Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In August 2006, my lift pump was upgraded to the in tank type pump. In August 2008, that pump failed and had to be replaced. Now, just yesterday, the truck died again and would not start. I'm expecting to hear that it is the injection pump. Although the injection pump is very expensive, my chief concern is whether or not I can trust my truck. I don't want to get stranded with my 32' fifth wheel in tow. I have three questions:

1. Will my lift pump fail again?
2. I had my truck towed to the local dodge dealership. Is there a way to save some significant $ if I must replace the injector pump?
3. If I do replace injector pump, can I consider my truck reliable or should I prepare myself for future failures?

Ahead of time, thanks for any and all help.

Eric

·
Registered
993 Posts
Fill out your sig. so we no what year you have.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My truck is 2002 dodge 2500. I just updated my sig, thanks for the tip.

·
Premium Member
25,253 Posts
Get a fuel pressure gauge on it if you don't have one allready. Monitor your fuel pressure, at the 1st sign of low pressure, look into the cause, this atleast may save your Injection pump. A quality aftermarket pump may also put your mind at ease.

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Registered
13 Posts
they wouldn,t sell as many....

i used to swear by my cummins i have owned 8 since 93, and now i am having to replace my complete engine because of a lift pump failure whicj led to worse problems basicallly ruining my engine, if people knew the expense and the short cumming of thier designs they would'nt be selling any more cummins in dodge's, and if it has over 100k they will not stand behind their product even when the know thier design led to the failure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AfterMarket

Hey BBRam, what after market pump do you suggest?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Hey BBRam, what after market pump do you suggest?
Any would be good, the eliminator and airdog both have lifetime warranties or you could look at the fass, any would take care of you and keep the vp happy.

·
Premium Member
25,253 Posts
Along with the above, Glacier Diesels Fuel Boss is also a good choice for the 2nd gen trucks.

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Premium Member
25,253 Posts
i used to swear by my cummins i have owned 8 since 93, and now i am having to replace my complete engine because of a lift pump failure whicj led to worse problems basicallly ruining my engine, if people knew the expense and the short cumming of thier designs they would'nt be selling any more cummins in dodge's, and if it has over 100k they will not stand behind their product even when the know thier design led to the failure.
Allright I'll bite, How did a failed lift pump cause the failure of an engine? :popcorn:

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Registered
573 Posts
ive that no gen2s are reliable intill you ditch that intank pump and go for a FASS unit. Luckily I had a fuel pressure guage hooked up when I had my intank-pump and was able to varify that under any kind of throttle the pressure was no where near sufficient to keep the vp44 pump happy(under WOT it would hit 0psi). Once your fuel pressure issues are taken care off, these trucks are near bulletproof.

·
Premium Member
25,253 Posts
Allright I'll bite, How did a failed lift pump cause the failure of an engine? :popcorn:
I'm waiting. :popcorn::popcorn:

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Banned
393 Posts
I had a 2004.5 that the lift pump failed in. the truck was still under warranty, so they replaced JUST the lift pump. I immediatly drove the truck to my friend who has a nice shop, and had him install the Raptor pump, and install a fuel pressure guage. It ran great and kept the CP happy for about a week. Seems that the failure of the lift pump did alot of damage when it went out and i didnt even notice. The dealership claimed that they inspected the CP3 pump, but obviosly they didnt. They replaced it under warranty. Now it runs like a raped APE.

·
Banned
393 Posts
Also My fiances Dads truck is an 05 and its lift pump went out at the same mileage ( within 100 miles.) They only installed a lift pump, and he drives it like crap. He shuts it down hot, drives it like a gasser, and generally just treats it like crap. It now has 140,000 miles on her, and runs like a mother. my point is, if a failed pump caused the dammage to your engine, then either something was previously seriously wrong, or the mechanic iss full of $hit. These engines take serious abuse, they're built for it. You can get a rebuilt VP guranteed for 100,000 by Industrial injection, or one by DPP, for a handsome some of 1200$. That is alot better than $2000 by the dealership. And if you get a manual, you can put iy on, and ave yourself an additional $300-$400.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts