Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

is it worth deleting the egr

1560 19
my cuz has a 07.5 6.7 3500 an he deleted the egr but told me it aint worth the hassle is it or should i just leave it alone
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
235 Posts
You will need to spend money on a smarty if u don't want codes but
I got +3mpg around town, longer engine life due to lack of crud, cleaner oil
and -100F at idle, up to 300F less just driving around. Takes 10 minutes with
the smarty. While you're at it, do the dpf delete. -300F and +4mpg for me.
Took about 2 hours. Yeah, it was very much worth it to remove the legislated
crap from my truck!!!!
Bill

· Braaap, Braaap, BOOM!!!
6,917 Posts
YES ITS WORTH DELETEING! Suck on you exhaust, that's what your trucks breathing.

· Registered
235 Posts
Just make sure it is pre march 09 or the programmers won't work!

· Registered
243 Posts
i agree i did mine and love it better fuel millage its almost like having my 5.9 back again

· Registered
91 Posts
If I just unplug it will this fit the same purpose of deleting it???? Wont my edge clear the CEL on startup? I think I heard u have to remove the butterfly also if you unplug it?

· Retired Old Fart!
10,495 Posts
If I just unplug it will this fit the same purpose of deleting it???? Wont my edge clear the CEL on startup? I think I heard u have to remove the butterfly also if you unplug it?
DO NOT clear the EGR code if you do not have the DPF deleted. Your truck will throw a lightning bolt & codes as well as run rough, DURING REGENs. I can be cleared manually after. Just a real PITA during the regen. I know from experience.
Tips:
EGR can be unplugged with CEL anytime
DPF can be deleted with or without the EGR unplugged/blocked (no codes with sims)
Code clearing only works well for EGR code WITH DPF deleted. :thumbsup:

· PDRT
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
does any one know where i can get the dpf delete sims

· Registered
5,521 Posts
Rollin' Smoke Diesel:thumbsup:

· PDRT
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what are they under

· Registered
235 Posts
we got us a convert! :)
Before u get started down this path, slow down and think
about your long term goals!!! Whatever u do, you really
don't want to spend money two or three times when
your plan changes. First it was EGR delete, then DPF, then
HP adds, etc. Sit down, write out your goals and research
your options. If I had realized where I was going I would
have started with the Smarty instead of the Hypertech, etc
and saved a ton of money by not doing rework.

· PDRT
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well i plan on buying a dpf delete kit an a smarty an plan on putting two forty five stacks 18 in moto rims an new tires but im a little short on money right now ill be getting 33 grand here in march an thats when i plan on getting the delete an the smarty then the rims an tires an stacks right now im just running it with the down pipe an i just put resistors in but they keep blowing

· Registered
235 Posts
If you're burning up resistors, they are either wired up incorrectly or are too low of a wattage. If they are hooked up wrong u are putting the box they are hooked up to at risk! Between replacement parts availability and $$$ watch out! Can anyone who has done the homebrew resistors give him some tips?

· Retired Old Fart!
10,495 Posts
Sounds to me like you are putting the resistors in the wrong place. 1/4 watt resistors can easily handle the voltage levels of those signal lines. I used them for a long time before getting real sims. Look in the DIY link in my signature for pics and an abundance of great info on the delete.

· PDRT
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i used 330ohm 1/4 watt in the egts an 110 ohm 1/4 watt an 390 ohm 1/4 watt in the pressure sensor thats how i was told to do it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.