Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Is thermostat gasket reusable?

7734 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  groundHog
I want to replace my coolant with the long life OAT type, to give me 5 years not 2 for the next flush and fill. I want to remove the thermostat and flush the engine directly through the thermostat housing. My Haynes manual only talks about the 12V diesel.

So, does the 24V use a reusable gasket? Is it the O-ring type of the 12V, or a flat gasket like the gassers?

Thanks.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
I don't remember if it is flat or O-ring, but i changed my thermostat a month ago and reused the gasket. No problems here.

· Registered
590 Posts
Removing & Reusing Thermostat

:bump:

This past weekend I planned to flush the cooling system. The thermostat works fine, so I didn't buy a new one. I planned to remove the thermostat, do the flush, then reinstall it.

Should the thermostat be easy to lift out of the block, or does it get seated in and become difficult to remove? Coz I couldn't get it out of the block without destroying it. It seemed to be pressed into the block. Is this normal? I've removed thermostats in other vehicles (primarily GM), but this is my first rodeo with a Cummins cooling system.

I was in a relatively remote area, no auto parts stores close by, so I just did the flush with the thermostat in...

- djb

· Mopar1973Man.Com
26,034 Posts
Yes you can re-use it but its suggested to replace the thermostat every flush this way you don't have thermostat issues...

· Registered
590 Posts
But should the thermostat just lift out of the block? I had a pair of pliers on the top of the thermostat, and it would not budge. I didn't proceed because I didn't want to ruin it getting it out...

Thanks,
- djb

· Mopar1973Man.Com
26,034 Posts
Just lifts out... But your seems to be cooked in... The rubber O-ring is baked to the block. So you going to ruin it no matter what...

Another good reason to change the thermostat every coolant change. (30K miles or 1.5 Years)

· Registered
590 Posts
OK, I wondered if it was supposed to just lift out. I'll plan to change it out next time.

Thanks,
- djb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.