Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is buying an aftermarket exhaust worth it besides looks? Would I not achieve the same results for a stock to mildly mod'd truck by eliminating the muffler? I am new here so please don't flame me for a stupid question. Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
U hav a 4in from the factory so a good high flow muffler should b good for just small mods. some mufflers are direct fit or you can buy just a universal and adapt it into your stock exhaust

·
Registered
568 Posts
4 in good for a while, depends on long term idea for truck, i started with just hi flow muff then went to FBD 5in turbo back when things got hot, if you are going to replace exhaust go with 5in FBD you will not be disappointed

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
4 in is all ya need... really.
lots of people have cut off their pipe right behind the cat and leave it. (ram_this) did that... sounds fair not too noisy.
I wish I hadn't gotten the stacks (all show, takes up space) and just left my 4 in straight pipe out the side.
it's up to you... the main difference in hacking it and replacing it with something fancy to the exit is the tone and the looks.
if your going cheap just hack it and clamp up a half @$$ piece of pipe or even flex pipe to keep cab noise down and make it look like your truck isn't on fire when it smokes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i just ordered a straight pipe from genos garage. it already has the offset so it fits directly where your stock muffler did. that way it doesnt look like a hack job and you have a nice sounding truck for $70! :thumbsup im real happy with mine cuz i really didnt want to spend $500+ on a new exhaust when mine isnt rusted out yet

·
Registered
154 Posts
What about the big honey bee hive looking piece before the muffler? I take it that is the cat converter....Is safe to say it's can be removed also? And does it help to remove it?

·
Registered
73 Posts
actually the stock exhaust systems are very restrictive on our trucks a good turbo back system really wakes em up to be honest

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
please just do your self a favor and get the 5" TBE, so you wont regret buying a 4" system. not that much in price difference.

you will not lose any low end torque!!!!!!!!!!!

diesel's are not sensitive to back pressure. the less back pressure you have the easier it is to spool up the turbo.

how much do you want to bet that some1 will argue this. .............:thumbsup:hyper::beer

·
Premium Member
6,758 Posts
Waste of money unless you're making 600 HP, just change your muffler.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I would just change the muffler myselft and cut the cat. On my 06 the exhaust doesnt look that restrictive at all once the muffler has been replaced and the cat removed.

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,432 Posts
Kind of up to you, but I replaced my whole system with the 5" TBE from MBRP and really like it. If you wanna save money for now, you can do what the others are saying, and either straight pipe it, or get you a high flow muffler for now. Depends on how much you wanna spend!!:$::thumbsup

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
if you lived in So cal id donate a Banks muffler to you.............just don't feel like shipping it. unless real interested. can work something out. doesn look like the greatest thing........has been on my truck since it was born. it was in place for the stock muffler, up until last week when i got my 5"TBE:thumbsup

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Waste of money unless you're making 600 HP, just change your muffler.
wrong bro

if you put an after market exhaust next to the stock one you will that there a re alot fewer bends..the stock exhaust has bends that have no purpose to them and they are not even mandrel bent...an aftermarket exhaust and a CAI willa dd 1-2 MPGs

·
Premium Member
6,758 Posts
I don't think so, maybe on the 2nd generations there was "extra" bends?

A few years ago the trucks came with 3" exhaust, people would buy a new truck and right away put a 4" on.
Now they come with 4" so people still automatically go and put 5" on, or dual tail pipes, and most of them only do it cuz it looks all cool and shiny and sh!t.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I don't think so, maybe on the 2nd generations there was "extra" bends?

A few years ago the trucks came with 3" exhaust, people would buy a new truck and right away put a 4" on.
Now they come with 4" so people still automatically go and put 5" on, or dual tail pipes, and most of them only do it cuz it looks all cool and shiny and sh!t.
it was 3.5" on the 2nd gens but here are alot of unecessary bends..it might not appear that way but put an aftermarket next to stock and youll see the difference

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hes not kidding!!! Have a closer look at the Down pipe from the factory. It has multiple bends that serve no purpose...and that IS on a 3rd generation. On my first 2004.5, I immediately threw on a 4" Silverline TBE when i purchased the truck. On My new 2007 5.9, I just did the Cat delete, and put on a free flowing Flo-Pro muffler. There is a huge difference between the two. I plan very soon on replacing what i just did with an entire exhaust. An aftermarket down pipe is designed much better than the factory one, and they also use a mandrel bender so you dont have any kinks like the factory exhaust. The sound will be better...less raspy, and the torque is a noticable gain. Delete kits are good for a budget, but nothing can replace a well designed entire replacement.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Although everyone has their own opinions...the way i look at it is this: If the factory exhaust is good, then why do they go through the trouble of making Mandrel bent exhaust kits? Why do they design the aftermarket kits to have fewer bends? Just a few thought I answered myself before i spent money before...and what i should have done again.

·
Premium Member
6,758 Posts
Although everyone has their own opinions...the way i look at it is this: If the factory exhaust is good, then why do they go through the trouble of making Mandrel bent exhaust kits? Why do they design the aftermarket kits to have fewer bends? Just a few thought I answered myself before i spent money before...and what i should have done again.
Why?

Because there's tons of gullible people sucked into believing the nice shiny stuff is better thanks to glitzy (to match the pipes) after market advertising.

Hey, it's your money, you don't need to convince me you didn't blow a lotta money for nothing, but when you see people posting questions on forums asking for advice on how to clean their nice shiny aftermarket exhaust I just gotta laugh! :rof

·
Registered
434 Posts
What about Aluminized? Its not nice and shiny. And the stats are there to prove it...im not trying to argue about it...but its just in my experience, they seem alot more functional. Look at the back of your exhaust...at the bend in the tailpipe, you can see the kinks in the bends. And the DP has some funky bends as well.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts