Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been battling this problem for awhile now.. I guess my question is,
If I have the motor at tdc should I be able to see the timing tooth in the ppump if set at 18 degrees advanced? Cause I’m not seeing it in the hole at tdc

·
Registered
30 Posts
Stock timing is generally around 12-13* that’s where pin timing is going to put you. Somewhere in that region. You need a degree wheel or p7100 timing kit to get to 18* accurately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also are you pinning the block?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes block is pinned at tdc and I see no flag in my ppump, removed pins and rotated the motor counter clock wise and I saw the flag and was able to pin the ppump. Would you say it could be to advanced if you can’t see it at tdc ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Off topic but what would a bent exhaust valve make the truck sound like? Would it lope and smoke white ? And sound like garbage when giving it fuel? All new injectors and replaced head gasket and had #5 push rod crack at the cone part. Before replacing. Could I have bent that exhaust valve. All this happened due to high rpm and “abuse” on interstate

·
Registered
769 Posts
Are you at TDC for number 1? Remove the number one valve cover and see if both valves are closed. Should have slight play at rocker/valve. A page from the manual:

·
VP of the dry side
4,208 Posts
If you set it back to stock timing. Pinning the pump and the motor. You shouldn't have any chop or anything strange happening. I'm not sure how far the flag is from the hole at higher timing as I dont even mess with it. But if timing is retarded well below factory they typically do not run very well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,337 Posts
Also be aware that the cam timing pin is adjustable. There is no guarantee that if the pin is in that the engine is at TDC. A much better method id the drop valve method. The procedure is in the fsm for when the cam timing pin & housing are replaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts