Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard somebody comment on the forum that a dealer had told him it was possible to order a 5.9 CTD in a new 2009 Dodge Ram. I wondered if there was any truth to the matter, so I did a little digging on the internet. The first result I got was from the Cummins website. Some information there was posted about the 5.9 still being in production for the Ram pick-up trucks, until June 2009, at least for the Mexico Cummins Rams.

Then I did another search for Dodge of Mexico, and sure enough. The 5.9 Cummins is shown as the main engine for the Dodge Ram 2500 trucks.

Now I am sure there are plenty of hold ups to get a 5.9 CTD Ram here in America, but maybe there is some sort of loop-hole?

I was seriously considering a new 2009 Ram, but I'm afraid the 6.7 CTD is going to be problematic when it comes to modifications. All this talk about the 2009 ECUs being locked doesn't sound like good news. That and all the emission problems guys have been having with the turbos getting sooted up, particle filters plugging, ect.

Maybe I'm dreaming, but I sure would like to find a way to get a 2009 with a Cummins 5.9.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Buy a new truck in mexico, get a mexican address and keep mexican tags on it and drive it in the US.

That's about the only way. Mexico trucks can't be imported to the US as far as I know.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Yes you can, but only in fairyland... :hehe:

04SSHD, are the even still producing the 5.9?

·
Registered
28 Posts
all you need is vehicle insurance and your ok, thats how my father does it. and yes they still make the 5.9

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all you need is vehicle insurance and your ok, thats how my father does it. and yes they still make the 5.9
Care to elaborate on that? What exactly do you mean? What is your father's situation?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Why not look for a low mileage 07? That way you don't take the hit on depreciation or have to worry about owning a grey-market vehicle.

I used to work in a Benz shop and every so often we would get the pleasure of working on eurospec models that didn't have all the ugly US crash bumpers and crappy US spec headlights. Dealers will not always work on these cars. In the 80's many people were going to europe to buy their mercedes to save tons of money over buying from US dealers. US dealers caught on to this and got in kahootz with the insurance companies who now won't always insure these types of cars. This is all in addition to the differing emissions and safety regulations.

You may have similar "black list" problems with your 09 5.9.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear you. I am looking at all the options right now, but I really don't want to buy a used truck that has been somebody else's headache, or abused. I've been searching autotrader for an '07 with a 5.9 and there are a couple listed. Not exactly what I am after, as far other options go, but I am willing to sacrafice a little to get a 5.9. It's pretty hard to find a super low mileage 5.9 CTD, 4x4, 2500 or 3500 with a manual 6 speed, short box, and quad cab or mega (were they even available then).

The idea of a 2009 5.9 would be perfect. Only Mexico has them, but I will ask my local dealer anyway, even though I am sure the answer will be no. :lol4: Doesn't hurt to ask.

I understand about the insurance now. Seems Mexico has some neat varations of other Dodge vehicles too. Not just trucks.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I would look for a used one

Honestly I've had better luck with used rigs then brand new ones.

Know people that have had the same luck.

My buddy just bought an 06 Cummins with only 4500 miles on it.

Look hard and you will find a nice used truck and save money.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
hell used is the way i bought my 06 in 06 with 8k on the truck and all the plastic still on the seats its a mega with all the options but leather and i paid 26k for it cant beat that ppl were buying the same truck for 60k

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bought mine used with 60K on the clock. Has 89K now and the ONLY problem I've had with the truck is the power-steering pump went out. (it was under warranty so no sweat)...

DH

·
Registered
152 Posts
Seems Mexico has some neat varations of other Dodge vehicles too. Not just trucks.
Yeah, Pretty COoL!:hehe::hehe::hehe: Maybe I'll drive down there and see if they'll trade me straight up.:hehe::hehe:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh, and I only paid 27K for mine... Not bad IMO.. Truck was in perfect condition...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Versión Precio
5.9L 2500 SLT DIESEL Q CAB 4X2 2009 $414,900
5.9L 2500 SLT DIESEL Q CAB 4X4 2009 $454,900 =$34,412USD

From the Mexi Website

·
Registered
533 Posts
34000 thats crazy.. im going to mexico :drool2:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
i wanted to bring in a TD5 land rover discovery into the USA. First off to get it licensed you need to have it inspected. Then emissions need to meet U.S. standards and crash specs. After that if you passed all that you need to pay customs on that vehicle. AKA it was going to cost me 15k to bring in a 5k vehicle.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've checked into importing vehicles some years back. I know they require an inspection, so basically a 5.9 CTD Ram would probably not meet the EPA standards, upon inspection.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Are there some federal laws on inspection and emissions? Or do you just have to pass state laws?

If state, you are good to go in Montana.

Montana has no emissions and no state inspection.

In Montana you can put a horn, a brake light, headlight and mirror on an ATV and make it street legal.

Did I mention I love Montana?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
its federal emmisions. Btw, all this has to be in port or get a pass for 90 days to keep the vehicle in the usa. If its here longer than 90 days it can be impounded and crushed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
There might be hope. I know that Canada has much more lax import rules. I was looking at getting a G-wagen a year ago and getting one that was imported from Japan since they are so well cared for. There are tons of cars exported from Japan that end up in B.C. and some of them make their way into the US via Canada (ie Nissan Skylines, right hand drive diesel Landcruisers etc). Maybe you could ship it to Canada, then drive it across the border:banghead: It is way too hard to get a vehicle spec'd the way you want in this country.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, it would be really nice if I could import one, but I just think the odds are against it. To import something to Canada, from Mexico, and then to the USA, would still require the truck to meet the EPA regulations of the USA, before it would legally pass inspections, I think. Doesn't seem to be any easy way to get what I want. I really wish I would have ordered a 2007 back when the 5.9 was still available, instead of waiting. Finding just the right truck in a used market is tough too.

How many 2007 5.9 CTD Rams are there with 6 speeds, 4WD, anti-spin rear diffs, mega-cabs, or quad cabs, short boxes, manually shifted transfer cases, and sport packages, or specific colors that I really want. I wouldn't be to picky about the sport packages or color, to a point, but extremely low mileage, unabused, and never seen salt roads during winter is going to be impossible....probably.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts