boost. about the max you want to run on the hy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
where do you get the j hook

·
Registered
241 Posts
i have a comp and i didnt do this?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
didn't smash the pipe or do the j hook? if i read right the 00 and back you could use the boost elbow but the 01-02 you couldn't, don't know why they sent one if I couldn't use it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
You have an auto correct? I have an 02 with the manual and I use the boost elbow with mine because the manuals have the HX35 where auto's have the HY. So it has nothing to do with the year, it's the tranny. So, get a j hook it will make a world of difference for you.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking at the j hooks earlier. Looks like you just want it to hold the wastegate shut. Do you leave any slack in it or is it supposed to be snug agaist the arm and bracket?

·
Registered
799 Posts
From what I understand it makes it harder to open the wastegate. So you have to adjust it to the point you want your boost at. I honestly wouldn't recommend too much playing with it until you get gauges so you can see what your boost is at. You don't want more than 32 psi max cause that's when you start overspooling your turbo and blowing parts out your exhaust eventually. The tighter you have it the more boost required to push the shaft to open the wastegate.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It seems like the homebrew one's I saw didn't contain a spring or anyway to give it something to overcome and open up. The aftermarket ones contained springs though. x2 on the waiting for my gauges. Too cold to install them/play with the turbo today anyway. Stupid winter

·
Registered
799 Posts
Personally I'd stick with the adjustable ones. You don't want to block it closed completely cause it'll play hell with your drive pressure. Get a good adjustable one, set it to 30 psi and call it good.

And yes, it's too cold to do anything. It was -3 when I got to work and -13 overnight.

·
Marble Crusher
1,857 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts