Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Debate:

The 2019 RAM Is a 4.5 gen , at best.

Same cab, same most major parts. Just updated front sheet metal.

Change my mind :)

( also, first post )

·
Registered
34 Posts
I honestly can't disagree as this is my first ram, but i will say it will be nice to have a section on the forums for the big touchscreen and some of the possible differences between the 19's and the earlier years. Rather than sifting through tons of other post.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
is it coming out soon???

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I am not yet convinced that it is even gen 4.5. Seems more like gen 4 with some new options and updates. But I suppose they are sufficiently different to get a new set of forums.

·
HI
3,444 Posts
But other than the cab and bed, everything is changed, suspension, axles, engines, trans. etc. Its an all new truck other than the body lines.
I am not going to be surprised that you will see a 6th gen 1500 before you see the same body lines on the HD look like the 19 1500. So with that when do you call it a generation change? Is the current HD a 4.5 and then it will jump to a 6th gen? SO I call the 19 HD's a 5th gen.
This will be an ongoing debate until Ram redesigns the HD again and we see what they do.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Yep there are more differences between the 2018 and the 2019 than there are similarities. New engine, new axles, new center stack just to name a few.

Now can an admin clean up the 4th gen 2013 to 2018 discussion and move stuff over here?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yep there are more differences between the 2018 and the 2019 than there are similarities. New engine, new axles, new center stack just to name a few.

Now can an admin clean up the 4th gen 2013 to 2018 discussion and move stuff over here?
But other than the cab and bed, everything is changed, suspension, axles, engines, trans. etc. Its an all new truck other than the body lines.
I am not going to be surprised that you will see a 6th gen 1500 before you see the same body lines on the HD look like the 19 1500. So with that when do you call it a generation change? Is the current HD a 4.5 and then it will jump to a 6th gen? SO I call the 19 HD's a 5th gen.
This will be an ongoing debate until Ram redesigns the HD again and we see what they do.

I agree.

Maybe it’s a 4.5, but I would say it’s safe to call it NOT a 4th gen.
Also if you’re wanting confirmation on how updated the 19 is, go drive one!

Thanks for the new subform!

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
Maybe it’s a 4.5, but I would say it’s safe to call it NOT a 4th gen.
Be sure to inform FCA about that. After all, it has a vested interest in these things and would surely like to be in the loop.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Be sure to inform FCA about that. After all, it has a vested interest in these things and would surely like to be in the loop.
As I said, it is more a 5th gen vs a 4th. As already mentioned only the cab is carry over. 4.5 sure 4th gen, nope.

Have you driven one? If not I would suggest you drive one and see what you think.

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
As I said, it is more a 5th gen vs a 4th. As already mentioned only the cab is carry over. 4.5 sure 4th gen, nope.

Have you driven one? If not I would suggest you drive one and see what you think.
It doesn't matter one bit how good or bad they drive.
It's not up to me (or maybe not even you?) to decide what Ram decides to call them.

So far a '19 is apparently a gen 4, whether you like it or not. Maybe you can petition Ram and have it changed if it really makes that big of a difference to you?

·
HI
3,444 Posts
It's not up to me (or maybe not even you?) to decide what Ram decides to call them.

So far a '19 is apparently a gen 4, whether you like it or not. Maybe you can petition Ram and have it changed if it really makes that big of a difference to you?
I can't find where FCA calls it a 4th gen ? All I can find is them calling it a redesigned HD.

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
I can't find where FCA calls it a 4th gen ? All I can find is them calling it a redesigned HD.
Exactly! There's no need to point out that it's still a gen 4. But had it been a 5 it would've been all over the FCA literature, web sites, and ads.

But the way it's going, they may have to skip gen 5 and go directly to 6 since many have already made the decision for them.

·
Cummins Freak
3,252 Posts
I think it should be in the No name gen grey area like the 07.5-09 is on this site!!! Also why is the 2010-2012 still on top of the 2013-2018!! Come on mods fix this stuff it is messing with my OCD!!!

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
I think it should be in the No name gen grey area like the 07.5-09 is on this site!!!
Are you trying to apply logic to this?!?

Now that you mention it, my '14 1500 and 2500 should've been called at least gen 4.25s, because after changing the tires and wheels on them, they drove much, much better.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Are you trying to apply logic to this?!?

Now that you mention it, my '14 1500 and 2500 should've been called at least gen 4.25s, because after changing the tires and wheels on them, they drove much, much better.
Lolol, yeah same thing as everything new with a cab carryover!

While I personally did not read that Ram is calling the 19 a 4th gen, I’ll take your word for it. An FCA engineer may have mentioned it a while back but I don’t recall.
Either way you look at it, it is a heavily updated truck, and a damn nice one at that. The ZF transmission not available on the diesel is the only thing that bums me out but I knew that wasn’t happening for some time as I work for ZF.

Maybe I’ll go fire off an petition email now, or maybe I’ll just have a beer instead!

1 - 20 of 355 Posts