Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulling a 3 horse goosneck horse trailer with 2 horses in it today and while going up a couple small hills the truck seemed like something was slipping. The truck would jerk a little until I eased up on the pedal. I was in 6th gear at around 18-2200 rpm under a constant power. Never noticed any problems with it before and the first thing that came to mind was the clutch. 160,000 miles on it with Im assuming the stock clutch. Has Edge juice w/ attitude, usually run on 3 setting unless pulling a trailer than 2 if I remember to switch it. Does this sound like the clutch? If so what clutch would you recommend? Daily driver and not planning on going crazy with the HP. May do injectors down the road,100 horse or so but will probably leave it as it is. I need something reliable. Sometimes a little heavy on the go pedal so consider that. What should I expect to spend and how much to install if I dont do it myself. Getting cold out and dont have a garage to work in. Also how soon does this need to be done? Will it hang in there for a while if Im easy on it? Was going to drive back to Ohio this weekend, 275 miles one way,probably not a good idea right? Thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
Mine's been doing this for a few weeks, so I was able to order a new flywheel and clutch and am planning on changing them out soon. I have the exact same problem. While going up hills mainly, in 5th or 6th gear, with steady pedal pressure i will suddenly get what almost feels like an engine that needs to have its timing set. Just light little jerks right when the truck needs to pull a little bit harder while ascending the hill.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats exactly what mines doing. Havnt driven it without the trailer yet but im sure it will start doing it all the time. Better figure out what i want and get it ordered.

·
Registered
194 Posts
When my clutch was going it wasn't grabie(sp) (grab-ee), frick I don't know how to spell it. The engine was obviously revving faster than my ground speed was increasing. Also sounded like when you're in too high a gear at too slow a speed, even though it was turning 2000rpm.

·
COAL,GUNS,FREEDOM
2,397 Posts
the easy way to tell if shes slippin is to get into 6th gear and lug it out to about 45 mph. Mash the throttle and you should start spooling up and then it will slip and your PRM's will go up but your speed wont. You should also smell it. I had the EXACT same thing happen to me...25 ft goosneck stock trailer with 3 horses in it 200 miles from home. Climbing up a hill, rpm's kept climbing but no speed. Clutch was toast. Your safe bet would be to change it out. Get ahold of Dan at Valair clutches. He is on Here. I ordered the Stock HD replacement for mine and it works ausome. Since you dont plan on going for big HP this would be a good choice. It is rated for 400hp and 900 ft/lbs

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info guys. Ive been searching the forums and I think Im gonna try Valair. Havnt found anything bad about them yet. You remember what the Hd replacement cost you? Thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
I think I spent 500 for flywheel & clutch at midwesttruckproducts. Same valair HD single disk clutch. 400hp/900(#/ft) free shipping too!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
guess thats not too bad, thanks for the info, now I just gotta figure out if I want to try and work out of a friends garage or just take it to someone

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
it will only take a day to pull the tranny out, put the clutch in and throw the tranny back in, i know i have done it multiple times:doh: its a pretty easy project, i wouldnt spend the coin to have someone else do it

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it is a job that can be done by one person it does it take extra hands? I only want to do this once so Im thinking about putting in the 13.00" x 1.375" Performance Replacement
Ceramic / Kevlar Buttons. Ill give them a call and talk to them today but since its before work time whats everyone's opinion. Like I said I use it to pull horses pretty frequently and as a daily driver. May go for a few more HP down the road but not crazy, dont want to have to worry about the clutch going out. The ceramic clutch is cheaper but rated higher, is the ceramic more grabbie or what if the down side to the different materials?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tried calling with no answer, may be after hours. Dan, sent you a PM with my number, if you would call me when you get time. No huge hurry so during work hours is fine. Thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
Funny thing, because of your thread I noticed that I ordered the wrong valair clutch! They're working with me to swap my 350hp clutch disc for the 400hp. So I owe you one!!

Btw, thumps up to valair & midwesttruck's customer service!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
glad I could help. not 100% sure Im ready to buy a clutch. I tried getting it to slip today and couldnt. set edge to 5x5 and lugged it in 5th and 6 both, put the pedal on the floor and had to let up because it was getting to fast for the road I was on. Set on 3x5, put it on the floor from a stop sign in 2nd, tires started to spin so shifted to 3rd and it took off without slipping. Any thoughts? talk to a retired mechanic and he said if I didnt notice an increase in the rpms when it did it he didnt think it was the clutch. May just do it under load? Wanted to hook the trailer up and drive without the horses to try and see what it would do but its raining so gave up on that for now. Edge setting was on 3 instead of 2 when it did it but I was not heavy into the pedal so I didnt think that would have made a big deal? Think its safe to drive 500 miles this weekend? If it breaks down I can only imagine the wifes reaction, it will be a cold lonely tow home. got AAA 100 miles service at least

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
well if i were going to chance it i'd quit trying to make it slip, take it easy and you should be ok, how long did it slip?, did you smell the clutch?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no didnt smell anything, was just going up a couple slight longer hills with the horse trailer and the truck started lightly jerking. I figured it would have been the clutch but after talking to a guy today he said I should have noticed the rpms spike if it is the clutch but I did not. Not planning on running it hard just wanted to see what it would do before I try and take it on a long trip.Just not so sure its the clutch, dont know what else it would be. When clutches do go is it over a period of time or pretty quickly?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts