Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on a trip right now to pick up some construction equipment with my tandem axle utility trailer that weighs roughly 3200 lbs. At 60 mph my egts are between 10-11 and boost is anywhere between 10 -15. Does this sound right, or is it working too hard.

·
Registered
214 Posts
What RPM range are you in?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
between 1500-2000 seems to run better around 2000 at 70mph

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think that sounds about right... but Im not really an expert on the subject... hopefully someone else will chime in :thumbsup:

·
4,678 Posts
Man o Man , you better start working that thing hard or it will never break in right. LOL That is fine , youre not pushing anything too hard.

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
Man o Man , you better start working that thing hard or it will never break in right. LOL That is fine , youre not pushing anything too hard.
You are correct that he's not pushing anything too hard... Nevertheless the question remains...

I personally think your EGT's are higher than they should be considering your speed and load. Boost seems about in the ballpark though. I wonder if you have some air leaking out somewhere. Boost leaks cause higher EGT's.

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
Does not matter. EGT's are too high for crusing 60 mph. I can turn my Edge all the way up or down crusing 60 and EGT's don't change significantly.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
if your runnin on a higher setting and towing in the 1500 rpm range i would imagine your egt's would be about that hot if you had a 5 speed i would say run it in 4th at about 60 and you egts would be much lower. unloaded at 55 i would see about 550*

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well guys shortly after I posted my truck went into limp mode and I lost all oil pressure. Turns out the edge chipped screwed off on me. Had to unplug the map and put the stock back on. Oh I had the chip turned down on the 1st setting. After I eliminated it, at about 55mph in 3rd I was doing about 800egts and maybe 5-10psi boost at about 2300rpms. Did try 4th at first but egts got a bit high and the rpms were too low unless I was doing well over the limit(I have 3.55s). Actually thats what I was running it in when I first started this thread. This was the first time I've towed this trailer since I've got it and is actually the heaviest I've towed with it(other then snowmobiles etc).

I think I was more surprised then anything that a empty trailer like that would make the truck feel so different. Hopefully everything works out when I put my bobcat 753 and a couple attachments on it!

Oh and the tires are 285/75/16.

Thanks for the replys everyone!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts