Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a unique question for any Dodge experts out there:
I recently purchased an old farm truck (1993 D350) and I’ve slowly been figuring out more and more subtle things about it. Well, this weekend I found someone with an identical truck to mine (a flatbed as well) and I noticed that my wheelbase was much longer than the other truck’s. We measured wheelbases on the spot and his was 131” (220” length) which is normal. Mine on the other hand is 161” (20’8” or 248”overall vehicle length) give or take. As it turns out My truck has a [seemingly] factory stretched frame, overload springs and a 8’x11’ flatbed that was on the truck when it was bought new. Has anyone else seen or could provide me any information about custom work or coachbuilt trucks?

All my research can turn up is an overwhelming majority of 131” club cabs, crew cab gassers, and duallies with only one or two examples of extended wheelbases but not extended frames. Has anyone seen or heard of a 161” wheelbase?

From my understanding, old crew cabs shared the same frame (and 131”WB) as most club cab Cummins but the bed was shorter to accommodate.

the reason I ask is because I found a COMPLETE running, driving D200 Crew Cab buried in a military surplus lot, along with a pristine 8’ dually bed and a complete 93 Cummins tow truck with 23,000 miles. For $7000 total I could have it all and maybe make a beautiful Crew Cab D350 with an 8’ bed that would fit the frame already. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
21,341 Posts
You must have whats called a cab and chassis truck, they were sold with no bed. They were usually used for flatbeds, boxes and even RV's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As 9297oldram said, you have a cab and chasis truck. The bed won't line up as the frames are different besides the obvious axle in a different location. You can do the conversion and chop it down and everything if you really desire having the bed or keep both trucks if you decide to purchase the old military rig. A lot of work. Watched a youtuber thats a cummins fan, think Greg A if i recall right, when he was looking at first gens to buy. He passed on a truck because of this.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
135" and 159" are the factory cab & chassis wheelbases. The correspond to 5' and 7' cab/axle dimensions. The axle width on these is 67-68" vs 72" for a DRW pickup. A flatdeck dump, or aftermarket hauler bed is most ideal for these trucks.

The other catch is fitting a crewcab on a non-crewcab frame. The shape isn't right - it either requires lifting the body, or channeling the rear floor area. You could look at stretching the D350 frame or splicing the back-half of it onto the D200.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts