Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not new to the forums as I've been lurking for quite some time. I do alot of searches, but I have yet to find a buyer's guide on here for trucks. I'm torn between a 2nd Gen and a 3rd Gen truck. I know any of the trucks will last forever given proper maintenance, but I'm not sure which one to get. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd like a quad cab just in case I want more than one more adult riding with me. I want an auto just because I want an auto. I know people rave about the 04.5 but I don't know what the difference is. I have a line on one that has 44k on it and is an 04, but I don't know if it's an 04.5. It's 22k, and a private seller. I also have a line on an 01 with 120k at a dealer in jersey that looks nice, but I wouldn't know what to look for if I went to look at it. The last truck is a 06 that meets my requirements for 22k with 70k on the clock. I'm guessing these are all good deals, but what am I looking for? What are tell tell signs to run, besides the 53 block on the one 2nd Gen I'm looking at? Any help, links, flames, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

:peelout

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? I can keep doing searches and compile information, but if it's all in one place?:cool:

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
i prefer the overall package of the second gen...besides the different fuel system, they are very solid trucks, and with a HP lift they are solid....the newer trucks are good too but I am not as familiar..it really depends on which one you prefer..try them both out and see which one you prefer..because the more research you do the more youll see where people have complained about this or that

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love them both, but I have ridden in and have more experience with the 3rd Gen. My buddy has an 04 Dually and I like that truck. I have driven it numerous times. I can't say the same about the 2nd Gen. trucks. They are cheaper though and I'm not looking to be making a huge payment on a truck. I honestly like them both. I just can't decide. I guess that's what to get. I'm not dragging a lot of stuff, just my Grand National to the track every now and then. I'll be piling my saltwater pier fishing gear in it and heading to the water. I need 4wd to get to those hard to reach river spots I fish in fresh water sometimes. That's about it. I don't need much truck, but I do want the Cummins engine in whatever I get. It's just a matter of which generation. It's hard being extremely partial to both. I guess this is a gift and a curse huh?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts