Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the BD iron horn 366sxe with a 1.0 ar installed and I will say compared to my stock turbo with a bad actuator it spools pretty good Ive only put about 30 miles on it but from what I can tell it feels miles better. The sound is way better than stock too IMO. Havent sent it yet, waiting on for trans to learn after retuning.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats! Can you come put mine in tomorrow? It’s just a 364 so it should be easier 😉
Oh god pls no I had a few problems I bought the fleece exhaust studs and the one behind the flange is too long to get my wratcheting wrench on (because they are 12 point i couldnt use the box end) so I had to pull it back off and install the provided stud and nut from bd. Then getting a wrench on that bolt is the worst lol. It didnt help that I did the egr delete at the same time too.

·
Registered
155 Posts
What tune are you running? Curious about smoke output once you have a few more miles on it and can send it. Have yet to install mine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What tune are you running? Curious about smoke output once you have a few more miles on it and can send it. Have yet to install mine.
Right now Im on ez lynk with ctt and after I requested a tune revision it goes from stock to 200 and im on level 3 atm not sure on power level prob around the 100hp range.
Ive gotten on it a little and I will say its less smokey than my stocker with a faulty vgt. Has a light haze at dead stop with 40-50% throttle on takeoff. Honestly idk if they added timing down low to make up for it but it feels way better off the line.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How’d you get to the oil return line on the stock turbo? 8mm socket with a universal?

Thanks!
Yea I removed the front housing and unbolted it, but you can try to pull it from the block from underneath it just pops out and has a couple o-rings. after i got the turbo off I had to spray it with wd-40 and let it sit overnight then worked it out the next day after work lol. Also getting the oil drain back in I bolted it to the turbo and had someone lower it from the top while i guided it in. Theres also a little flimsy metal heat shield that was causing the drain to be too short after going around it so I took a grinder with a cutoff wheel to it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great. Thanks. I was hoping I could pull it without taking that line from the turbo but it kept bottoming out on the line. I’ll try taking the front housing off in the morning

·
Registered
463 Posts
Did you add the BD exhaust brake with it? I'm saving my pennies to do an iron horn before my VG actuator takes an out of warranty dump. I want to keep EB function for towing the 5th wheel and wondering how well it integrates and functions.....

·
Registered
874 Posts
I installed the iron horn 363 and exhaust brake at the same time about a year and a half ago. The turbo and the exhaust brake both work much better than the VGT, with the appropriate tuning. Id never go back. Craig

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you add the BD exhaust brake with it? I'm saving my pennies to do an iron horn before my VG actuator takes an out of warranty dump. I want to keep EB function for towing the 5th wheel and wondering how well it integrates and functions.....
I didn't install an exhaust brake with mine. Don't really need it because I don't really haul much with it even though its a 3500 haha. The tow haul brake works pretty good by itself tbh though.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I installed the iron horn 363 and exhaust brake at the same time about a year and a half ago. The turbo and the exhaust brake both work much better than the VGT, with the appropriate tuning. Id never go back. Craig
I didn't install an exhaust brake with mine. Don't really need it because I don't really haul much with it even though its a 3500 haha. The tow haul brake works pretty good by itself tbh though.
Thanks for the info fellas

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update!!! Yesterday got a chance to get her out on the highway and do some cruising with the new turbo and Im pretty pleased with how it performs. At 73mph at 1550 rpm (35 inch tires) when I was going up 4-5% grades it would build to 5psi and have plenty to pull the hill without ever downshifting. Not sure on what max boost is because it just pegs the boost gauge atm.
Also I was reading where guys put a 366 on their trucks and were saying its laggy and smokey but I dont see that at all even with the 1.0 housing I feel like I could pull a loaded trailer with ease. Now if i could just get this backlash fixed the truck would be pretty much perfect.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts