Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I realize im going to get flamed for this, but here goes. Im new to this forum and have got ask....

I have a stock 2013 Ram Cummins. Its my first diesel and I love it, with one exception, I wish it sounded at least a little more like a diesel, just a little bit louder like a diesel should.

Back ground, Ive heard from 2 unconfirmed sources that the next generation of smog checks will be able to identify if a computer has been flashed/burned or modified and will fail a truck and/or fine for modification of SMOG equipment. Similar to how the dealers can tell. Unfortunately I live in this Utopian state of California. I was very close to installing a programmer and deleting the EGR, DEF and the rest of the BS. Not for power gain but for reliability. Since then, I have scrapped that idea until I know more whats coming down from the EPA goons. At the moment I have accepted having to keep the DEF, EGR and the rest of the SMOG crap.

My question is: In an effort to get a little more sound (more than a VW rabbit), is it possible to hollow out and/or install a pipe sleeve with-in the cat? Would the system still work with out throwing codes? I only want it to be slightly louder, leaving the CAT in would allow it to pass visual. It appears that there are only 2 sensors on the cat???

Does anyone know if the "new generation" smog checks will actually be-able to identify these mods?

I swear Ive searched all over this thread, Im sorry if this info is burred where i couldn't find it. Im new to all the new "diesel Tech" so Im sorry if this is a stupid question..

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
430 Posts
You go for smog checks right? Do the plug into the obd port and check the readiness monitors? If so gutting and putting a pipe through the DPF will trip codes and your monitors won’t set and you would fail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
292 Posts
There is one workable solution however.....

Move

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just NOT to Colorado!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Communist state of California. There is an option of an axle back but literally you will gain minimal if any additional clatter from your beloved dissel

·
Registered
827 Posts
Is there a muffler at the back end you can remove? No emissions 35 miles south of Co Spgs but I still have two mufflers. Craig

·
Registered
184 Posts
Jimmy N you pegged it. If you want more noise that's the answer; just don't make me deaf too.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Remove all sound insulation in the cab, and especially on the firewall. That way you'll have more noise, but people around you won't.
Um, excuse me sir. This thread is strictly for people with pre-13 trucks to suggest irrelevant things to a guy with a totally different emissions system.

How about SIMs? Just get some SIMs!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts