Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im lookin at a 2000 cummins and i dnt see many on this site. I was just wonderin if there was anything wrong or diff. on the 2000?

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
ya, it's not an 02' :lol3: 2000's are great. but i like having rear disc brakes... (01.5-02 2nd gen & all 3rd)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Don't let the brake thing scare you.. You will replace the front brakes on any of these trucks 2 times to the 1 time for the rear. My 99 stops just as good as a disk brake truck... I wonder why semi's have not gone to disk brakes?

Just make sur eit has good fuel pressure as the vp trucks have issues there. Also look at the front end or have someone check it out for you.. ball joints die on all of them and drag links crap out on the 4X4 models.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ball joints i can just jack it up and put a bar under the tire and see if theres any movement right. What should the fuel pressure be and how can i check it?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Don't let the brake thing scare you.. You will replace the front brakes on any of these trucks 2 times to the 1 time for the rear. My 99 stops just as good as a disk brake truck... I wonder why semi's have not gone to disk brakes?

Just make sure it has good fuel pressure as the vp trucks have issues there. Also look at the front end or have someone check it out for you.. ball joints die on all of them and drag links crap out on the 4X4 models.
fixed you typo there, and highlighted the important part.

The IP will fail if it doesn't have proper fuel pressure from the lift pump. There are many fixes for this issue just read about FASS, Air Dog, Walbro, Vulcan big lines, and put a gauge on the fuel system after the lift pump.

The brakes can be converted to a disk setup if you really want to spend more :$:

·
Registered
684 Posts
What should the fuel pressure be and how can i check it?
Numbers vary on what folks will say.

I say, you need 8 psi at the injection pump to activate the bypass that cools the pump. So I don't let mine go lower than 10. 15-18 psi is what I was shooting for.

·
If you aint 1st..Ure LAST
2,298 Posts
i got a 2000 so i say go for it. i have replaced my breaks. need a lil work on front end and fuel system upgrades and it runs great.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Bad year and cummins are like ice cream and tuna fish....they just done belong in the same sentance

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Please be one of the smart ones and plan on a good fuel system upgrade to start with. If yo ubudget for it from the get go it is not going to be a big deal.. Somethign like the Airdog 150 or th eFASS 150 plus draw straw... If you don't and it eats the VP then you need to plan for a $2000 fix.. LP and IP all at one time.. After a fuel upgrade it will be like a RONCO.. Just st it and forget it.

Oh and thanks jefff929 for taking care of that for me...LOL

·
Registered
220 Posts
Actually, the 2000 model year trucks are absolutely the best year made! They're the perdiest & more powerful than any years before or since. It must be true, cause I've got one! :D

Mine has only lost one LP, and one CPS and that's it. The front end on mine is still good. I've replaced front brake pads once. ~140k.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You dont need the draw straw (larger fuel pick up in the tank) unless the previous owner had the block mounted LP replaced with the Dodge in tank pump. If the LP is still block mounted then get an Air Dog pump or pump/filter system. They have fuel pres regulators built in and are about $100 cheeper than the FASS system. Sorry FASS, but $100 is 20 gal of fuel these days.
I run my Air Dog at 14.5 psi as set with the guage I installed right off the VP-44 inlet. I ran a grease gun hose to a T and installed the sender for the guage and an idiot light from a Freightliner ($13) as a back up to get my attention. The reason for the hose is to isolate the senders from the vibration of the engine and have them last longer. Check my pics in the gallery for details.
As stated above, you can do it for a few bucks now, or send a lot later. Other than that I don't see anything wrong with the 2000 trucks that dosen't happen with the rest. Do careful Maintenance and if it's an auto, plan on trans upgrades BEFORE going to chips/turbos/programers or you'll spend a lot of time at the shop.
Chris

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Any pump pushing 150GPH will need a draw straw... If you buy the baby pump then no need..

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok so my ? is if i go and look at 2000 CTD . Is there anyway i can test it before i buy it? or if im gana put an airdog on right away does it matter. Oh and the new truck had a new LP and IP put on it.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another ? i have is when you have a FP guage what if it starts to read low fuel presure what do you do? Can you adjust something.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Another ? i have is when you have a FP guage what if it starts to read low fuel presure what do you do? Can you adjust something.
Change the fuel filter. If that doesn't work, put a mechanical gauge on it. Your lp might be inop if it still is at 0psi.

when checking out this truck you can put a mechanical gauge on the IP at the port on the side, it is a valve similar to the valve on a tire. you have to push a pin to get it to work. #3 in the picture below.

You can get less restrictive banjo bolts too.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If I understand the intention of your question, what you mean is, what do you do if the FP gauge begins to indicate that the LP is failing. If that's the intention, here is the answer.

The LP frequently fails slowly. It may run low pressure for a while and then go right back up. I think at the first sign of low pressure, replace the LP as soon as possible, and your IP should be OK.

Others can correct me where I may be wrong.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
2000's are THE best cummins!!!!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok gues so i need a FP guage and i push it onto the test fitting while the trucks running? is that right

·
Registered
684 Posts
ok gues so i need a FP guage and i push it onto the test fitting while the trucks running? is that right
yep, in the picture above it doesn't really show it very well. There is really a cap much like a valve stem on a tire that you remove and thread the gauge on. It should read from 10-15 or a little higher at idle and no less than 10psi at WOT. IMO:w:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts