Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright folks, I have questions. I was BS’ing with some buddies and they were boasting about the extra power of my new truck that will be delivered next week…. So I started looking up some reviews and such and I stumbled on a PDF and it has seemingly muddied the water on me….. I just purchased a 2018 Ram 3500 Big Horn with the Aisin transmission. I’m going from a 2016 Ram 2500 with a 68RFE. So…. Here’s what I stumbled across….. the “2018 Ram Specs” PDF for the 3500 shows Cummins specs for a G56 manual, a regular 6.7L I6 WITH the Aisin Transmission, and the 6.7L I6 High Output also with the Aisin transmission….. My window sticker does not say High Output…. I have read on the forums “all Aisin’s are High Output…. But this PDF confuses me. I’ll say this 2018 runs WAY better than my 2016 for power, and it’s much quieter leading me to believe it’s HO…. But could the PDF be a typo? Here’s the link to it, as well as a screenshot, and a screenshot of my window sticker.
EDIT: I know that 2018 was a new model year…. fir what it’s worth, My truck Does have the different grill than what came on the 2017s. It’s the same body style with the newer grill essentially. I included a pic for reference.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
2018 isn't a new model year, 2019 was. I wasn't aware you could get a non-HO Aisin truck. You could make that power up in tuning if that's the case.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Enter your new VIN here.
That told me the same thing my window sticker said. Which is that I have a cummins but it doesn’t specify high output. Which is the reason for my post. I had read that the Cummins with the Aisin only comes with High Output. But that PDF makes it seem like you can get a standard output engine with the Aisin…. But that PDF also leaves out the 68RFE in the 3500 configuration all together. Which, to my knowledge, the 68RFE was, and still is, offered in the 3500. I am guessing that the Aisin with the HO is implied, and my truck has it and the PDF is a typo. Im just looking for clarification.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Do you have the whole window sticker to look at?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2018 isn't a new model year, 2019 was. I wasn't aware you could get a non-HO Aisin truck. You could make that power up in tuning if that's the case.
That’s right. But still I don’t know if you can. That’s why I’m asking. It doesn’t make sense to me that Ram would offer a standard output for the Aisin and offer the high output. I’d think they’d keep that all the same. If you look at that PDF, it leaves out the 68RFE for the cummins all together

·
Registered
121 Posts
As far as I know the Aisin only comes as high output. I'm leaning towards a typo. Can you post the VIN?

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
That’s right. But still I don’t know if you can. That’s why I’m asking. It doesn’t make sense to me that Ram would offer a standard output for the Aisin and offer the high output. I’d think they’d keep that all the same. If you look at that PDF, it leaves out the 68RFE for the cummins all together
Wouldn't be the first time they have a typo. You have the canadian site clipped there, what does the .com site show?

Reactions: leipard308

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
It’s in the pictures above. It does not specify HO. But I have read this question asked before and people have said “if it’s an Aisin, it’s an HO.”
No, you show part of it, what does the whole sticker look like?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wouldn't be the first time they have a typo. You have the canadian site clipped there, what does the .com site show?
I can’t find the US spec sheet. I did, however, find a dealer towing and capacity spec and it does only list the Aisin as HO on that PDF. I just want to make sure I know what to tell the dealer if I need it worked on. “Hey, this is an Aisin without the HO.” So they don’t screw it up lol. But I bet they’re all HO if they have the Aisin

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I can’t find the US spec sheet. I did, however, find a dealer towing and capacity spec and it does only list the Aisin as HO on that PDF. I just want to make sure I know what to tell the dealer if I need it worked on. “Hey, this is an Aisin without the HO.” So they don’t screw it up lol. But I bet they’re all HO if they have the Aisin
There's really no difference between the HO and SO engines maintenance wise.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
ran it thru RAM website nothing about an HO just Cummins turbo diesel ?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts