Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm behind the times, but I saw a video on YouTube where a guy installed an iPad in place(or in front of) his factory radio. Is this Completely custom or is it something that can be purchased? The one I saw was also removable. That would be perfect it has nav, music and Internet plus a sweet display. I'd like to find out more if it's possible.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I didn`t think that you could remove the radio from a dodge truck and install a aftermarket one. I was told that the radios had the computer wiring running thru them!!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Not an issue through the 2012 year model. The 2013 and up really changed with the Climate controls, trailer brake controller, etc operated from the touch screen.

·
Registered
221 Posts
One of the major tuning companies SHOULD have already thought about integrating iPads into these trucks to run their tunes. Instead of $400 for a cheap touch screen module, id rather pay $400 for an ipad mini, heck even my own phone to run the tunes! thatd be a lot more interesting then just running audio.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Wouldn't that be sweet. An 8.4 hack that would give us a tuning or gauge icon down where the climate and stuff is. Bring up that icon and have a layout similar to the CTS with the ability to change tunes on the fly........SCORE!!!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
834 Posts
So, interestingly enough, I got an Nvidia shield tablet for Christmas. It's an 8 inch widescreen tablet, and it has a magnetic cover that attaches to one side. Well, there is a metal bar that holds the magnets and serves as the attachment point of the cover to the tablet. This bar is also almost exactly the same width as the tray on top of the radio. I got a magnetic mount, and the magnet is strong enough that it grabs on to the magnet in the cover that keeps it closed on the tablet and holds it up. So the weight is resting on the dash, and the magnetic mount just keeps it from falling forward or back. It's easy to reach, easy to remove, and looks fairly good IMO.

I can take some pictures if anyone is interested. I'm just trying to find some better adhesive for the dash disk that came with the mount as the stuff on there wasn't real great.

·
Registered
361 Posts
So, interestingly enough, I got an Nvidia shield tablet for Christmas. It's an 8 inch widescreen tablet, and it has a magnetic cover that attaches to one side. Well, there is a metal bar that holds the magnets and serves as the attachment point of the cover to the tablet. This bar is also almost exactly the same width as the tray on top of the radio. I got a magnetic mount, and the magnet is strong enough that it grabs on to the magnet in the cover that keeps it closed on the tablet and holds it up. So the weight is resting on the dash, and the magnetic mount just keeps it from falling forward or back. It's easy to reach, easy to remove, and looks fairly good IMO.

I can take some pictures if anyone is interested. I'm just trying to find some better adhesive for the dash disk that came with the mount as the stuff on there wasn't real great.
Please do :shock::thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've installed one In my F150, and Scion tC. And was wanting to do one in my new dodge. But I went with the 2015 and am trying to find a way to to the install that would be affective. Cause the backup camera is on the 8.4.

Here is the only one I have seen with a 8.4

http://youtu.be/IeVc2X-tzOU

1 - 10 of 10 Posts