Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a local dealer has a real nice black 05 with quad cab short bed 6 speed trans
everything i want but it has 180000 miles on it for 18K is this to many miles for the price or what ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
you might not care about what im about to say for 2 reasons, 1 im 14, 2 im talkin bout a hemi and not a cummins but our truck is an 04 1500 with about 180k on it and it just started falling apart in the last year, were to the point that we need a new truck, i keep telling my dad 06 cummins because i know it'll be mine

·
Paranoid
432 Posts
Is it too many miles for the truck? No. Is it too many miles for that price? Yes. Without knowing the previous owner and the exact maintenance history on the truck, I wouldn't go above $15,500 if it were my choice. Unforseen and expensive repairs could be in the near future if it wasn't taken care of.

Good luck.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I hope not:doh: I have 172,000 and my truck has been properly maintained since new.

I love the cummins motor but hate the Dodge crap quality of the over all parts that make up this thing. Check the drivetrain parts over real good. if you don't see zerks on all u-joints (except front drive shaft it uses a needle to grease it) run run away cause you have $$$$ replacing all these parts. Get the front end off the ground and check the front unit bearings. Check for a blown front pinion seal. Make sure it is not dribbling antifreeze out the weep hole of the water pump.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
If your asking about that price i want to know how much you paid for the truck in your signature 100k? Times are tough now you should be able to pick one up with 100k miles for 18k pretty easy I have seen them all over. A dealer is the worst place to buy from!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wrong forum kid..
well im sorry, god forbid i say anything about anything else but cummins, ONE TIME, not tryin to be smart but i mean really?

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
well im sorry, god forbid i say anything about anything else but cummins, ONE TIME, not tryin to be smart but i mean really?
You compared how long a hemi last to a cummins :buttkick: , your comparin apples to oranges , No one hook this kid up with a diesel cheap , all we need is another kid blowing smoke thinking he is cool :banghead:

Reactions: Drew G.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
You compared how long a hemi last to a cummins :buttkick: , your comparin apples to oranges , No one hook this kid up with a diesel cheap , all we need is another kid blowing smoke thinking he is cool :banghead:
he is not even the OP

Reactions: 1BadOilBurnerN-Lv

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
As to the op , Offer 15k and make sure to go over the truck just to make sure your not going to buy a money pit , then again if you get it for 15k that leaves money for little things here n there :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Wish I was a used car dealer I bet they gave 7k for that truck. I wouldn't buy any think with 180k IMO specially for 18k even 15k but thats just me I rather spend less money on a older cummins with low miles. You can get a bad azz older cummins for 15k easy but what do I know :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
I guess you really aren't trying to be smart, This IS "CumminsForum.com"

plus, the truck he is looking at... is a 05, this is the 03/04 section..

·
Registered
634 Posts
i would not pay that much for that many miles. I would say more around 13K at most, if they don't bit at 13, walk away, you won't be out any thing but some experience

·
Registered
113 Posts
the deals are out there , we picked up a 07.5 dually with 152k on it last year . 6speed auto 4 door . etc . got it for 15k at a dealer . not a damn thing wrong with the truck . it was always at the dealer for maintence acording to the records . but now the truck has 158k on it and the ty DPF is blocked up . deleting that stuff this weekend ! .

look around the deals are out there , dont be affraid to walk away .

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
180k I would be checking the service records for injectors! If they have not been replaced yet which I would be surprised if they haven't, your going to be looking at, at least a 2000 dollar bill for those babies. If you do it yourself it will be about 600 less. 2 pennies!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts